Omega Syndrome pulls the plug

At the top of this post...is a link...that has been removed from OS website. If you had read THAT post, and the person who wrote the post you would know what I mean.

And the answer to "Some Pretty Valid Reasons" is-----go and write a program by yourself that is half as good as Omega Syndrome. Your half witted comment---cliche---is just that.

Do I take in personal. Actually I don't give a crap about anyone other then myself. When I see stupid people do stupid things, it just makes my jaw drop. And I've seen some pretty stupid stuff over the years---some of it even on this board.

Maximous said:
And the answer to "Some Pretty Valid Reasons" is-----go and write a program by yourself that is half as good as Omega Syndrome. Your half witted comment---cliche---is just that.
You mean the comments I translated in the thread about the new marketing strategy of raising sales by not allowing people to play the demo?

Your remarks maybe would be valid for a mod/freeware game or a game whose developer doesn't want better sales.

But in this case it's a fucking bullshit -
1. I never said anything bad about OS from the programming side.
2. Imagine that making game that sells much, because that's what the discussion was about, is a lot more than having a good idea, having a vision, a plot, a good programming and a good will.

There are tens of small things that can make game sell or not. You see, there are reasons why commercial cRPG games aren't made by one man armies and usually have multiple designers, QA department and managers that can decide about game's content.

Things like perfecting an interface, making sure to avoid suicidal design decisions, assuring that writing is of professional quality, etc. require more than one man.

I'm not talking here about things like graphics, because they aren't most important in cRPGs but things like at least two designers that can brainstorm ideas and have more control over content and design decisions, a talented writer and a QA team are a must have for any RPG that wants to be successful outside a very small group of hardcore fans.

You said that comparing a game made mostly by a single person to a game made by a company is stupid. I say that it's a bullshit - it's on the same market and the approach to work on it was verified by the market.
When it comes to general sentiments about TOS, I may agree with you - when it comes to sales and recognising context, you are completely clueless.

Of course TOS is impressive for a work of mostly one person and I like playing it, but it doesn't have chance for big sales, because it wasn't made by a team.
The reason is simple - things that wouldn't get through design discussion and QA in professional teams get into the game and some of the things that come up in design discussions and during testing aren't in the game.
And those things came up in the post you are talking about.

Maximous said:
At the top of this post...is a link...that has been removed from OS website.
Where? :scratch: I can see no posts slamming OS on NMA, to quote yourself.
Maximous said:
either put up or shut the fuck up.
If there's anything you can accuse NMA regarding OS is lack of coverage, but then we're a Fallout fan site not an Omega Syndrome fan site or even a general rpg or pa fan site.

If people from NMA have slammed this game on other boards, well that's up to them. You can't please everyone all the time, and it doesn't matter if the game is produced by one person in their bedroom or a team of trained chimps, it doesn't make a game immune from criticism.

yaa for the negative posts...

Anyway, OS was a really cool game from what I played, I was always plannign on buying it but I just never get around to guying things online, if I seen it in the shop I would have brought it ages ago. It must be very hard for an Indie developer to market a game.

Sure there were a couple of things in Omega Syndrome I didnt like, but then there were things in Fallout I didnt like. No game is likely to get the perfect 100% but Omega Syndrome was well up the top, uits much better than a lot of 'professionaly' developed and published games I've played.

I first tried the game when it was Ironman mode only and I did talk to David about this on rpgcodex. He seemed to listen so he gave people a choice if they wanted to play in Ironman mode or normal mode in a later version of the game. I then downloaded the demo for the game this summer. And enjoyed the game very much :) I was really looking forward to buying the full game when I got a job again :)

Sadly :( - now I can't do this as David has decided to not have the website anymore as well as selling the game. I think he at least maybe could be persuaded to sell the game as is, and tell people not to expect (much) support for it. As I understand it, the latest version of the game (3.?) is a very good game, modified by David to be very stable.

As for David's PR about this game, well I first heard about it from the codex, (or rpgwatch). Maybe David could take contact with say
rpgwatch, or the codex, or gamespot or gamebanshee if he at one time makes another game. I sincerely hope he does make another game at some time. But I can understand why he doesn't want to to this right now, and why he also does want to sell the game anymore as this probably would mean support for the game as well. And maybe he just doesn't have the time for this anymore...

aries369 said:
I first tried the game when it was Ironman mode only and I did talk to David about this on rpgcodex.
Heh :) .
Some guys on Codex still think that it's still in game.

aries369 said:
As I understand it, the latest version of the game (3.?) is a very good game, modified by David to be very stable.
It has a 1024x768 resolution and Fallout-style aiming screen. I hadn't an occasion to play it, because for some reason it it works very slowly on my comp - I don't know if system requirements have risen or I have to change some settings - I guess I'll never find out now :( .

I never did buy it. It's on my list of 30 or so indies to purchase and I can only buy 2-4 a month. I've only ever heard of OS from NMA and RPGCodex and recently from RPGWatch, so he didn't do even a rudimentary job of promoting his game. Dhruin at Watch pointed out that he never even contacted them or RPGDot.

Instead of kicking at the dirt and giving up, he should have tried a big push not just to RPG sites, but indie/retro gaming and some mainstream sites as well. Whatever the marketability of his game, simply giving it more exposure would certainly have boosted his sales. I've seen much worse looking games get coverage.

If he does change his mind or by chance is reading, might I suggest alerting every site and blog that may possibly think your game warrants a post or review, and I mean in addition to NMA and RPG Codex, Watch, and Dot.

Some possibilities:

GameTunnel, TIGSource, Arsecast, InsertCredit, GameSetWatch
Even the mainstream blogs will occasionally post quirky indie finds, so try Joystiq, Kotaku, Opposable Thumbs...

aries369 said:
I think he at least maybe could be persuaded to sell the game as is, and tell people not to expect (much) support for it. As I understand it, the latest version of the game (3.?) is a very good game, modified by David to be very stable.

If he's willing to sell just a few more copies, I'm sure I'd be able to scrape together the cash to buy one, especially if it's not going to be available in general any more.

I don't mind a lack of support. As long as the game runs, and I can finish it, I should be happy.

I kinda wish there had been some sort of warning that he was going to pull the game, instead of telling us after it was no longer for sale. As I said, due to my cash flow situation, I was waiting until Christmas... But, had I known it wouldn't be available at the end of this year, I would have tried to put together enough money to buy a copy.

I haven't played it and haven't THAT much interest but there are a ton of places you can sell your indy games if you're not anal about losing total control. Stardock or Steam or gah... what's the indy game website run by that guy who thinks he's the Jesus of gaming?

dadioflex said:
I haven't played it and haven't THAT much interest but there are a ton of places you can sell your indy games if you're not anal about losing total control. Stardock or Steam or gah... what's the indy game website run by that guy who thinks he's the Jesus of gaming?

Manifesto Games

Back