>too hard to achieve a
>laugh out of silliness.
>I expected a higher refinement
>of humor when I first
>watched such shows but never
>found it.
>
>-Xotor-

Like American humor is that refined. You've had masterpieces like "Dumb and Dumber", "There's something about Mary" and "Ace Ventura". Offcourse this is only a small selection to illustrate my point and I infact enjoyed all these movies,but you can't exactly call them refined :-).

Or how about this?

[font size=1" color="#FF0000]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-00 AT 03:37PM (GMT)[p]How can you recognise a modern Disney movie?

Because there are crotch jokes in every one.
The more emphasis on crotch jokes, the more hyped the movie is.
Children are whiny and get their way.
Adults are depicted as being dumber than rocks.
The plots are actually rejected 70's cartoon storyboards, but altered to fit whatever theme they have in mind. So Mr. Magoo is interchangable with just about any other Disney movie.
If the script would make Spielberg laugh his ass off and then tear it up and set fire to the scraps, then it is instantly put into production.

RE: Or how about this?

>How can you recognise a modern
>Disney movie?
>
>Because there are crotch jokes in
>every one.
>The more emphasis on crotch jokes,
>the more hyped the movie
>is.
>Children are whiny and get their
>way.
>Adults are depicted as being dumber
>than rocks.

Oh.. once I saw an episode of "Full House" with those lame-ass Olsen Twins (I really hate them). Anyway, one time that little brat "Michelle" didn't get her way so she said something to the effect "if you don't do it I'll cry." Oooo.. I'd give HER something to cry about. It just showed how pathetic that parent was to even let his child achieve such POWER over him. What a degregation of society.

>The plots are actually rejected 70's
>cartoon storyboards, but altered to
>fit whatever theme they have
>in mind. So Mr.
>Magoo is interchangable with just
>about any other Disney movie.
>
>If the script would make Spielberg
>laugh his ass off and
>then tear it up and
>set fire to the scraps,
>then it is instantly put
>into production.

I have to say Nickelodeon (sp?) films aren't that much better.

What I really hate is when sequels to already pathetic films are created: 101 Dalmations -> 102 Dalmations, Air Bud -> Football Bud (Can't remember the real name of it), etc. I mean REALLY, just let it DIE.

Spielburg's The Lost World was royal suck ass. Boy did that movie suck and completely derive from the original storyline. At the end he totally sank to a new low by making the T-Rex make it to civilization and do a pitiful Godzilla romp through the countryside. Let's just say I expected more.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

RE: About humor...

>>I don't particularly take to British/Euro
>>humor anyway, it is too
>>silly and stupid. Shows
>>like Monte Python, Mr. Bean,
>>Red-Green, Red Dwarf, etc. try
>>too hard to achieve a
>>laugh out of silliness.
>>I expected a higher refinement
>>of humor when I first
>>watched such shows but never
>>found it.
>
>Like American humor is that refined.
>You've had masterpieces like "Dumb
>and Dumber", "There's something about
>Mary" and "Ace Ventura". Offcourse
>this is only a small
>selection to illustrate my point
>and I infact enjoyed all
>these movies,but you can't exactly
>call them refined :-).

Yeah but films/shows like Monte Python and the Holy Grail and Mr. Bean writers have the humoristic craftiness of 12 year olds. All the humor is just plain silliness, jokes that make you say "that joke is so blatently overdone that it doesn't even make me laugh." Maybe "refined" isn't the word I'm thinking of, I mean "clever."

What is even more sad is how people embrace that humor so ferverently. You hear people quoting those cliché Holy Grail jokes all the time.

Why do shows like Sienfield and Fraiser get such high ratings? Because of the way the plot is interwoven, the complexity of the joke. With the Holy Grail you get stupid "jokes" like the carrier pidgeon-coconut jokes, the witch with the false nose, the stupid anachronisms, etc. It's like a bad RPG, linear from start to finish.

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

Back