Oz?

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
I'm not into those kind of shows, its the same reason I hate prison break.
If by 'those shows' you mean the shows I listed, those shows are nothing like Prison Break.

The Russian Rainbow said:
True Blood I watched the first season of, near all of the characters became really annoying and I was somewhat hoping for a couple to get killed.
Yep. As I said somewhere else on this site, it's basically just an emo soap filled with moron characters, and lots of titties.

But if you loved The Sopranos, you should check out some of the shows I mentioned. I've seen Sopranos, Deadwood and Rome descibred as follows:
Sopranos is Goodfellas: The Series; Deadwood is The Sopranos in the Old West; Rome is Deadwood in Rome.

Also, Sons of Anarchy is The Sopranos on bikes.
Professor Danger! said:
Don't forget the best tv show ever: Carnivale. Seriously, epic battle between heaven and hell set after WWI, in the dustbowl with magic. With Clancy fucking Brown as the best villian ever.
I have yet to watch that show, sadly. It's in my queue, though.

Sander said:
I've seen Sopranos, Deadwood and Rome descibred as follows:
Sopranos is Goodfellas: The Series; Deadwood is The Sopranos in the Old

Deadwood >>> All. Seriously, this is the closest thing to Shakespeare in a popular medium. Sopranos is also good, yes, but not Shakespeare. Oz is solid, but often seems self indulgent. Rome fell short I think, and not just due to the confusing time advancement. I concur on Dexter Season 1, but even then it waxes philosophical in a completely weak way a few too many times. The Wire looks promising, but I don't have the time to commit (and that it truly requires) these days. Carnivalle was really promising but they canceled it in a way that will piss you off if you start watching it, so don't bother; I think they realized they didn't have the budget to finish it properly, very reminiscent of Twin Peaks. Damages anyone?

Really... it all comes down to whether you have taste or not.

If you have taste, Oz is decent, if not, watch Prison Break. If you don't know, watch Prison Break.

TyloniusFunk said:
Carnivalle was really promising but they canceled it in a way that will piss you off if you start watching it, so don't bother; I think they realized they didn't have the budget to finish it properly, very reminiscent of Twin Peaks.

Well, since it was supposed to be six seasons long, a lot was left out. However, every two seasons was going to be considered a "book", and "book one" was finished (even with that cliffhanger ending). So there was a lot more wrap up with the series ending at season two than some other show finishing up a season like normal and just never coming back again. Sure there was a pretty massive cliffhanger and a few things weren't completely explained, but there was a bit of closure in some aspects, if not completely.

I definitely wouldn't recommend passing up something good just because it was cancelled (hell, look at Firefly. Fox only aired a few episodes and eventually a film was made).

But I do agree with what you said before that. Deadwood kicks so much ass.

TyloniusFunk said:
Deadwood >>> All. Seriously, this is the closest thing to Shakespeare in a popular medium. Sopranos is also good, yes, but not Shakespeare. Oz is solid, but often seems self indulgent. Rome fell short I think, and not just due to the confusing time advancement.
Rome doesn't come close to Deadwood, no, but it was very good in its own right. The first season (as so often with shows) was the best, in part due to the fact that the show got its cancellation notice a couple of episodes into the second season, meaning they decided to cram 3 seasons worth of episodes into the second season to give it some closure. Commendable, but it didn't help its quality. Also, its turn toward comedy with Caesarion in the final episode felt really out of place and weak.

TyloniusFunk said:
Really... it all comes down to whether you have taste or not.

If you have taste, Oz is decent, if not, watch Prison Break. If you don't know, watch Prison Break.
And whatever you do, don't watch more than the first season.

Back