OXM responds to the Fallout community

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Sander, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Naissus

Naissus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 17, 2006
    I'm 24 and I own a xbox 360. I may fall within thier demographic but I am not one of those awesome explosions michael bay douches. I started the series off with Fallout 2 around the time that Fallout Tactics came out. Fell in love with the game, played it to death. Play the 1st one and then bought tactics. I don't know about other people my age, but I know when I am introduced to a series through a sequel, I tend to want to go back and play the originals, but then again I love a good story.

2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes. Yes I think we all know what their "main" demographic group is here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU[/youtube]

3. Sorrow

Sorrow So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Feb 9, 2006
    Which is why the game came with a manual with a section that explained what to do in the temple.

Unintuitive interface? Are we talking about the same game?

IMHO some games need demos to hook up new players (to show off the game's gimmicks). Fallout demo could get player into a serious fight in the first minutes of playing.
    When I saw a character torn apart by automatic fire, I knew that I must buy this game.

4. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    By today's standards it probably is. The click and hold thing probably is, so might be the right clicking to change the cursor, though I think both are discoverable. Still, I'd say that the problem with the interface is more that it's clunky (the inventory menu is where most of the problem is) than that it's unintuitive, though given how the mouse has been used in games for the past decade, it's probably both. Having been playing games for so long and having played so many older games with clunky and bad interfaces, my ability to quickly adapt to non-standard but functional interfaces is a little higher, and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of folks on NMA.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Yeah, inventory is the only issue. The fan mod that allowed the use of mousewheel made life a lot easier.

The rest of it is not that bad. It's very much discoverable, and I mean the "F1" button isn't there for show.

6. Wretched Flamingo

Wretched Flamingo Sofa King

Feb 14, 2010
    Well you see friends. This is the point in which OXM (guy of importance) realizes that "oh shit we didn't apply this issue to the entire demographic". So what does one do in such case?! Double talk. I'm glad Obsidian has taking the reins to this series minuet/major induction but one must keep in mind it is in fact all under the thumb of Bethesda. So God only knows what other atrocities they have in store.

7. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Hmm. I was about 14-15 when I was introduced to Fallout by a classmate. Of course he lent me the CD without the manual. I learned the interface within a couple of hours and was hooked. Funny how a kid can be bad to mediocre at school subjects, yet quickly learn an 'unintuitive' game interface and even like the game.

8. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    story of my life. I basically learned english from playing games even before we started having it in school. they should have more games in school.

9. Wretched Flamingo

Wretched Flamingo Sofa King

Feb 14, 2010
    38 seconds into the film the boy named Ethan unknowingly endorses Block Buster.

10. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    The gaming world be so much better if parents didn't let their kids decide what games to play and enable them with money.

Dare to dream. :D

11. Naissus

Naissus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jan 17, 2006
    Yeah, just quit dreaming now. Universal, what movie is your avatar from?

12. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    It's a Sontaran from Doctor Who.

13. troybilt

troybilt First time out of the vault

Feb 23, 2007
    Bethesda pulling the strings

My bet is that Bethesda orchestrated all this. Bethesda probably offered an exclusive scoop if OXM did not talk at all about Interplay's earlier games.

14. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Re: Bethesda pulling the strings

It's a conspiracy! :aiee:

15. UnidentifiedFlyingTard

UnidentifiedFlyingTard Vault Fossil

Mar 12, 2009
    tin foil hats for all.

16. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    What? Apart from the small item pool with no mousewheel, Fallout 1 and 2 have what's probably the best inventory system in the history of gaming.

Efficent, eaisly usable and identifiable and you don't have to click a myriad times to get to a weapon.

17. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    The Fallout Tactics one was an improvement.

18. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Erwhat? One column, no sorting, no separation of types of items, no textual identifiers.

How do you call that the best inventory system ever?

19. Ausir

Apr 20, 2003
    And you actually do have to click a myriad times to get to a given item.

20. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    I was just thinking the same. the inventory system is good in that it gives you a lot of information and it's easy to tell things apart by the nice looking icons. but with no sorting and having to click those damn arrows, it's horrible to manage. plus, from what I can remember, you can't even double-click or right-click items to move them directly to your backpack - you have to drag and drop, which is also painfully annoying.