Omega Syndrome pulls the plug

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
If you haven't heard of indie Sci-Fi TB isometric cRPG Omega Syndrome before, well, then it's too late now:<blockquote>After four years of updating and selling The Omega Syndrome online, I have finally decided to take it off sale and shut the site down. While this game was never profitable by any measure, it was fun working on it for the first few years. However over the last year I have found my motivation to work on it and subsidise it has flagged and recently it has dropped off altogether.

While I may be back with a new site and game in the future (I was never happy with the name of this one), I don't know if I will have the high motivation that is required to make another computer RPG. Why? Fan expectations are high, the potential audience is small and fractured and the amount of work that is required to create even a low quality computer RPG, far exceeds that of any other type of game. So in short I no longer believe they can be successful financially or otherwise, unless they are properly funded and have the very best people working in each area.

As a final word I want to send out a big thank you to all of the people that bought the game and gave me a lot of encouragement over the years. :)</blockquote>A sad day for indie gaming, a sad day for TB cRPGs, a sad day for isometric cRPGs. Triple sadness.

Link: Omega Syndrome website.

Crap.

I thought the demo was rather interesting.

The only reason I hadn't purchased a copy was because I have fairly limited funds right now (am unemployed) and was planning on asking for it as a Christmas gift.

Too late now, I guess.

Well that's a shame. I was really interested in seeing more stuff in a similar vein, I really liked the visual style.

It's a pity he can't release it for free, seems a bit of an overkill to completely kill the project, but I guess releasing it like that would piss off people who paid or something.

now that wraps up a perfectly shitty day for me... I personally considered this game a landmark of true RPG-ing and a light in the edn of the tunnel in the contemporary world of flashy retarded gaming , but the guy pretty much sums all up in his reasons given... Well, don't give it up man, if you find the time and opportunity start some kind of open initiative and develop another game in that vein. I envision this is the only way to once again get games "for gamers by gamers" - gather an able community and make the game you want.

I hope Davaris will continue working on the Flash Gordonesque game - it sounds very promising.

Damn, I was quite surprised by to read that his motivation subsided over the last year - during that time he made some big improvements to the game, which brought it closer to a finished state and actually made me consider buying it :( .

I was put off by the demo. The game mechanics were taken right out of Fallout, but it seemed like the game was little more than a dungeon crawl. I heard the rest of the game was better, but I guess that wasn't enough to persuade me to buy the game. Maybe if the demo was more like Scrapheap than the rat caves, the game would have fared better... but in the end, what he said is true, hardcore CRPG players all want different things from their games and will bitch on just about everything.

OS

Omega Syndrome was developed, for the most part by a single person...whose idea was to bring a game that the rest of us could play, while waiting for BIS to get their shit together.

Instead of being a whiny ass titty baby about the state of affairs of games not living up to the Wasteland/FO1/FO2 creed, Ausie Games started the development of a Decent/exciting/FUN Game...designed/written/programed pretty much by a single person.

People on this board have slammed the game pretty hard, and for NO Reason; either put up or shut the fuck up.

I hope Ausie Games continues, not only developing future games, in that it also continues to be a consistent, supporting member of this forum.

Briosafreak said:
have slammed the game pretty hard, and for NO Reason

Er, I don't remember that, when did that happen?
Not on this board IIRC - some people on Shamo and Codex RPG did - but they had some pretty valid reasons.

Err...
Unless he counts Kharn's and Per's advices regarding what should be improved as slamming pretty hard for no reasons.

Fyu-jon!!! said:
I was put off by the demo. The game mechanics were taken right out of Fallout, but it seemed like the game was little more than a dungeon crawl. I heard the rest of the game was better, but I guess that wasn't enough to persuade me to buy the game. Maybe if the demo was more like Scrapheap than the rat caves, the game would have fared better...
Well, the rest of the game had more received quests and exploration, but there was also a lot of H&S and some dungeon crawling - it's similar in style to a D&D session - much combat and some character interaction.
Which is liked :) .

Re: OS

Maximous said:
People on this board have slammed the game pretty hard, and for NO Reason; either put up or shut the fuck up.
I think you are getting confused with the Omega Project from SeanyD. That got slammed for the unoriginal name, name dropping of Fallout despite the lack of any of Fallout's qualities, lack of... well anything done before they decided to announce it, the trying to get people to write the game for them etc.

I would like to have a crack at modding the engine etc... Would be nice if he open sourced it, from what I understand it would be a nice program to work on.

Speak up guys! David visits this forum quite often. You haven't seen the last of him, I'm sure. As to the future status of OS and the Flash Gordonish game Sorrow mentioned, only David can tell you.

I liked the method of mapping that OS used, that each level was a big image file. To convert FO2 into OS we would just need to take a few screen shots and stitch them together, err there would still be the scripting though...

I've NEVER said these cliche words before, but finally I now understand them.

I was touched by everything he said.

By that I mean, all his reasons for discontinuing his project make perfect sense and although makes me feel slightly depressed, is 100% truth.

The honesty, drive, and intelligence of David from Aussie Games is truly a breath of fresh air in todays crappy gaming industry.

Thank you for your contribution to the gaming industry, it is well-respected by myself and hopefully all members of NMA.

.../endgay

Back