New Games...?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Hey everybody....I've been sidelined with a badly sprained ankle. I was wondering if anyone knew of any GOOD CRPGs like Fallout that I could purchase (or have someone purchase that is, hehehe) while my wounds mend. I'll take any suggestions. I'm very board now so please help a fellow gamer with this one, hehe.

M.E.

>Hey everybody....I've been sidelined with
>a badly sprained ankle. I
>was wondering if anyone knew
>of any GOOD CRPGs like
>Fallout that I could purchase
>(or have someone purchase that
>is, hehehe) while my wounds
>mend. I'll take any suggestions.
>I'm very board now so
>please help a fellow gamer
>with this one, hehe.
>
>M.E.

How about tryin Planescape: Torment.

The character depth and RPG depth rivals Fallout and Fallout 2.

Really? I'll have to look into it then :)

Although...some places I have heard otherwise, about the 2 depths I mean. I guess I'll have to buy it and find out :)

RE: Really? I'll have to look into it then :)

>Although...some places I have heard otherwise,
>about the 2 depths I
>mean. I guess I'll have
>to buy it and find
>out :)

It *is* in the AD&D Planescape setting, but it's great.

A lot complain because there are too many words (over a million), but those are the ones craving a Diablo clone like Baldur's Gate.

Those who hated BG, or wanted something more, will like PS:T. No multiplayer, just a solid and in-depth story like Fallout. In fact, a lot of the NPCs are deeper in character than in Fallout.

Made by BIS, it has their talent (not just "produced" by BIS, like BG. Bioware is responsible for BG).

You've got that right!

>>Hey everybody....I've been sidelined with
>>a badly sprained ankle. I
>>was wondering if anyone knew
>>of any GOOD CRPGs like
>>Fallout that I could purchase
>>(or have someone purchase that
>>is, hehehe) while my wounds
>>mend. I'll take any suggestions.
>>I'm very board now so
>>please help a fellow gamer
>>with this one, hehe.
>>
>>M.E.
>
>How about tryin Planescape: Torment.
>
>The character depth and RPG depth
>rivals Fallout and Fallout 2.

If not surpassing Fallout... at least in terms of character developement (the whole point of the game).

PS:T is really a piece of work. My only complaint is that it freezed every once and a while, but I'm assuming this has to do with my video card and processor which have given me trouble in the past.

I bought the game about.. um a week and a half ago and am still playing through it the first time. I've spent at least 48-60 hours on the game and have only barely begun the fourth CD.

If you DO buy the game, which I and Rosh suggest, clear out around 2.2 gigs of hard drive space and copy over all the cd data to your hard drive. It makes the game load maps a LOT faster, probably at least 20 times faster. Complex maps that took about a minute or two to load load up in about seven seconds. It is REALLY worth the space.

Also, like any good game-player, download the patch.

Oh, and I have to thank Rosh and Shadowman for suggesting PS:T, it is truly a keeper.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

That's it!! You've convinced me! :)

I've got to get this game now! Now all I need to do is have someone get the game, and scrounge up a little extra green (money), hehehe...

RE: That's it!! You've convinced me! :)

I agree, Planescape is awesome. The plotline is definitely original, the atmosphere is positively harrowing, and the characters aren't just deep, they're practically bottomless. My only complaints are that combat could use some working on, but since I talked my way through most quests it doesn't matter much, and that there aren't nearly as many NPCs as in Baldur's Gate. But considering how much effort must've went into each one I think it would be rude to expect more...

{chuckles} I've passed the game three times now and I still think I haven't seen everything yet...

Quinch

>I agree, Planescape is awesome. The
>plotline is definitely original, the
>atmosphere is positively harrowing, and
>the characters aren't just deep,
>they're practically bottomless. My only
>complaints are that combat could
>use some working on, but
>since I talked my way
>through most quests it doesn't
>matter much, and that there
>aren't nearly as many NPCs
>as in Baldur's Gate. But
>considering how much effort must've
>went into each one I
>think it would be rude
>to expect more...
>
>{chuckles} I've passed the game three
>times now and I still
>think I haven't seen everything
>yet...
>
>Quinch

Huh.. I think there are enough, I've encountered six NPCs so far if you count Morte (who you get at the beginning), and hell, you can only have five NPCs on your team. I've got my "elite crew" of guys. Hoo boy do they rock.. well except for Annah.. too weak.. she gets hurt too quickly.

Anyone think Vhailor is the medival incarnation of Frank Horrigan?

