New Vegas Quest mods- Discussion and reviews

Alphons

National Beholder
During my latest NV playthrough that I've started in 2022 I have decided to check out as many quest mods as it was reasonably possible (thanks to stable installation via Viva New Vegas the answer was around 200)- from the small single quests to major projects that add entire new worldspaces with dozens of hours of content.

For future playthroughs I'll be significantly scaling down their amount as plenty of them are mediocre or bad.
As I'm near the end of the last mod, I wanted to share my thoughts on the best (and maybe worst ones if anyone's interested) mods and highlight some of the underrated ones.

I plan to have sections of the reviews dedicated to different parts of the mods, with it looking something like this:

Mod author (how they've started, other notable projects, where are they now)
Synopsis of the mod and the main questline
Side quests
Voice acting
Choices and consequences (skill/ dialogue checks, reputation, how the quests interact with each other)
Companions/notable characters (if any are added)
New locations/items (if they are added)
Wild Wasteland (how wacky it is, does it use WW, does it fit the world of NV)
Replayability (have I played it before, do I plan to ever play it again)
Notable bugs/ errors, how severe they are
Some final thoughts, maybe spoiler discussion

If you'd like me to add some another category, let me know.

Before I start posting the reviews I want to organize my notes and finish the current playthrough, so I'll end the post with a couple of notable upcoming projects for NV.

If you have any mod recommendations/ reviews- please share them!

Fallout Nova Arizona
Synopsis: The expansion of Legion territory in the eastern part of the map (roughly 30% of the vanilla NV map)- featuring the rest of the Fort that could not be accessed in vanilla Vegas, additional Legion outposts and 4 civilian settlements.

The entire Fort will open to PC like in vanilla NV when you receive the Mark from Vulpes/ Alerio and travel with Cursor Lucullus from Cottonwood Cove. The rest of the territory will open up after dealing with securitron vault.

The planned quests will mostly require at least non-hostile reputation with Legion, but will offer options for all faction allegiances.

Status from the page:
Exterior worldspace - 80-90% complete
Interior worldspace - 40-50% complete
Navmeshing - 20-30% complete
Quests - 10% complete
NPC Dialogue - 5-10% complete
Loot and Combat Encounters - 15-20% complete

Fallout: Nuevo Mexico
Synopsis: Completely new story set in 4-points Commonwealth (including the northern part of Mexico). Set in 2255, player will be able to start the game by choosing from a variety of character backgrounds, including a ghoul.

The lore of Mexico will be based on Raul's stories, parts of Fallout Bible, Van Buren and Fallout Sonora.

Status: WIP without any set dates, the team plans to do further reveals of their plans throughout 2024.

Come Wander With Me
Synopsis: Remake of the unfinished Lost Lands mod from 2018.
After accepting a job from NCR embassy to look for a missing witness in a financial investigation, the Courier stumbles into the mob war. Fearing for the life of his family and not trusting potentially corrupt NCR members, the witness requests that Courier takes his family to a safe place away from the Republic until he testifies.
If Courier accepts, they may choose to hire extra mercs from the 9 available, with each one having some positive or negative impact on how the journey progresses.
The journey will consist of 8 smaller worldspaces- each with it's own characters and quests.

Status: No set release date, the author posts updates every few months.

Tales of New Reno III
Synopsis: Conclusion to the stories from the TNR0 + Episodes I and II.

Depending on the ending of TNRII, the Courier ends up in Reno for different reasons. The city and their potential allies and enemies will depend on the choices in the main quests of previous mods and some of the side quests.

Status: At least a few years of work left, some of the locations, quests and nightstalker companion have been showcased.

Fallout: Revelation Blues
Synopsis: Van Buren remade in the NV engine.

Status: WIP without a set date. The authors posted several showcases of the finished items and locations (including the ruins of Ogden around New Canaan and Burnham Sprins) on their Youtube channel.

I'll also link the Viva New Vegas modding guide that made this massive beast of playthrough possible with very few crashes and stable framerate.
https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

I just read about Nova Arizona and that sounds like a very worthwhile effort. Hope it turns out well. I'm going for that Legion run someday.

Last edited:
Guess Sonora will hold the monopoly for Mexican Fallout. Pity.

A mod that I can’t even play rn because it’s awkwardly translated by AI and still has Russian voices. This indeed blows, I was very much looking forward to FNM. I notice their YouTube channel links to a shop where they were selling FNM shirts. Questionable decision. Wonder if they got hit with a Cease and Desist.

A mod that I can’t even play rn because it’s awkwardly translated by AI and still has Russian voices. This indeed blows, I was very much looking forward to FNM. I notice their YouTube channel links to a shop where they were selling FNM shirts. Questionable decision. Wonder if they got hit with a Cease and Desist.
Is AI translation that bad? People on Codex were saying that it was quite good.

Is AI translation that bad? People on Codex were saying that it was quite good.

It's a machine translation so it's legible but obviously translated directly rather than localized which is important for dialogue in a game where you're supposed to immerse yourself in the world. To the mod author's credit he's localizing it by hand and updating it frequently, but I couldn't get into the game with the AI translation.

They also nuked their Twitter. What's going on? The showcase they presented looked so good!

image_2024-04-20_160839521.png

Back