Fallout 2 mod New voice for Cassidy

What do you think of joey's first attempt at a Cassidy voice?

• Perfect

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Decent

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • It fucking stinks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs work, but getting there

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Use ipsdoc to make 44khz acm, that will likely fix the speed issue too.
Make sure to publish original recordings too, in case they will need to be re-encoded later.

@burn thanks, but no speed issue when I used wav2lip as the readme said (stereo files instead of mono). Came out perfect.

And YESSSS! Here it is working ingame:

What's next for getting this packaged with restoration project updated?

Here's a .zip that includes:
  • the modified rpu_cassidy_voice.dat that's being used in the video above, with my voice lines
  • the (stereo!!) .wavs that the .acm and .lip files were generated from
  • a directory with all the .acm .lip and .txt files i used ready to go

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know if this could be made into an independent mod for those of us who prefer the UP to the RP? I'm not a fan of most RP content but this version of Cassidy is electric.

I'd be interested to know if this could be made into an independent mod for those of us who prefer the UP to the RP? I'm not a fan of most RP content but this version of Cassidy is electric.

thanks mr. postman!!

I'm sure it could be packaged independently or as part of the RP/UP/whatever – anyone is free to use what I've shared here in any mod standalone or otherwise :)

Need 44khz sources

For wav2lip to generate .acm and .lip files properly, I actually needed 22050hz .wavs, in stereo.

This is not an up-to-date utility for creating ACM

okay thanks – does it matter? it worked lol. read earlier posts in this thread, i have no fucken clue what i'm doing with this stuff so i used the tools recommended to me here :drunk:

i needed something that would generate both .acm and .lip files. the ACM files weren't the issue here. it was the .lips, wav2lip is the only tool i know of that will create both.

if it ain't broke!

Last edited:
Just publish original 44Khz stereo wavs (or whatever your recording format is).
@egornovivan you will handle acm/lip generation, right?
And then we'll figure out how to package it as a separate mod for consumption (head is missing from UP, so the mod will need to contain that too, and UP will need script changes)

I did not particularly test wav2lip, but support for 44khz is there, it's just that the header of ACM is not correct. I can check it all only at the end of summer.
_________
you can first make acm and lip from wav 44khz, and then make in ipsdoc the correct acm. the main thing is to clear the wav metadata before all this

ffmpeg -i "%%f" -fflags +bitexact -flags:v +bitexact -flags:a +bitexact -vn -codec:a copy -map_metadata -1 "%%f"

Last edited:
Just publish original 44Khz stereo wavs (or whatever your recording format is).

sure, here ya go:

(note that the filenames arent the same as what i already shared/matching whats in game though, these higher quality wavs are just named cas_1.wav, cas_2.wav etc)

i don't get why though? the acms and lips i generated with wav2lip worked fine, and 22050 is consistent with the slightly crusty sound of other talking heads in the base game. if you're going to use higher quality sound files for cas here, he's going to sound much clearer/out of step when compared to the other companions.

UP will need script changes

how comes? cas has different dialogue in UP? i'm happy to record to fit what's already in there

i don't get why though? the acms and lips i generated with wav2lip worked fine, and 22050 is consistent with the slightly crusty sound of other talking heads in the base game. if you're going to use higher quality sound files for cas here, he's going to sound much clearer/out of step when compared to the other companions.

Quite a valid point.

Watched the video, and job well done. impressive work!

thousands of posts in these threads. can't find an image of the vic talking head in any of them (but the top post here https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/talking-heads.191138/page-55 seems to indicate that theres a vic talking head ready to go). maybe @Drobovik can offer up some answers? i would love to do/get an actor friend of mine to do a vic voice. that useless fat little weasel is my favourite companion.

if we could get to a point where we are getting professionally-voiced talking heads for all the available companions i'd be extremely happy

Lines are likely the same in UP, it's just that starting a dialog with head works a little bit different.
As for quality, it's the same as with animations - I think going for low quality just because it's always been that way is not a good policy. Either way, lowering q is always possible later. I'd give it a playtest first.

Last edited:
Lines are likely the same in UP, it's just that starting a dialog with head works a little bit different.
As for quality, it's the same as with animations - I think going for low quality just because it's always been that way is not a good policy. Either way, lowering q is always possible later. I'd give it a playtest first.

OK, I think I understand your reasoning, but I do not agree. It's not "just because it's always been that way". It's because the base game's assets will never be better, or higher quality, without being recreated from scratch and replaced entirely, which is something that absolutely shouldn't be done with the wonderful performances of the actors in Fallout 2. With your animations example: unless the aim is to update all original animations to some new standard (which may be possible and would be rad) ... why would the goal for new animations, that will sit alongside base game assets, be to have them visually stand out against the base game's assets?

I don't know a great deal about how animation stuff works in FO2, admittedly, but I would most definitely argue that it's not "the same" situation with new animations + with new audio. With audio, dialogue especially, it's (to me, at least) extremely jarring when the quality of additions is inconsistent with the quality of the originals. It's a very common problem with mods for a lot of games. We will never be able to attain higher quality/clearer sounding voice lines for, e.g., Sulik, or the elder, or Harold or whoever. They're always going to sound crispy no matter what you do to their audio files. So I'm of the opinion that anything new added that claims to be part of a "restoration" should try to sit as seamlessly as possible alongside those original performances.

Here's a quick example. Say I'm doing a mod for half life 1 and I want to add some new voice lines for the HEV suit but have them work alongside the existing ones, and all the original voice lines and audio from the game.

Am I going to:

My choice would be based not only on which sounds closer to the original work "just because" it was done that way before, but my consideration needs to be conscious that one choice will sound way more jarring to the player than the other.

Does that make sense?

Sorry for the monster reply lol. To be clear: with any fallout work I do I'm happy to provide my source files in the highest quality as recorded if that's what folks want, but I do feel strongly about the way they're presented in game. So many mods that add voice have such a bad reputation not just because of the quality of performance, but for how grating players find it when some character they meet just sounds "different" in a way that they can't put their finger on, and it takes them out of the experience and makes it feel amateurish.

Last edited:
Back