Pentiment - Historical RPG by Josh Sawyer

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

Obsidian said:
Announcing Pentiment

Set in 16th century Bavaria, Pentiment will take players on a narrative journey through the eyes of Journeyman Artist Andreas Maler during a time of great social unrest. The journey begins November 2022

Obsidian said:
This is Obsidian’s third year being a part of the Xbox Summer Showcase, and for the third year in a row, we are announcing a new game. Today, we have the pleasure of introducing the world to Pentiment, a 16th-century narrative adventure game directed by Studio Design Director Josh Sawyer. As you will see, this game is brought to life by a talented team who were inspired by illuminated manuscripts, woodcut prints, and history itself.

In Pentiment, you play Andreas Maler, a journeyman artist working in the bygone scriptorium of Kiersau Abbey during a time of great social unrest. While finishing his masterpiece, Andreas inadvertently becomes entangled in a series of murders that take place over 25 years. Peasants, thieves, craftsmen, monks, nuns, nobles, and even saints must be investigated and interrogated to expose the truth.

It will be up to players to decide Andreas's choices, from his educational background and lifestyle to how he investigates the murders. One day he may be digging up a dead monk in the abbey cemetery, the next might be spent eavesdropping on peasant gossip at the ladies' spinning bee. Every decision and accusation he makes carries consequences that will impact the tightly-knit Alpine community for generations to come.

We are very excited to share this unique interpretation of life in 16th-century Germany, and we can't wait to release more information with you about Pentiment leading up to its launch this fall.

We are aware that fans of our studio are also excited for Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2. Our teams are chugging away on both games and when we are ready to show them off, trust us, we will.

Pentiment will release this November on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10/11, and Steam for $19.99. It will also be available as a day one release with an active Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass subscription.

What Is Obsidian’s Pentiment? -IGN

Homepage: https://www.obsidian.net/news/obsidian/obsidian-entertainment-announces-pentiment

Part of the game's description reminds me of Disco Elysium a bit so I am quite intrigued by the game now. Plus it seems to be a pet project of Josh Sawyer which was what initially grabbed my attention when I saw the trailer earlier today.

This is likely a game that I will keep on my radar.

Part of the game's description reminds me of Disco Elysium a bit
In regards to that Josh Sawyer had the following to say:

Josh Sawyer said:
BTW, something that has come up a lot is the idea that Pentiment is like Disco Elysium or inspired by DE. That's only true in the sense that DE is a great game and inspirational in a broad sense (also that it doesn't really have a combat system, but that's kind of secondary).

Pentiment plays much more like Night in the Woods, Oxenfree, or Mutazione with light RPG elements and a branching narrative. I have huge respect for what Disco Elysium accomplished, but I don't want people to think that Pentiment will play all that similarly.

Josh Sawyer had the following to say:

I would say that DE and this game are ' Advanced Point and click or run games with added headstuff ' Broke Sword on amphetamines.

Disco Elysium set in Medieval times? Count me in! That Tom Sawyer guy said it does not play like DE.. Play the video Early Broken Sword came to mind but obviously as time moves forward through the Cosmos the evolution of games adds and subtracts what it thinks we should play. Cuno says do I 4kin CARE

I really wish I liked Disco more. Maybe if the world was larger than my dick.

Lol you stay in that first area until Wednesday. No disrespect to Paladin Hank but the cunt looks worse if he gets a shave. If there's room in the shitposting I could put up cockney/scouse accents or you check it out. An ask me any question you want about Liverpool can't guarantee I will be able to answer.
Who said Liverpool is the world in one city .. erm Charles Dickens ?

Lol you stay in that first area until Wednesday. No disrespect to Paladin Hank but the cunt looks worse if he gets a shave. If there's room in the shitposting I could put up cockney/scouse accents or you check it out. An ask me any question you want about Liverpool can't guarantee I will be able to answer.
Who said Liverpool is the world in one city .. erm Charles Dickens ?
Nah I explored the whole map I was right at the end I just burnt out on this tiny shitty adventure game that everyone got hard dicks over due to commie/anarcho shit.

Nah I explored the whole map I I meant when I played it the first area hotel and the cuno kid with scouse accent ish and the 2 borin old fuckers playing boules. I could not get across canal until I triggered something. An yes I saw lots of gripes about the politics online. I commented on me chestikov2011 accy and some people freaked. All I said it's a glorified point and click with a bit of headstuff no great shakes so hyped up to 4k. For weeks an weeks people comin back at me.. FOOLS. At the end of the day I thought it was ok to good but never cum me load like the fanboys.

That Tom Sawyer guy said it does not play like DE..
Obviously it won't play like DE... I was just pointing out the similarities between the two-- namely, that they are both narrative-focused crpgs in which the player must solve a murder. Hopefully Pentiment will be as unique and memorable as DE was.
Nah I explored the whole map I was right at the end I just burnt out on this tiny shitty adventure game that everyone got hard dicks over due to commie/anarcho shit.
People didn't fall in love with DE simply because you could play as a communist. They fell in love with it because it is a genuinely groundbreaking rpg. Can you think of any other rpg where your thoughts act as skills and influence dialogue choices? Not to mention the fact that the game doesn't rely on combat to engage the player, unlike most rpgs (except PST). You may not personally like the game, but to completely dismiss it is a little silly.

Imma play it, but not on release date because it comes out on November and Pokeymans comes out on november as well.
Looks interesting, I am a fan of Josh Sawyer's design philosophies so I look forward to it, the visual style is also pretty unique.

Sawyer kinda fucked PoE up (changed things that annoyed hardcore nerds) by being so overly autistic and irritating the fanbase so I have little faith in this title. I will buy it on sale though.

Back