My My How Things Can Change So Drastically!(A Look Back At The Fan Perception of Fallout New Vegas)

TheKingofVault14

Fallout Fan For Life!
Since today is the 12th Anniversary of Fallout New Vegas, I figured why not look back on how people perceived FONV throughout the years.

In fact, I made this picture to quickly summarize it all up!

NOTE: This probably isn't fully accurate, but it does give the gist of how people perceived New Vegas, and yes I was one of those people who had these kind of thoughts! I mean what do you expect? I'm a New Generation Fallout Fan after all, thankfully I've done a complete 180° since then around the 2017-2018 period. :wiggle:
Lumii_20221019_053735365.jpg

From being called a buggy mess and overlooked, to being considered a top contender of being the best Fallout game in the series! If this isn't a perfect example of being vindicated by history, then I don't know what is.

So I guess to wrap things up, this question goes out to my fellow New Generation Fallout Fans.
When did your perception(no pun intended) start to change for Fallout New Vegas? Personally for me, the process was a slow gradual shift. My disappointment with Fallout 4 after completing it fully was the starting point, and then what broke the camel's back for me was the whole 76 debacle. That's when I started to reflect and see Bethesda's mediocrity, and their downward spiral of absolute watering down of RPG Mechanics and so forth, compared to the greatness that is FONV! Also, FO1 and FO2 played a huge factor too for changing my mind on FONV, as I've previously have mentioned on here. :-)

I am not sure of the date when I first played NV. At a guess I would say 2011, 2012. I never had problems with it crashing as people say it did and only encountered a few glitches.
Within the first hour or so I rated it higher than FO3. By thew time I finished it, I rated it a fair bit better than 3.
I never detested 3 although I had plenty of reservations.

But all in all you have uploaded a fair honest assessment of your and younger players views.

I had issues with it crashing a lot on console but it was obvious it was better than 3.

It's ok King of 14 you do good work no need to put sunglasses on.

:bow:

Yeah. It was right when discs were basically done away with in stores.

When I was playing Fallout 3 in 2012, I thought the game was fantastic. New Vegas seems more about gambling and consumerism at first outlook, which is not post-apocalyptic enougn IMHO back then. I never heard anything else.

And then I found out Nuka Break show exist and the fact that New Vegas modding scene is much more active and got lots of good stuff. I instantly fall in love with the game, imagine my first time playing New Vegas is not the vanila version but the one already heavily modded one?

Last edited:
When I was playing Fallout 3 in 2012, I thought the game was fantastic. New Vegas seems more about gambling and consumerism at first outlook, which is not post-apocalyptic enougn IMHO back then. I never heard anything else.

And then I found out Nuka Break show exist and the fact that New Vegas modding scene is much more active and got lots of good stuff. I instantly fall in love with the game, imagine my first time playing New Vegas is not the vanila version but the one already heavily modded one?
F3 looked suprisingly good at the start: liked the atmosphere, first person exploration and couple of small locations. Later I just lost the interest and never finished it. It was bland somehow after the constant struggle for survival wasn't that intense.

F:NV got me from the start and didn't let go through all the DLCs. I really loved that you could change your mind on supporting/betraying factions at almost every decision in quests. Very rare design excellency.

First playthrough for both games was on PCs that barely managed to give 20 FPS, but New Vegas never crashed much for me.
Except with mods - I only finished it once more with mods, lots of times it would get unplayable for one error or the other.

If I manage to run Wabbajack on Linux (in Vm, at least), I will replay F:NV again.
https://github.com/wabbajack-tools/mod-lists/blob/master/modlist-descriptions.md#fallout-new-vegas

Last edited:
I actually fell in love with it from day one. Yeah, I was there when this game came out.
The only thing I felt that F3 did better at the time was the environment. Over time however, I felt that the more connected World of New Vegas was something I prefer.

That being said, I think fan reception turned around due to Fallout 4. I believe what a lot of People liked about Fallout was in New Vegas and not in 4.

