New Vegas details

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Sander, Feb 6, 2010.

1. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    I think I know what that gun is in that one screenshot with the super muties charching the guy with the Incinerator-esque gun. A passage of the mag mentions a grenade-launching machinegun. That might be it.

2. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Are you insinuating that "console kids" can't handle the hardcore? I beat Ninja Gaiden on the hardest difficulty and I don't recall that being sent to the PC. It's just that dumbass developers seem to think the average console player is in fact a simian and cannot handle a difficulty greater than that of Easy. Thus, you have Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, which rewards you for dieing a certain amount of time.

Anyway, on topic, I want that wig and those glasses. You see, every character of mine, despite their alignment or professions, is an obsessive compulsive trophy hunter. I always take little things from enemies that gave me a tough time, like their clothes. I'd stuff 'em in my trunk in Fallout 2 or put them in my house in Fallout 3.

3. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    It looks like it might look like Fallout leather armor but regardless, it looks pretty cool. The super mutants, on the other hand, look like an army of Ogres.

The problem I see with the super mutant with the wig is that she isn't wearing a dress or anything, it just looks poorly tacked on.

4. frosty_theaussie

frosty_theaussie Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 22, 2003
    Only thing that took me by surprise was the M4. It's a lot more clearly based on its real-world counterpart than the 'real' guns in FO3. Seems rather FO2-esque.

5. Lingwei

Lingwei It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 5, 2008
    I'm not sure why people would be surprised that a stand alone expansion for Fallout 3 would look any different than Fallout 3. Cause that's what it is, a stand alone expansion.

Edit: reading through the scans posted here http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2066/77205074.jpg, I noticed they referred to Bethesda as the creators of Daggerfall, Morrowind, and the ultra-superb Oblivion. Now call me sore, but why did they call Oblivion ultra-superb and not Morrowind, despite Morrowind being recognised as the better game by almost everyone who has played the two games?

6. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    simple answer, cause Oblivion made more money, and thats what counts today to most game magazines and developers.

7. Dionysus

Dionysus Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Oct 13, 2008
    You're not everyone. Try not to let it get you down. I know I was pretty pissed off when I discovered that other people have thoughts, opinions, and beliefs that aren't consistent with my own.

Amusingly, PC Gamer has Oblivion over Fallout on their top 100 list. The good news is that they got number 1 right.

8. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    They what. :shock:

9. Aphyosis

Aphyosis Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2009
    Face it man, there might be exceptions to the rule, but consoles attract far more children (And immature adults) than a PC Does. With that said, Consoles still do have some decent players and PC's still have children, but as a general rule...

10. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg First time out of the vault

Feb 7, 2010
    I'm assuming that is the NCR armor, judging by the bear insignia on the shoulder...

11. Wolfsburg

Feb 7, 2010
    I really don't like that they are simply recycling those terrible F3 super mutants for New Vegas, but as far as that goes, Tabitha really doesn't bother me that much. I remember it was said in one of the older games (F1 or F2, I disremember) that supermutant females are indistiguishable from the males anyway, so to me it is not a huge deal that Tabitha simply has a wig and glasses tacked on in a vain, addled effort to distinguish herself.

I think it's useless to judge the game too much from the screenshots. Because they are using the F3 Gamebryo engine and models, which looked terrible, with unfortunately what appears to be only minor modifications, what is going to distinguish NV from F3 is going to be the dialogue and story. As such, I'm willing to give Obsidian the benefit of a doubt. While not ideal, I'm willing to bet they are going to do the best they can with what resources they were given in the time alotted before having to push this game out. Only time will tell if that is going to be enough...

12. cronicler

cronicler Lurksalot

May 31, 2006
    A quick reminder; Don't doublepost, use edit

Anyway, as far as the models go, the basic supermutant model in Fo:3 is not actually terrible. It is the textures and the lighting that makes them look like puke colored and eye sore.

If you apply some of the texture mods, they do look passable. I hope with the death of sickly green tint and some makeup the Muties will look passable this time.

Then again there is the scans of thet thing..... Ugh....

13. Wolfsburg

Feb 7, 2010
    Sorry about that. Anyway, I just wish the supermutants looked more like the ones from the Black Isle Fallout games.

14. patriot_41

patriot_41 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 8, 2008
    There's at least half a year until it comes out. Give the devs some time :)))

15. Wolfsburg

Feb 7, 2010
    I'd be surprised if they bothered at this point, but here's hoping.

16. coliphorbs

coliphorbs Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 2, 2008
    The Crimson Caravans seem to be back in F:NV, according to the PC article... unless that's just a similarly named establishment they were refering to.

17. CrazyDwarf

CrazyDwarf First time out of the vault

Jan 12, 2010
  18. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    That's why I stopped reading PC Gamer five years ago, like most gaming mags nowadays they are just sycophants.

19. Blackened

Blackened I should set a cutom tite

Jun 29, 2008
    At first, I didn't liked it. But then, I realized, that they've actually done a quite good work - they reskinned the Super Mutants and made them look more Fallouty - can you make better mutants? Also, they have some nice additions to the game, and I'm pretty sure that the gameplay will be quite fallouty. It's not really the graphics or the turn-based system what made Fallout and Fallout 2 great games, there are many more turn-based games.

Besides, I don't really think that super mutant with wig and stuff is a bad joke. The problem is that the super mutant is dirty and the wig and scarf are clean, but they will most likely fix it. It's a good idea, actually.

Well, the game is yet to come.

20. el_jefe_of_ny

el_jefe_of_ny Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 6, 2010
    moan..... how hot would this be?

People who are hating on the wig and pink glasses just secretly want that shit real bad. I'd do a 20 hour quest to get a blonde wig for my character.