Nonsensical Elements in Fallout 3

Lynette said:
White Knight said:
damn. Now I feel stupid.

Dont need to, you Asimov example was very good.

Now go and destroy this Gecko powerplant and I will forget about your grammar lapsus and you will get your citizen papers.
I'd rather kill every person in VC and use your office as a dumping ground for weapons I don't want... Anywho, aside from the "kewl" mandatory lazors, I didn't really see any real sci-fi like in the first 2 games.

^Don't do that, I want to become Captain of the Guard.

Anyway, Sci-fi isn't just space and aliens, it applies to any fiction that uses science or science based ideas for stories. So if you look at Fallout in that light, its actually very sci-fi influenced

Very true, there are also robots, holo projectors and even the pip boy is very sci-fi from a 50´s point of view. Not to mention wonder meds, energy cars and stuff.

Oh btw a certain person can store all his stuff in the vault armory *snickers*

one of the big issues is that people equate realism with good and f8un and anything that violates any rules of the real world as bad. What is that kind of logic? Sometimes realism can even get in the way of fun.

tnu said:
one of the big issues is that people equate realism with good and f8un and anything that violates any rules of the real world as bad. What is that kind of logic? Sometimes realism can even get in the way of fun.
Retardation gets in the way of my fun.

define retardation? as far as I can see your just using it as a gneral term to avoid legit arguments.

tnu said:
one of the big issues is that people equate realism with good and f8un and anything that violates any rules of the real world as bad.

From the previous page:

"Realism is gradual, you dont simply have it or not. Fiction stuff has also to follow its internal logic and rules and themes."

Of course excessive realism can ruin a game. It's also true the exact opposite, excessive lack of realism can ruin a game. Try to guess what is one of the most common complain about FO3?

tnu said:

Give one example. And to show I'm not a hypocrite, I will give the example of the opposite. Call of Duty, is plagued by players with modded controllers or faster trigger fingers than most. This isn't the main problem. Its that most guns are designed with little to no recoil in the game and for some reason semi-automatics can fire faster than their IRL counterparts. Which makes the game unfair as one player can fire his gun faster than pyshics would allow. If you gave the guns recoil and pyshics like they have in Dragon rising, you would hear a whole load of american 10 year olds complaining because now they're on the same playing field as everyone else.

Call of Duty is a ctually a perfect example. all it serves to do throughout the series ifs to be the sort of same same brown and gerey shooter what tries to be "realistic" and that makes it BORING IMO. what is so horrible about a game that behaves like a game? To expand on that. IMO alot of ideas in the New Vegas Hardcore mode just serve as FRUSTRATING I don't want to ahve to worry about carry weight when getting ammo. I want to have it when and where I need it. While the option is nice to have for certain types of players its not an objectively good thing not objecgtively an improvement.

Weightless ammo make the carry weight statistic useless, which in turn would make the SPECIAL unbalanced (even more that it is now). So, no, sorry. Ammo having weight in an RPG is an improvement.

Next thing you'll say that it was better when VATS reduced damage by 90%?

tnu said:
To expand on that. IMO alot of ideas in the New Vegas Hardcore mode just serve as FRUSTRATING I don't want to ahve to worry about carry weight when getting ammo. I want to have it when and where I need it. While the option is nice to have for certain types of players its not an objectively good thing not objecgtively an improvement.

If your whining about it stop playing hardcore, that'll sort it out for you. I really don't get the point of people whining about hardcore mode, when they don't have to play it, I know it's a gameplay feature and admittedly it's something that people should try. The reason it's called hardcore, is because it's meant to be harder and more realistic, therefore ammo should have weight, which is as important as needing to drink water or go to sleep. Rant over.

tnu said:
Call of Duty is a ctually a perfect example. all it serves to do throughout the series ifs to be the sort of same same brown and gerey shooter what tries to be "realistic" and that makes it BORING IMO. what is so horrible about a game that behaves like a game? To expand on that. IMO alot of ideas in the New Vegas Hardcore mode just serve as FRUSTRATING I don't want to ahve to worry about carry weight when getting ammo. I want to have it when and where I need it. While the option is nice to have for certain types of players its not an objectively good thing not objecgtively an improvement.

Gameplay wise, it does make it more fun if its less realistic, and with CoD I would prefer for it not to be totally realistic. What I do want is to have somethings made more realistic so you can have fun and not having it ruined because somebody else is exploiting the game mechanics.

