New Vegas is way too complex

cunningandvalor

It Wandered In From the Wastes
IGN reviews New Vegas for the third time. Why am I highlighting this specifically? Because:<blockquote>The gameplay system is a disjunctive network of overlapping lists, stats, statuses, items, quest information, character notes, curiosities, and upgrades. It's nearly inscrutable in the beginning but after 10-20 hours the most obscure corners of the system will be at least functional, if not entirely clear. It took me over 50 hours to reach my ending and I managed to not upgrade a single weapon. It took me five hours to realize that active quests could be toggled on and off in the voluminous quest log, automatically changing the markers on the game's map. I'm still not sure what sorts of ammo my Plasma Rifle was using, but I know that I could create more by finding an ammo station and transforming one strange thing into another. In the early hours I got a leftover journal from a character and searched in vain through my Items menu hoping to read it. It was nowhere to be found in the sub-categories of Apparel, Weapons, Aid, or Miscellaneous. Only 20 hours later did I realize that these non-essential character flourishes were stored in the Data section under the Notes sub-category.

Combat is no more slippery, though its consequences are more immediate. Enemies all have a health bar the same size, though the rate it will be depleted by your various weapons depends on myriad factors, most of which are folded into sub-menus. Combat is a two step-process that involves first discovering a threatening creature, then deciding whether or not to fight it. All fights play out nearly identically, though the numbers being crunched in the processor are different every time. When an enemy is aware that you're near it bull-rushes, with different enemy types have different speeds of bull-rush. The only real response is to run frantically backwards while shooting, hoping there aren't any fences or big rocks waiting behind you. If prefer to use melee weapons to projectiles, you can move forward tentatively, hoping to time your attack animation so as to catch the enemy as she passes through your view. This can be reduced to the inane struggle to keep an enemy in the center of the screen while you both take turns whiffing at one another. </blockquote>This is why we can't have nice games, people.

"Welcome To The {Never Ending} Working Week"

"Welcome To The {Never Ending} Working Week"

@ cunningandvalor

Micheal Thomsen said:
The war reporter and author David Rieff has said he doesn't believe in history as a "progress narrative." If Rieff is wrong, America is where his hunch has been most disproven over the last 200 years. ...
(page 2) ...
Technology and politics have lengthened our lives and shortened our work week, but they haven't done anything to lessen that essential conflict between our natural will to do good the black consequences it often leads to. ...

The comments compliment the editorial.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1138893c.html#comments_top?p=3&s=ASC

JansonVank in Comments (SEE PAGE-3) to IGN Opinion Orchestration said:
Hegel's thesis/antithesis is actually what produces the idea of history as a progress narrative: when a thesis encounters an antithesis they battle until an alternative is formed, the formation of that alternative provides its own anti-alternative, and so on, creating a history of progression as result.

But what is relevant about this theory for America is the forward motion is provides. Progression implies movement, and progressive movement implies movement toward some kind of end game. America has "historically" rebelled against this idea, instead opting for a "manifest destiny" approach, in which history isn't something that happens, it is engineered.

The premise of a game like Fallout (which it steals from post-apocalyptic literature) is based on the fear that America is in fact progressing towards its own demise, that is, if "history" is determined by "steering progress" to bring about an engineered future, a future that becomes the past and is partially remembered in "history," and that future is primarily toxic or bad, then good and evil are turned upside down. If good choices in the present can have bad consequences in the future (what becomes the past), then manifest destiny is either impossible (what is intended to happen does not anyway) or it makes everyone now liable for all bad future events (we are responsible for what happens, intended or not). The American ethos is at stake.

Awesome article. As usual, Michael Thompson elevates the discussion surrounding videogames. Great stuff.

I would also critique the theory that "technology makes life better, and the work week shorter." Better by what standard? Quantity of life, or quality? And technologically does not make the work week shorter, it makes it omnipresent. It follows us on our cell phones, our laptops, our iPads, wherever we go, whenever it wants. To quote the American author Thoreau, we have become "tools of our tools."

That's progressive history for you.

If tldr, then:
JansonVank in Comments @ IGN said:
... Quantity of life, or quality? And technologically does not make the work week shorter, it makes it omnipresent. ...

Yah, I LOL'ed!

Web book plus cell phone plus touch pad equals STAR TECH!

Be the expendable consumer, in your very own inter space OPERA!

Red Shirts! Set yo' touch-phones on stun ... :lol:

4too

4too said:
The comments compliment the editorial.

Wow. That post is a logical fallacy goldmine

Progression implies movement, and progressive movement implies movement toward some kind of end game.

The fact he mistakenly believes 'Manifest Destiny' means "American destiny engineering" doesn't help his argumentation, either.

Quick, someone e-mail this to Roshambo as a Christmas gift or something.

Yes, this bit stood out for me.

it's one of the most painful games I've played. In the most important ways we are doomed. We all die, and we all know it will come. We are surrounded on both sides by an infinite and indescribable absence of life.

Jesus did this game depress him.

Seriously? Not know how to change active quests? I can understand if this person did not play Fallout 3... as that feature works exactly the SAME WAY. Of course, the REST of us figured it out when Fallout 3 came out (maybe Oblivion too... I think you can do that in that game too, right.... anybody here play that??)

