Obsidian repeatedly declined by Bethesda to do more spinoffs for their games

Winning awards is meaningless compared to money. Cyberpunk 2077 was mediocre like the average Beth game and BG3 is not even the same genre.
I don't think that copium is going to work when Starfield didn't sell that well either. That thing was getting dominated and buttfucked on the steam charts by CP2077 and BG3 even just a few days after being launched. Not even the reviewers on steam who actually wasted money on that thing think that game is good (the score has already slipped deep into the "mixed" territory). Bethesda got nothing going for them and are getting spitroasted hard.

Also, I wish any of the Bethesda slop was even 5% as good as Cyberpunk 2077. Narrative and worldbuilding wise it is on par with New Vegas, except the combat is actually good.
do we even want them to do another fallout after the not so great outer worlds
This. People wanting Obsidian to make a Fallout game better prepare themselves for mediocre shit because that's all they do now. Most of the people that worked on New Vegas are long gone from the company at this point.
That's today's Obsidian though. I'm pretty sure that these projects Avellone was talking about were back when they still had himself and Josh Sawyer and John Gonzalez as creative leads. Nowadays' Obsidian got HIV ejaculated directly into their shitholes fresh out of Microsoft's microshaft, hence they had to get rid of problematic cis white males like Avellone and hire a bunch of millennial women to all of the writing instead. The only people from classic Obsidian who were allowed to stay were Tim Cain (because he's a fag) and Leo Boyarsky (because he's a cunt).

Fuck it, they might as well.
I don't 'want' a Fallout game by anyone at this point.
But they're going to keep milking it so fuck it let's see how badly nu-Obsidian is gonna botch it.
If nothing else it could be funny to fling shit at them too like the spastic monkeys we are.

[edit]

Also, on the note of Starfield, every time I go onto it's store page it's % has dropped by another point. I'm amazed to see the downwards climb still happening.

Nowadays' Obsidian got HIV ejaculated directly into their shitholes fresh out of Microsoft's microshaft, hence they had to get rid of problematic cis white males like Avellone and hire a bunch of millennial women to all of the writing instead.
Okay, come on. Microsoft isn’t to blame for this. Obsidian is just like any other indie/AA studio in this regard.

I saw a video from Tim Cain about how he got a lot of resistance when he asked for a simple system to be added to enemies so they could track who hit/attack them, and after that, he just stopped asking for anything when he worked on the Outer Worlds.

So I have the feeling that the Outer Worlds wasn't as good as it could have been because the team was too "cautious" (I think that's what Tim called it) about making anything, so Tim just stopped asking altogether.

If this is the case, then Tim still had the "stuff" back then, but Obsidian wasn't really "willing" to support him. So yeah, Obsidian is not the studio that would push for stuff and take risks to make cool stuff anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah after Outer Worlds, I don't really want Obsidian making any Bethesda title. If there was ever talent at Obsidian, which NV proves there was. It's no longer there.

Blame people complaining about bugs in Obsidian games while not understanding how complex they were behind the scenes. Obsidian did a 180° turn and releases much less buggy games now... that also don't risk anything anymore. My biggest issue with their later games is that the quests feel formulaic now. It's like, I just get through the initial dialog and already know the options I will have at the end of it... or maybe I've just played too many games by now, dunno.

Yes, it makes sense that you can either get Bugsidian or Blandsidian. More features or more polish, can't have both.

Blame people complaining about bugs in Obsidian games while not understanding how complex they were behind the scenes.
Also worth mentioning is that Bethesda was the one that was in charge of QA for FNV. And it seems like they stopped QA earlier than Obsidian would have liked. At least judging by the words of Feargus in an interview:
Because of unusual situations like this, and the flak that Obsidian received for them, the studio now stipulates precisely the terms of QA in any contract they sign with a publisher.
Feargus Urquhart: “One of the things that we’ve had to learn to do is to actually, in our contract, to say the publisher must put this number of QA people on the game as of this date. And KEEP them on the game for the extent of, you know, from when the game is ready to be tested all the way through like a month or so after the game has been released.”
Source

Bethesda doesn't QA their own games, the idea they'd do it for somebody else is laughable.

Bethesda has been up their own ass for the longest time. and with the release of Starfield proves the point even more.The fact they declined Obsidian a chance to develop a fallout or an elder scrolls shows there scared to be shown how to do there games right.

Last edited:
I saw a video from Tim Cain about how he got a lot of resistance when he asked for a simple system to be added to enemies so they could track who hit/attack them, and after that, he just stopped asking for anything when he worked on the Outer Worlds.

So I have the feeling that the Outer Worlds wasn't as good as it could have been because the team was too "cautious" (I think that's what Tim called it) about making anything, so Tim just stopped asking altogether.

If this is the case, then Tim still had the "stuff" back then, but Obsidian wasn't really "willing" to support him. So yeah, Obsidian is not the studio that would push for stuff and take risks to make cool stuff anymore.
Can you tell me which video that was or link it?

If Bethesda had made Outer Worlds the colour palette may have been a bit muddier and the ship's computer stolen from Red Dwarf would work with a coin slot.

This. People wanting Obsidian to make a Fallout game better prepare themselves for mediocre shit because that's all they do now. Most of the people that worked on New Vegas are long gone from the company at this point.
I want isometric fallout to be back... At least New Blood's CRPG looks promising.

I want isometric fallout to be back... At least New Blood's CRPG looks promising.
Thing is, people like to shit on Obsidian now, just to be fashionable.
When you compare Obsidian to, say, Bethesda, yeah, well, there is still much expectation~
Would Obsidian regain the quality of FNV? No. But their Fallout product is still much more palatable than bethesda~ Thats' how it is: comparing which is worse now.

Thing is, people like to shit on Obsidian now, just to be fashionable.
When you compare Obsidian to, say, Bethesda, yeah, well, there is still much expectation~
Would Obsidian regain the quality of FNV? No. But their Fallout product is still much more palatable than bethesda~ Thats' how it is: comparing which is worse now.
I agree 100%, I'd take a mediocre Fallout game that feels like Fallout over a soulless corporate nothingburger with a coat of Fallout paint.

Blame people complaining about bugs in Obsidian games while not understanding how complex they were behind the scenes. Obsidian did a 180° turn and releases much less buggy games now... that also don't risk anything anymore.
This is true, we'd have the best of both worlds if they had enough time and resources to make these complete games, but that will never happen.

Back