Oh, and use Morte's "Litany of Curses" special ability to your advantage. That spell/special ability is SOOO useful. It can help save your pal to preventing mages from casting spells, very useful.

The price is $59, more than most other games, but then again you're getting a lot of bang for your buck (4 CDs worth), the game engine alone takes one CD.

And I repeat: COPY THE ENTIRE THING TO YOUR HARD DRIVE.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

>rock.. well except for Annah..
>too weak.. she gets hurt
>too quickly.

I'm not sure I agree here. Ok, in the beginning she's a bit weak, but she can be very valuable in combat when you constantly use her backstab skill. Provided she has a decent pair of punch daggers offcourse.

Yeah, she's usefull alright. Once I encountered some wererats and for some reason they all chased after her. So I had Nameless One and the rest chase after the wererats while i let annah run arround in circles. I killed them all and it was fun to look at.

>Yeah, she's usefull alright. Once I
>encountered some wererats and for
>some reason they all chased
>after her. So I had
>Nameless One and the rest
>chase after the wererats while
>i let annah run arround
>in circles. I killed them
>all and it was fun
>to look at.

Morte usually has that job on my team. He's a lifesaver. I have him Litany-of-Curses some Cranium rats which makes them run to me where I can deal with them one at a time. Also he really showed his worth when I Litanyed the Curst guards so they would chase him and I could thrash the guards with no fear of hurting some of the more squishy characters. He's also quite hard to hit by the enemy even when his AC is higher than some of the other guys (Nameless One has -7 whereas Morte has 2). What I also like is that he usually always hits when he attacks, especially with +5 Fist proficiency.

Vhialior has also come up in the ranking in my team. He really pounds anything he gets his hands on and his 100+ hit points really let him get into the melee.

Annah's okay, but I really haven't taken full advantage of her stealth and backstabbing abilities. I'm in Cacerii (sp?) and I just need my guys to deal out a lot of damage to those fiends quickly.

Just curious, is it even POSSIBLE for Fall-From-Grace to use a weapon outside of he hands? She's great as a healer but pretty pitiful in combat (besides spells).

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

>Just curious, is it even POSSIBLE
>for Fall-From-Grace to use a
>weapon outside of he hands?
> She's great as a
>healer but pretty pitiful in
>combat (besides spells).
>
>-Xotor-

Unfortunately it's not. She's a healer, not a fighter.

I prefer travelling with Morte, Dak'kon {man, that guy is so cool!}, Annah {I use her backstab to the point it's almost abuse}, Grace {true, she's a completely scummy fighter but she's cool to have around and boy, does she save on healing charms} and Nordom {long range support, and simply because he's fun}. True, Ignus and Vhailor are also forces to be reckoned with, but frankly, they give me the creeps.

Quinch

>I prefer travelling with Morte, Dak'kon
>{man, that guy is so
>cool!}, Annah {I use her
>backstab to the point it's
>almost abuse}, Grace {true, she's
>a completely scummy fighter but
>she's cool to have around
>and boy, does she save
>on healing charms} and Nordom
>{long range support, and simply
>because he's fun}. True, Ignus
>and Vhailor are also forces
>to be reckoned with, but
>frankly, they give me the
>creeps.

Oh you want abusive? Morte's Litany-of-Curses has won me so many battles. Hell, he saved the day by Litanying Trias. You'd think "big bosses" like that would be immune to such tactics. The Mage in the Starving Dog's house was also undermined with Morte's ability.

Oh and how do you work Annah's backstab ability? I'd like to learn to use her to her full advantage.

I don't like Vhailor's ethics.. too extreme, and wrong, but a GREAT fighter.

I haven't encountered "Nordom" but opted to save my last NPC slot for Vhailor instead of Ingus (even though I had no idea if I would even meet him later on in the game, good thing I did).

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

- Oh you want abusive? Morte's Litany-of-Curses has won me so many battles

Actually, I haven't used it all that often, and frankly, Trias was a complete putz.

- Oh and how do you work Annah's backstab ability? I'd like to learn to use her to her full advantage.

Simple - let he go into stealth mode {right-click, special abilities... I'm not sure if it's called hide in shadows like in BG, or you can simply assign a key for it}, walk to the enemy and BOOM!, she'll do about three or four times the usual damage {provided she *hits* him or her}. Hell, with spiked gauntlets of ogre power she could take out a Curst guard in two hits. Gethreleth, in three. Oh, BTW, if any hostiles see her while she's trying to go shadow, it'll fail. Just round a corner or hide behind a rock if necessary.

