NMA was hacked

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Odin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    Korind,

yes, MD5 has been cracked. if i know the hashed value of a password in MD5, i can go to numerous sites and reverse-hash that in a matter of seconds.

and here is the kicker.

to "crack" a hashing algorithm all you have to do is have a table with an input value for every possible hashed value output.

then do a search in your table that matches that hashed value and use the unhashed input as your password.

that table has existed for MD5 for a while. there are projects to map out those values for other hashing algorithm out there, and SHA-1 which is a 256 bit hashing formula is like 40% mapped or something like that. SHA-2, sometimes called SHA-512, is a 512 bit formula and there is nowhere near a usable table.

remember back when sony and such were hacked by lulzsec and anonymous? all they did was use a script to do a buffer overflow on their forum software, get the hash value for one of their forum admins, and then reverse their MD5 hash, and then go to town.

technically you cannot reverse a hashing formula, but if you have access to one of those "rainbow tables" for that hashing formula, then you are golden.

2. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Well, I'll tell ya what. If you can find the reverse value of my password hash I'll paypal you $10 and change my signature to "Property of TheWesDude". You have one month starting now:

434d3b7e768751ea121c3cf556e9d374

I will also make it my personal crusade to recode the new platform with whatever hashing algorithm you choose.

3. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Hashing wars! It's on now!

4. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    Meh, hash wars are more fun.

5. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    While we are at it.

With the new forum software, will we keep all our private messages? My savebox is 1010% big, filled with more or less important stuff, and it would be a pain if I'd save to secure it on my own. :>

6. Dead Guy

Dead Guy Senate Board Director oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 9, 2008
    I've got five bucks on Korindabar.

7. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Ummmm... I'd like to look at migrating as much of the data over as possible, so 'maybe'. Not sure on how that is going to work. Stay tuned.

8. Gimp Mask

Gimp Mask First time out of the vault

Jan 20, 2004
    what kind of a person would use their own joke in their signature, seriously

9. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    I bet the hacker is a Fallout 3 fan.

10. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Aww, I can still feel the love. Miss me ?

11. MapMan

MapMan It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2007
    Well, thanks a lot. Are you proud or something? It's our passwords that leaked.

EDIT: removed the insults...

12. Gimp Mask

Gimp Mask First time out of the vault

Jan 20, 2004
    what, i don't really know who you are, but sure :wiggle: :deal: :twisted:

13. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    No, but the code that was on the site was old. I hoped it had been updated but it hadnt. Its unfortunate that it was hacked, but if a hacker really wanted to he could hack most sites. Nothing is really safe on the internet.

I do hope most had an old password on this site, if not then do remember to change your password on mail accounts, paypal, etc..etc.

Well you were around here when I was running things, even posted on the thread where Kreegle left me DAC, but Killzig and some other took it over instead. http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=61147&highlight=#61147

14. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    Hah, what a fun old thread. Lots of old faces there.

Also funny is how Mr. Teatime keeps on dissing DAC, yet afterwards he went to admin there almost up until the day he died.

15. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003
    Teatime is alive and well, we remain in touch.

16. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    I remember the windy autumn day of Mr. Teatime's funeral like it was yesterday.

17. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    Yeah - I'm a bit worried for you, Briosa. I mean, I'm not saying your crazy or anything, or that whatever you have is something to be ashamed of, but you might want to consider having someone professional have a look at that.

Do you often see dead people?

18. Morbus

Morbus Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 16, 2006
    Us Portuguese people tend to be a bit bonkers up in the head ;)

Also, who's Mr. Teatime?

19. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    He was a regular poster over here and on DAC. A writer and a semi-good musician.

He died of skin cancer a couple of months ago. August, I think.

20. Briosafreak

Briosafreak Lived Through the Heat Death

Dec 18, 2003