Neutral Path?

Erny said:
What do you mean "neutral" - overall karma? I think you`d need to kill tonn of civilians to balance off all the good deeds )
Not being at war with any factions is possible.
You know I wish you would not get some karma-boost for killing raiders in the open as youre just defending your self.

I think for gaining "good" karma you have to do something to achieve it just like you have to do something to get "bad" karma. If you know what I mean.

Crni Vuk said:
You know I wish you would not get some karma-boost for killing raiders in the open as youre just defending your self.

I think for gaining "good" karma you have to do something to achieve it just like you have to do something to get "bad" karma. If you know what I mean.

My thoughts, too.

Also, I would like this to extend to my dialogue choices. I know it (at times) impacts my Faction Rep, but certain options are purely evil/cruel and should be hit with the negative Karma, too. Or the quests that I agreed to complete - but for a price - should not grant positive Karma and should give me half the boost in relations with that Faction.

The Karma system is pretty useless and nonsensical in these games, the value given for most of things make no sense, and really no amount of fixing radios and errand running should make for that time you murdered a bunch of innocent people and stole all their stuff. Reputation is really the only thing that should matter, if they had scrapped Karma entirely in New Vegas, it would not have been missed, as reputation was handled pretty well.

As as original post, I think he meant neutral as working for every faction without choosing a side and you can do that for most the game, but eventually you'll be forced to choose a side, before you have a chance to do everything for everyone.

Nalano said:
I don't have to see someone break into your home to recognize a suspicious character after you reported your home broken into.
Human beings are naturally receptive to recognizing patterns, and without the whole picture we are notorious for filling in the blanks ourselves.
The game mechanic of "karma" abstracts that to make up for a lackluster AI.
You may be technically correct that nobody saw you enter the house and you were smart enough not to sell the stolen goods in the same town, but people saw you enter the town, and people saw you leave the town, and during that time stuff was stolen: That's enough.

I have to agree with ramessesjones, Karma is not needed and I'd love it dropped. 1st off Karma isn't something visible. To suggest it is, is to suggset Fable's glowing tatoos and devil horns and such are a representative of reality. But many child predators look like the nicest person on the block. Murders, rapists, and arsonists don't look different from you or me.

Nalano, you are right that over time people can notice that when new guy showed up things started being stolen, but that certainly is not karma. That's intuition or deductive reasoning and it is totally different. If they want karma in the game, it should only affect karmaish things, like getting luck +1 or a +5% criticals, or anything chance like or envoronmentally controlled.

But a NPC should never be able to look at you (unless it's a village shaman) and suggest somehow that they can tell you have good/bad karma. The Charisma stat should do a lot more in dertermining that sort of reaction, then reputation, then if I've got a weapon out, then my companion, then etc.... with Karma never in the equation.

Evil Perks are the core reason for keeping Karma (they existed in Bethesda's game but I'm unsure whether they were kept in New Vegas). The specifics are irrelevant to me -- I didn't have any particular attachment to what Bethesda added in this regard -- but the core idea of having special offerings based on an internal metric is sound.

I like it when games react to how I've chosen to play them and keeping tallies like Karma are one way to enable that kind of reactivity.

Crni Vuk said:
Erny said:
What do you mean "neutral" - overall karma? I think you`d need to kill tonn of civilians to balance off all the good deeds )
Not being at war with any factions is possible.

It's interesting that you gain good karma for killing Feral Ghouls, as if you are putting them out of their misery because being mutated.
Or as if they are "bad".

But Feral Ghouls didn't loosed their minds and are totally irrational?
How can they "feel misery" then?
Or have conscience of their actions?

One more for the books... :cool:

[ ]'s

smber2cnma said:
Nalano said:
I don't have to see someone break into your home to recognize a suspicious character after you reported your home broken into.
Human beings are naturally receptive to recognizing patterns, and without the whole picture we are notorious for filling in the blanks ourselves.
The game mechanic of "karma" abstracts that to make up for a lackluster AI.
You may be technically correct that nobody saw you enter the house and you were smart enough not to sell the stolen goods in the same town, but people saw you enter the town, and people saw you leave the town, and during that time stuff was stolen: That's enough.