- I haven't encountered "Nordom"...

He's in the Modron maze {you must set it to "hard", though}. Nice fella, and give him the Optix targeter and he'll be one mean cube.

- but opted to save my last NPC slot for Vhailor instead of Ingus

Well, you can leave Ignus when you meet Vhailor, but don't worry, you'll meet him again. ;-)

Quinch

"The issue no longer equals total logic."

>- Oh you want abusive? Morte's
>Litany-of-Curses has won me so
>many battles
>
>Actually, I haven't used it all
>that often, and frankly, Trias
>was a complete putz.

Yeah he was easy to kill (you'd think an angel would be invincible), but Morte's Litany made it so Trias couldn't cast any spells. It also lowered his guard and reduced him to trying to bitch-slap Morte. I had Vhailor lob that loser deva's head right off. That guy diserved it.

>Simple - let he go into
>stealth mode {right-click, special abilities...
>I'm not sure if it's
>called hide in shadows like
>in BG, or you can
>simply assign a key for
>it}, walk to the enemy
>and BOOM!, she'll do about
>three or four times the
>usual damage {provided she *hits*
>him or her}. Hell, with
>spiked gauntlets of ogre power
>she could take out a
>Curst guard in two hits.
>Gethreleth, in three. Oh, BTW,
>if any hostiles see her
>while she's trying to go
>shadow, it'll fail. Just round
>a corner or hide behind
>a rock if necessary.

Does she move out of stealth mode once she strikes? Her pick-pocket skills kick ass, 100% success rate.

>- I haven't encountered "Nordom"...
>
>He's in the Modron maze {you
>must set it to "hard",
>though}. Nice fella, and give
>him the Optix targeter and
>he'll be one mean cube.

Oh okay... better change the difficulty.

Last questions: What is the secret to the Mosaic Crypt in the catacombs? That guy inside the Embraced Crypt said there was some sort of secret about that crypt, but all I find is that it shoots ice-knives at me and drops goo from the center. Also is there any way to actually see the Silent King? I can't get permission and I don't feel like killing ghouls just to see him.

I hope he's not like the Godsman secret project.. sheesh that was boring.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

[/div]

>>- I haven't encountered "Nordom"...
>>
>>He's in the Modron maze {you
>>must set it to "hard",
>>though}. Nice fella, and give
>>him the Optix targeter and
>>he'll be one mean cube.
>
>Oh okay... better change the difficulty.

You should. Nordom is the most kickass NPC in PS:T. He's the only one who uses ranged weapons and his comments had me rolling on the floor several times.

>Last questions: What is the secret
>to the Mosaic Crypt in
>the catacombs? That guy
>inside the Embraced Crypt said
>there was some sort of
>secret about that crypt, but
>all I find is that
>it shoots ice-knives at me
>and drops goo from the
>center.

There's no real secret except that you get to know a bit more about the earlier incarnations of the Nameless One.

>Also is there
>any way to actually see
>the Silent King? I
>can't get permission and I
>don't feel like killing ghouls
>just to see him.

No idea. I've never seen him.

*Starts mumbling something about gameplay questions in the general forum* ;-)

He's the only one who uses ranged weapons

-Uh, negative... Ignus shoots fire, though Nodrom can use various ammo.

>Also is there
>any way to actually see
>the Silent King

- Not without pissing off every undead in the Dead Nations. Oh, and by the way, the Silent King is dead, and I mean it in the terminal sense.

*Starts mumbling something about gameplay questions in the general forum*

- {mumbles something about Fallout 2 boards}

Quinch

"Annah, does your tail assist you in maintaining your balance?"

"No, it's fer scratching me back, ye soddin' box!"

"Yes, that is logical..."

About humor...

I have to say I enjoy PS:T's humor more than Fallout 2's. Fallout 2 was too "in your face" with their jokes and the cliché Monte Python humor was just plain annoying.

I don't particularly take to British/Euro humor anyway, it is too silly and stupid. Shows like Monte Python, Mr. Bean, Red-Green, Red Dwarf, etc. try too hard to achieve a laugh out of silliness. I expected a higher refinement of humor when I first watched such shows but never found it.

-Xotor-

>"Annah, does your tail assist you
>in maintaining your balance?"
>
>"No, it's fer scratching me back,
>ye soddin' box!"
>
>"Yes, that is logical..."

[div align=center]

[/div]

Back