Rev. Layle said:
Seriously? Not know how to change active quests?

In any case, he could have read the manual. What's so difficult in that? It's like 20 pages at most, A5 format, with plenty of pictures.

Bah! this guy is a Sophist, his reasoning isnt right, he just wants to impress with pretentious speech. If would have been of right mind at least he would have tried not to sound like an ancient sheep-hugging Greek philosopher, like:
Hitting a bumper button frees everything...
a bumper? its called the right bumper, part of the xbox 360 controller, which is like a console, on which one plays video games

its nice that there a philosophical view on games, but this one still seems to struggle with finding his way out of his cave.

so the guy is blaming FNV for what bethesda did?

did he raise these objections during oblivion and fallout 3?

vast majority of his complaints stem from those games.

Little Robot said:
Yes, this bit stood out for me.

it's one of the most painful games I've played. In the most important ways we are doomed. We all die, and we all know it will come. We are surrounded on both sides by an infinite and indescribable absence of life.

Jesus did this game depress him.
Absolutely. I hope he never tries Fallout 2 or, God forbid, Fallout 1. He might just kill himself.

TheUnwashed said:
Hitting a bumper button frees everything...
a bumper? its called the right bumper, part of the xbox 360 controller, which is like a console, on which one plays video games

its nice that there a philosophical view on games, but this one still seems to struggle with finding his way out of his cave.

Also...shouldn't be "freezes"? :confused:

The part about combat is hilarious, anyway. He makes it look like you need to take into account dozens of things.

I haven't read the whole review yet, but I totally empathize with this:

The gameplay system is a disjunctive network of overlapping lists, stats, statuses, items, quest information, character notes, curiosities, and upgrades. It's nearly inscrutable in the beginning but after 10-20 hours the most obscure corners of the system will be at least functional, if not entirely clear. It took me over 50 hours to reach my ending and I managed to not upgrade a single weapon. It took me five hours to realize that active quests could be toggled on and off in the voluminous quest log, automatically changing the markers on the game's map. I'm still not sure what sorts of ammo my Plasma Rifle was using, but I know that I could create more by finding an ammo station and transforming one strange thing into another. In the early hours I got a leftover journal from a character and searched in vain through my Items menu hoping to read it. It was nowhere to be found in the sub-categories of Apparel, Weapons, Aid, or Miscellaneous. Only 20 hours later did I realize that these non-essential character flourishes were stored in the Data section under the Notes sub-category.

I never bothered with weapon upgrade either, and didn't discovered how to do it before the second playtrough, never really needed it anyway. The same thing with the quest log happened to me. And no, the fact that it is the same thing in Fallout Bethesda 3 didn't help either, it's not like I played the game a lot.
And the things with the notes, travellog, dataquest... What a pain!
A pain also to see the differences between the energy ammo. I don't know, I miss the visual fallout interface with the images: little red thing = pistol yellow lunchbox=plasma/laser rifle. I never craft, probably for the same reason, too much trouble for very little benefit. At least for me.
In New vegas, as long as it shoots, it shoots. then i switch to another gun, i have plenty anyway.

His description of the combat seems pretty accurate too, if you don't use the "snipe from far away" strategy.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
The part about combat is hilarious, anyway. He makes it look like you need to take into account dozens of things.

Yeah,

hes talking like a guy whom just had a rehab, and now looks at the world refreshed, only things are never going to be normal for him. Not exactly the best one to write a review

Ok the firts paragraph reffers to the UI problems and item sorting which DO exist.

But the inane stuff he writes about combat is ridiculous.

@"Combat is a two step-process that involves first discovering a threatening creature, then deciding whether or not to fight it"

LOLWHAT?

@"Combat is a two step-process that involves first discovering a threatening creature, then deciding whether or not to fight it"

translation: He is saying that, when you see a little red thing in your radar, you can decide do check it out, or not, and avoid the combat if you want. I suppose it only applies in the wasteland, not in the buildings. I don't know, maybe he is used to other games where you discover the ennemy at the same times it attacks, and feel it's important to point out that it's not the case in this one.

I read it all now, I also especially like his take on this:
When I finished New Vegas, I'd decimated Ceasar's Legion, turned my back on the man who saved my life, stolen his wealth, and betrayed the New California Republic under the assumption that I could run New Vegas more effectively than their bloated version of democracy. I'd started the game as a victim, spent 50 hours inquisitively helping everyone I could, and come to the end as a villainous autocrat.
I had never seen myself as a backstabbing autocratic bastard, never realised I owed Mr House something, but now that he poinst it out, I feel guilty for chosing Yes Man the first time.

I agree the guy point a lots of attention describing details, he maybe have a pompous style, and I have no clue what the first sentence means :
If Rieff is wrong, America is where his hunch has been most disproven over the last 200 years.
?????

But overall, this is one of the most interesting review coming from a non harcore fan I read so far. Never understood the bias toward sophists either.:D
Oh, and nowhere in the review have I found him complaining new vegas was too complex...

I found that was actually quite an interesting read to be honest. Ok, some stuff was stupid, but overall better then another angry xboxkid review.

Back