I have to agree with ramessesjones, Karma is not needed and I'd love it dropped. 1st off Karma isn't something visible. To suggest it is, is to suggset Fable's glowing tatoos and devil horns and such are a representative of reality. But many child predators look like the nicest person on the block. Murders, rapists, and arsonists don't look different from you or me.

Nalano, you are right that over time people can notice that when new guy showed up things started being stolen, but that certainly is not karma. That's intuition or deductive reasoning and it is totally different. If they want karma in the game, it should only affect karmaish things, like getting luck +1 or a +5% criticals, or anything chance like or envoronmentally controlled.

But a NPC should never be able to look at you (unless it's a village shaman) and suggest somehow that they can tell you have good/bad karma. The Charisma stat should do a lot more in dertermining that sort of reaction, then reputation, then if I've got a weapon out, then my companion, then etc.... with Karma never in the equation.

Have you never met a guy that just looked creepy? Furtive? Suspicious?

cronicler said:
If you are lucky enough to get a silencer for the varmint rifle (and scope if you are extremely lucky) , you can execute the gangers without loosing any rep with them.

I do have that weapon with these mods. :)
But i also have the Gobi Rifle.

To the point. Yes, i meant to be aligned with all fractions neutral or positive.
For me its now a hate relationship with the Legion. But that was Boone's fault. Bad Boone.

My friend still maintains a fairly neutral relationship with all fractions. But i think either way you may not get all quest anyway.

The fraction quests are often mutualy exlusive and from some point of main storyline you're forced to choose the faction you want to rule the Mojave. To have optimal ending for some factions you have to carefully consider the resolution for some of the "minor quests" too. This game is about Hero conquering the wastes not some Joe Meek trying to get by so I don't think you can play without leaving the big wake behind you or not upseting the power balance. Apropo Uberpowerwull sniperriffles It's question of roleplaying with right gear (lucky, misterius magnum, ranger seqoia and de longe as only riffle for ocasional sniping) and right perks chosen my revolver toting cowboy is as deadly as Boone with gobi. Playing neutral will forteil the biggest forte of New Vegas the CC.

Requete said:
This game is about Hero conquering the wastes not some Joe Meek trying to get by so I don't think you can play without leaving the big wake behind you or not upseting the power balance.

Technically you can: The game just never ends.

Cromlech said:
Just be a total kleptomaniac and pinch everything that isn't bolted down.

If they don't see you, they won't attack, but your karma will still suffer.

In my last playthrough this wasn't enough to put a dent in my overwhelmingly good karma. And I stole everything. I think it's necessary to do some pretty dark deeds if you want to even it out.

Hroesvelgr said:
In my last playthrough this wasn't enough to put a dent in my overwhelmingly good karma. And I stole everything. I think it's necessary to do some pretty dark deeds if you want to even it out.

I think the problem with "bringing peace to the region" is that your one-man crime spree really does pale in comparison. :p

Nalano said:
Hroesvelgr said:

I think the problem with "bringing peace to the region" is that your one-man crime spree really does pale in comparison. :p

It shouldn't surprise us that you can be hero even while stealing you can find, as all point'n'click adventure heros were celptomans for decades! ;)

I wonder that they used the karma system, wasn't there some interview beforehand where they said they didn't want to judge the morale of a player? Or am i mixing things?

Bad_Karma said:
Nalano said:
Hroesvelgr said:

It shouldn't surprise us that you can be hero even while stealing you can find, as all point'n'click adventure heros were celptomans for decades! ;)

I wonder that they used the karma system, wasn't there some interview beforehand where they said they didn't want to judge the morale of a player? Or am i mixing things?

Nah, it's just that universal karma is stupid and the best thing about it is that it's also pointless.

Back