F3 looked suprisingly good at the start: liked the atmosphere, first person exploration and couple of small locations. Later I just lost the interest and never finished it. It was bland somehow after the constant struggle for survival wasn't that intense.

F:NV got me from the start and didn't let go through all the DLCs. I really loved that you could change your mind on supporting/betraying factions at almost every decision in quests. Very rare design excellency.

First playthrough for both games was on PCs that barely managed to give 20 FPS, but New Vegas never crashed much for me.
Except with mods - I only finished it once more with mods, lots of times it would get unplayable for one error or the other.

If I manage to run Wabbajack on Linux (in Vm, at least), I will replay F:NV again.
https://github.com/wabbajack-tools/mod-lists/blob/master/modlist-descriptions.md#fallout-new-vegas
Fallout 3 has a pretty robust art direction (if you can learn to tolerate the green filter) but when you get in-game it's difficult to ignore how much it feels like an elaborate Oblivion overhaul. People were mocking that element of the game during its release, so New Vegas sticking to that engine and including "hokey cowboy stuff" seemed like such a poisonous recipe I'm surprised Bethesda even gave it the OK.

In the long run it was obviously a gamble that paid off since the Mojave as a setting is pretty distinctive and beloved. I think people like DC, the Pitt & Point Lookout too but the simplicity of the game itself (writing and gameplay) really doesn't give Fallout 3 a niche in the series' reputation.

My perception of New Vegas never changed. I enjoyed it, even loved it, from the start. But I was biased.

I was a Super Mod on the old IPLY/BIS forums, became friends with a few devs, especially Damien Foletto (who wrote a few articles for my website and did a frequently quoted interview about Van Buren with me...heh, Odin from here actually helped code one version of the website).

And I bought some shares in Interplay just so I could bitch more and I remember the end quite well. I was excited about Jefferson and Van Buren and possibly making some story pitches for crpgs... fuck you Caen.

I never played FO3 because to me, it wasn't Fallout and wasn't ever going to be. Bethesda never impressed me for their writing quality or design. They make pretty games, Skyrim for example was gorgeous, but the character leveling so broken you were an untouchable god in your skivies one-shot killing dragons.

New Vegas came along. Obsidian was Black Isle Studios MK2 so New Vegas was Fallout 3 for me. Even with all the issues on PS3 with its shit performance. I actually encountered few bugs, just PS3 problems.

Haven't played FO4 either. Bethesda to me always was, and always will be, style with no real substance or depth.

I started with Fallout 3 not long after its release. So many kids at school loved it so I got a copy as well. I thought it was great. Then New Vegas came out and everyone generally had the opinions described here
upload_2022-10-25_11-2-10.png

I was immediately entranced with how much better New Vegas was though and it was immediately my new favorite game. All my friends and other kids at school said that it was really boring and whatnot. I tried Fallout 1 and 2 and just couldn't get into it. Then when Fallout 4 came out, it disappointed me a lot (I really thought Bethesda would take what New Vegas did and improve their own style with that, HAHA) and a friend suggest that since I never beat the originals that I should try again since 4 was pissing me off. So I did and I'm really glad I did. Fallout 1 is amazing and Fallout 2 is fun as hell besides that damn forced tutorial. I know how to beat it easily but it's just annoying to go through.

I would say I like New Vegas even more now but only because the last decade of dogshit over-hyped games has really opened my eyes to just how special it is, and I'm just older and grumpier and more stuck in my ways.

I am also one of the people that experienced little to no bugs at launch, from my experience the people making a big stink about that kind of stuff back then were moreso just buying into the gaming culture circlejerk of the time without any real knowledge of what they were talking about.

FO3 was fun first playthrough. But the more I've sank hours into it, the more shallow it was getting.
My issues with FNV was literally not being able to install it for hours, and once it actually worked - it was crashing constantly. But once it was up and running I knew straight away it's miles ahead of 3.

Back