Newest Wasteland 2 update includes a look at the inventory

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by AtomBomb, May 31, 2013.

1. AtomBomb

AtomBomb It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 26, 2012
  2. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    I love the Favorite feature. Such a great idea. <3

I would have liked a longer video though. :(

3. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    Looks similar to NV's UI though it looks better than that.
    I love it.

4. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Well, I don't like how it looks aestheticaly, it's going for a retro look I know, but it looks too cluttered for my taste.
    On the other hand, while they are going retro with the looks it actually seems like it will be easy to navigate and use.

5. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    Looks otherwise ok but that portrait screen that shows the 3d model of your character looks kinda out of place, nothing against the idea of showing the portrait in the inventory, just how it looks right now.

6. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k[/youtube]

GIMME! God I can't wait, looks better each time I see the game.

7. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake. Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Fuck yes funny item descriptions. I've been missing those for so long...

8. Daemon Spawn

Daemon Spawn Old Warrior of the Wastes

May 15, 2003
    Looking Good!

1. I'm sure it's just the video (or my internet browser's ability to play the video) but the frame-rate seemed kind of low. Hopefully the shipped game has good inventory framerate.

2. It wasn't discussed in the video, but I also hope there's a system in place to view the combined inventory of all party members, so we don't have to scroll through each party member to get an idea of the total inventory.

Otherwise, looking good. Can't wait for the finished product!

9. woo1108

Sep 27, 2012
    But one thing I curious about it is usage of various item to various things that Wasteland 1 and Fo1,2 can do is enble. without that I'm little bit depressed.

10. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    To be honest I'm underwhelmed. In part it's because I would have preferred a grid over a short list that doesn't show a lot of items, in part because the execution of the aesthetic elements just feel lacking to me.

Compared to Fallout's interface (which was a lot poorer in terms of functionality, obviously, I'm not contesting that), Wasteland 2 just doesn't seem to have the same level of care and attention put into its aesthetic.

But well, we've got item descriptions, favorites and we'll likely get a junk tab later, so at least there's that.

11. egalor

egalor Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 20, 2007
    I see what you mean - the UI (inventory included) aesthetic look is a very important feature for me too. But, having carefully drawn items (FO1-2 style) would have left us with less items generally. So, we have to deal with the FNV style, which indeed could be compensated by neat descriptions.

12. Vandal delle 3V

Vandal delle 3V First time out of the vault

Nov 7, 2005
    way to go brother none!

13. Sobboth

Sobboth It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2010
    Looks very good.
    Thinking about it drawn items like in fallout would have been better aesthetically indeed but i'm positively impressed nevertheless.
    I did not like the paper notebook effect (the style, not the description) though.
    But as wo1108 said, how can you use item on the background with this system ?
    It is very important for interactivity with the world.
    Also Brother None in an update funny thing ;)

14. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I think the inventory looks good, but is a little too animated. The power flashs, as example, I hope such things can be disabled.

15. MutantDwarf

MutantDwarf First time out of the vault

Aug 5, 2009
    I gotta disagree with most of you - I like the UI aesthetic. It feels right. I would have preferred a grid-based inventory (complete with different grids for different locations you can store things - backpack, belt, pockets, tactical vest, etc, JA2-style), but the list interface doesn't look too bad. I do hope the list can be bigger, showing more things at once (maybe a toggle of some kind), but the rest of it looks fine.

EDIT: Also, yes, congrats to Brother None for becoming gainfully employed by inXile!

16. woo1108

Sep 27, 2012
    :clap:
    I really want it now.

17. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    On a more positive note: the item description are at the very least chuckle-worthy going from what they've shown so far and add quite a bit of character, and the item variety seems pretty good, especially in terms of look. I can't wait to grace the wasteland with the zaniest party of rangers EVER, Snake Vargas and his conservatively dressed comrades be damned.

18. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Seems easy & intuitive.

The only bad thing I can say is that the UI animation of the electricity surge thingy going across the wire at the bottom of the screen is something I don't like.

But that's nitpicking. :)

19. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    It looks a bit ugly, but in a good way. I'm not sure if I like the black and orange look to the LCD though, I might prefer green instead.

20. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Looks fugly and cluttered, I hope those orange icons are just placeholders.