@tnu: I hope you never touch ArmA II. Your mind can't deal with the realism in that game. Here's what happened when my 14 year old cousin tried it (CoD freak):

"LOLWUT!? I shot like 9 times on that dude (soldier is 600 meters away)."
"Why does this shit kick so much"
"LOL THIS LOSER CANT RUN FOREVER?!"
"OMG this AI is so OP"
*shuts off the game*

Needless to say I lol'd couple of times in 10 minutes.

Yeah thats the problem with people these days, they can't handle realism, my younger cousin (nicknamed Pimp Cousin because he talks outlandishly) played Operation Flashpoint earlier this week, he turned it off after half a mission and put black ops in.

OPF was freaking epic even when I was 7 (the game had just been released). I remember watching my stepdad play it and I was like "gimme gimme gimme". I was getting killed all the time. I finally finished the campaign last year before moving on to ArmA II :D

Anyway, IMO realism is fun. Of course a RPG shouldn't focus on it, but a little realism never hurts (and like it was said, if you have carry weight system then what's the point of making weightless items?)

EDIT: actually, if Fallout had a backpack system where you have to put all the items in your backpack and move them around there, and your strength would determine whether you can run with all that shit you're carrying, I'd propably jizz in my pants.

and yoru saying ammo weight is objectively better that if someone doesn't thini it is better they are objectively wrong? the carry weight system still has its purpos for OTHER loot besides ammo. Sorry to say folis but "hard as hell" isn't a selling point for everyone. It should not be a sellign point because challenge does not always translate to fun. and what is so bad abo ut VATS giving you an edge? THAT'S WHAT IT IS FOR. besides when I am seeign people bitch about balance it always seams to be supported by "would you want this doen to you in Multiplayer" except one problem. The Fallout series hs never been multiplayer has it? balance is more of an issue in multiplayer modes of games.

Notice the "IMO" there? It means that it's just my opinion. Also if one bullet weights, say, 0.08kg, then what's the freaking problem? You can still carry a shitload of ammo even with more than one gun. Yea it takes space, but it's not so noticeable. Not for me at least...

VATS indeed is meant for giving you an edge: You get to stop the time and think where you want to hit the enemy. It shouldn't really affect whether you take damage or not. Once again, my opinion.

Last thing, if you can't handle Hardcore mode, don't freaking use it. That's why it is, um, like, OPTIONAL :)

ok commubnication issues here. I like the idea of hardcore mode. I just wouldn't use it myseklf I like that an option is given but would hate if it suddenly was a requirement. I'd actually LOVE if hardcore mode was less "you have it on or off" and more modular that would be really cool. i'm just getting the impression that alot of people here think "hardcore" settings should be mandetory and are objectively better.

tnu said:
and yoru saying ammo weight is objectively better that if someone doesn't thini it is better they are objectively wrong?

Yes, in a game like Fallout yes, you would be objectively wrong. If a feature/gameplay mechanic kills the purpose of the game is objectively wrong having it. Fallout is a kind of game where stats and skills have a very important role; having weightless ammo make ST and Barter useless, therefore weightless ammo is a bad idea. You can dislike it but that's a whole different thing.

the carry weight system still has its purpos for OTHER loot besides ammo.

Really? With a ST of 1 in FO3 you can bring around...

-Tesla armor + helmet
-Chinese assault rifle
-SMG
-Combat shotgun
-15 mines
-15 grenades
-Fatman
-Flamer
-Plasma rifle
-Sniper rifle
-Scoped Magnum

This with the MINIMUM ST. What else do you need inventory space for? Ammo have no weight, meds have no weight.
But of course nobody would start with a ST of 1, and with average Strength you have 40 extra lbs and access to the Strong Back perk (other 50 lbs). Yeah, carry weight sure have other purposes. :roll:

Sorry to say folis but "hard as hell" isn't a selling point for everyone.

If ammo having weight is hard as hell according to you maybe you have chosen the wrong hobby.

and what is so bad abo ut VATS giving you an edge? THAT'S WHAT IT IS FOR.

No, VATS isn't supposed to be an in-game cheat code. Having a gameplay mechanic that lets you negate 90% damage is a horrible horrible idea for any game.

balance is more of an issue in multiplayer modes of games.

So? That doesn't mean that we should be fine with broken single player games.

No its not objectively wrong there is no solid measure of what is right or wrong in this case. I'm not JUST talking about the weighted ammo though and when its that sort of weight its usually pretty ok. I don't notice the profit margine of it normally anyway since I tend to stockpile it incase I need it. or put it into the ammo press.

Back