Neo Nazis in Fallout

• Thread starter Thread starter Arin Matthews
  • Start date Start date
A Fascist group could be done well. But Neo Nazis? Eh, I don't think having Neo Nazis are that great of an idea. WW2 was pretty long ago by 2077, let alone after that. Still we already have the Enclave, they have that totalitarianism and purity of race thing down.

Looking at the other extreme of the political spectrum, I think a communist faction would be more interesting.

A Fascist group could be done well. But Neo Nazis? Eh, I don't think having Neo Nazis are that great of an idea. WW2 was pretty long ago by 2077, let alone after that. Still we already have the Enclave, they have that totalitarianism and purity of race thing down.

Looking at the other extreme of the political spectrum, I think a communist faction would be more interesting.

I thought the Master's army was pretty much the communists. They stood up for equality, at the price of several freedoms, they followed a single "leader" (the quotes are there because in communism you don't follow a named leader, but the State is the proprietary of everything, as in their view they represent the people and it's the only organized way in which "everything is everyone's"), etc.

Just to add to their confusion, they might have read of the original, religious meaning of the swastika (it represented something like "the good" in some ancient religion, I don't remember which; Hitler, as he considered his own prejudices to be "the good", took this symbol) and thought "well, this was a religious, altruist man, worth following".

It meant "Good Luck" and The Sun. That's why Finland was using it. It was a sign of Good Luck to their people in the war.

I think Nazism is overused to the point of making it comical rather than actually turning them into any sort of quality adversary.

Now perhaps a state in the Wasteland similar to Apartheid Era South Africa would be interesting to explore(with Ghouls and Mutants living on something equivalent to Bantustans), and then giving the player the option to keep the system in place or disrupt the system, or finally bring about a democratic change whereby both are forced to come together.

Not really needed. I think fallout works best when its stories are analogous to past events rather than direct references. It fits in with the whole "War never changes" theme. The world moves on, but each generation makes the same mistakes in its own way.

Besides which, there might be very few pure white people left in the waste. The vaults contained a variety of races, and there must have been a lot of interbreeding.

Adding nazis to the game would just feel cheesy and gimmicky.

They aren't exactly Nazis of course, but they have the same way of hierarchically racist thinking. Just like communism and religious institutions actually have very similar fundamental structures.

^

You pretty much nailed it, my friend. That was pretty much the exact idea I had in mind.
And I'm glad someone agrees it would be a fine concept.

Also, kudos for making the outcome of that hypothetical group and quests revolving around them very "fallouty". I can imagine the epilogue screens and Ron Perlman narrating about the greatness of Nazi movement, and what a blessing it is upon the wastes.

One minor "problem" with the whole thing is how our protagonist, the player, would know about Hitler and Nazi crimes. Seeing as Courier knew very little of communism, I don't see a reason why majority of average wastelanders would know of Nazism either. Which brings us to either our protagonist being a Vault citizen, or coming from a place with a solid education.
But that's a different topic entirely...

Well, when you talk to the leader of the group, he tells you that they have many books on Hitler and Nazi Germany, but many of them are half-burned and/or in disrepair. This then starts the quest "Sieg Heil". You would be given the quest of finding a few books that are in perfect shape and 100% readable. There are several places to find this book. The hardest way, is they direct you to a place that maybe some raiders moved into as their headquarters. You can go there and convince the raider leader to sell you the book for a thousand caps, do a "quest" for the raider leader (involving capturing slaves or something), kill all the raiders, or sneak past security and steal it from a safe. Or you can come across a merchant in the wastes to sells odd, rare, or exotic things that most wastelanders don't want or need, and buy a book on Hitler/Nazism that is in perfect condition for 150 caps.

Then, your character reads through the books, and there your given the choice of telling the organization that Hitler was a great man (with a speech check you can say the books were all destroyed in the library they sent you to and they will believe you by word that Hitler was a good man, or you can side track yourself to forge a document in an old Pre-War printing press). Or you can hand over the books that you received, and they will become demoralized after reading them fully and eventually stop helping people. OR, after handing the books to them and with a very high speech check (85+) and a charisma check of 7 you could convince them that this "Hitler guy" had the right idea. They will then fashion themselves as a racist nazi organization, building an army and throwing out all non-human wastelanders, agreeing to only help human wastelanders and actively hunting down Super Mutants, Ghouls, Any Kind of Sentient Mutant Lifeforms, and even Human's that hold a high amount of radiation damage to their DNA however look normal (which isn't every Wastelander, but a good amount). Doing this gives you a trait. Maybe something like -2 charisma when talking to any human, and a permanent -1 intelligence to your character, but a 20% damage increase to human NPC's. But this is far-fetched, and you know people get their feelings hurt easily. Same reason why the Child Killer perk couldn't be incorporated into any modern internationally successful game.

Last edited:
Back