Panther Pack

dagorkan said:
Would like to play a black character, though there should really be gameplay differences too (how people react, different quests).

This doesn't make any sense in 21st century.

The big question is, why?

taag said:
dagorkan said:
Would like to play a black character, though there should really be gameplay differences too (how people react, different quests).

This doesn't make any sense in 21st century.

1950s...

Yeah, because racism died with good video games.

WTF, man? Racism is still rampant. We're just not as open about it anymore.

In fact, contrary to what some people will tell you, I'd expect racism to be even more rampant in a post-nuclear setting because the in-group/out-group polarisation is much stronger if resources are scarce and outsiders can generally not be trusted.

Fallout 2 went the PC way and tackled the issue fantasy-style with humans and post-humans (ghouls, super mutants, and the tragically misunderstood talking deathclaws). Fallout 1 just ignored it for the most part and followed Mad Max's freak show theme (angry little midgets anyone?).

It's really more of a question of how to depict it without making the player feel disturbed by its presence or pissing off the media watch dogs.

If you can't find a way to present racism (not necessarily supremacism, just racial inequality) without offending anyone or making it comical, better don't, though.

It's the same thing as with sexism, really. The way most RPGs try to handle it is either archaic (so women are generally weaker but more attractive? At least Arcanum let you even that out in character creation) or comically offensive (belly-free body armour, I'm looking at you).

Josan12 said:
Lynette is smokin' hot

Was it just me that either found or heard an NPC say they wanted a lynette inflatable doll? I may have heard something like that in Vault 15 in FO2, not sure.

But I do remember some kind of obscene reference to Lynette, just can't remember where.

Dragula said:

That's not necessarily saying much. Fallout's aesthetic and mindset towards science is determined primarily by 1950s influence, but its social structure never looks to represent the way the 1950s would - it's more of a modern than a Golden Era take on humanity's flaws, shortcomings and strengths.

So racism in Fallout? Who knows. Like Ashmo said, it's mostly ignored, or represented by discrimination of different races (ghouls, super mutants). It's too easy to just write this off as a silly PC approach. Science Fiction has often consciously been used to highlight racism exactly by ignoring it. This isn't entirely unthematical even from a 50's approach, ref Weird Fantasy #18, but it's perhaps most commonly known in the "this island earth" approach of the Star Trek series.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and I certainly don't see any need to crowbar the presence of racism into Fallout now.

Mr.Wolna said:
I think ist ist possibily, look

Thanks Wolna that you show me somethin that I read few posts above mine. :roll:

This is only ONE animations. There are A LOT animations more to do. So my question is, if it will work out good. It has no sense to make 10 new characters with all animations if they all differ in skin color or if you need to recheck the most after you used the programm.

There doesn't seem to be any institutionalized racism in F2. Lynette, Sergeant Stark, the mayor of Modoc, and the mayor and sheriff of Redding are all black. Maybe the devs did it to be politically correct, but it makes sense that you wouldn't see much racist behavior in the post-apocalyptic world. When you're struggling to survive, you can't afford to refuse to work with someone just because their skin is a different color.

Blow-up dolls are the 'Tandi' model, but there are a few unflattering references to Lynette:
Mercenary raider: "Lynette's a good-looking woman. Well, in a aristocratic, domineering, slave-advocating kind of way."
Bishop's men, after destroying Enclave: "That Lynette chick is in bad need of some lovin', y'know?"
Bishop: "... some of that precious tech that frigid bitch Lynette doesn't want to part with..."

Kanhef said:
When you're struggling to survive, you can't afford to refuse to work with someone just because their skin is a different color.

No, you definitely can. In fact, racial tensions are often heightened to the farcical under duress. Think Rwanda.

But I image that racism is transferred to non-humans (ghouls/super mutants) and thus the need to discriminate based on colour is less.

Kanhef said:
but there are a few unflattering references to Lynette

Of course. Woman is a bitch.

Wow
Sorry, I forget to watch the modding section last few days...
Btw, I am impressed how an innocent remarque about one colored character can diverge in a serious discussion about racism in fallout...
I hope I am not going to disturb you with my rather technish precision...

What? This is from an other thread Rolling Eyes AFAIK ist made by the python script, so automate.
Actually, this was posted in another thread right, but before I began this one, check the date... So Lexx is right, sorry M.Wolna
If I had succeed in doing it automatically i would had posted it here.

Now, it isn't the first time i think something is possible manually but impossible automatically, but in the end I manage, like for the hubologist robe.
Problem is that, to do it manualy, I had to change two range of 2 colors, red and yellow, which means 4 automatical operations... This isn't something i can do intuitively anymore, so to do it, I need to discover the range (code) of color that Gimp is using, when doing HUE modification. Then i need to understand the python code to find the equivalent light change that gimp does.
Then it will take 10 minutes do to all models...
So in theorie, yes it is possible, but I am not going to work on it in a while... But I managed to do some interesting npc, like the black Ian green pant... (cant show it now, my PC is down)

Any chance I can get to the front page Brother None?
I also have the Vaultsuit in all colors, a whole set of robes... :D

Yeaht that si the reaseon i pm hologram but he did not answer yet, we need a script with do change black color also (lightness, surration).

Mr.Wolna said:
Yeaht that si the reaseon i pm hologram

Mr. Wolna, your English writing skills were much better before. What the hell happened? :lol:

Anyway, I vote for a black "Vic" model.

i was drunk yesterday^^

@topic. So there is no way to edit black "color"? Cause whe it is possible we can change for example the hair color of a char and some other things.

I made a gui for the python script, BUT what you think about a tool which you can choose the areas you will painting. Like in Photoshop, but with FRMS! I think this is possible and will be a really powerfull tool for FO Modders. What you think about it?

Ashmo said:
Yeah, because racism died with good video games.

WTF, man? Racism is still rampant. We're just not as open about it anymore.

I know that well enough, but his request seemed childish to me.
Eg. Look his skin color is different, let's change the plot!

Anyway, I doubt any black Fallout gamers would like to be treated differently.

Elissar wouldn't mind.

You're right that there's not much of a meaningful way to implement racism into the plot there, though.

Back