perk every level or every 2?

sampson70

Still Mildly Glowing
i notice most want it go back to how the first games were ,but imo it should be every level. it made the game more fun for me. what would you want the perk level to be & why? why would we want to wait every 3 levels? i don't get it. :o

I hated every time I leveled up in Fallout 3, because there were so many useless perks it became a chore to have choose one every level. The old way makes perks seem more important, makes you actually think about which to choose, which perk will best fit your character and help you get to the end of game, because you can only have a certain number.

I agree with verevoof. in Fallout 1 and 2 it was really fun choosing perks and it made my game more interesting. I didn't like it in FO3, there was never problem with choosing between 2 perks because I knew i'll take the other one soon also.

I preferred the perks being something "special" as opposed to something common, such as skill points. Really, in Fallout 3 that's all the amount to. In Fallout, there was only 20 levels (unless my brain is failing me at this late hour), thus you cuold only choose about 7 or so perks, out of quite a substantial list . . . One that was, further, poorly defined in terms of the effects, making it a gamble that could pay off nicely or end in waiting three more levels to "fix."

Still, a nice novelty for Fallout 3 that gives one the impression their character is unique and defined, even if the majority of people will end up with the same build -- it's just a matter of time. (Course the ability to kick even more rad-roach is okay, too.)

as perks stand all characters are basically the same.

skill points.

very few add 'effect' to the game

I want proper fallout style traits and perks, to me they are a very big part of what fallout is as an RPG.

Traits can be fun or they can be number crunchy
perks add great effect to a characters ability and yes, in smaller numbers they become vastly more important. more so than 'add 5 points to this that or whatever skill...

Skill points per level << these are what add to my skill points!
Tag skills << these are things which my character is notably good at (not just a little better)

I hope, ney wish or beg that there is a game in the future which is like fallout / fallout 2 again with the intricacies of its character system and a SPECIAL system that was special.

<center>BRING BACK PROPER PERKS!</center>

Getting a perk every level was imbalanced and lame. What's more it lost it's vibe. Back in the day whenever the time comes to chose a perk it's just great, something that you have waited for and fought numerous battles and completed hard quests. Now .. it has become rather common. It's absolutely the same as video conversations back in F1 and F2 only special NPCs had video conversation and that's one of the things that made them special. And when I talk to some of the special NPCs I used to get so hyped, not it has lost its beauty.

sampson70 We would like it because getting perks every level is rather lame and and perks are losing their importance. If you want to get perks every level be my guest and play F3 from dusk to dawn.

Jax Sparrow said:
Getting a perk every level was imbalanced and lame. What's more it lost it's vibe. Back in the day whenever the time comes to chose a perk it's just great, something that you have waited for and fought numerous battles and completed hard quests. Now .. it has become rather common. It's absolutely the same as video conversations back in F1 and F2 only special NPCs had video conversation and that's one of the things that made them special. And when I talk to some of the special NPCs I used to get so hyped, not it has lost its beauty.

sampson70 We would like it because getting perks every level is rather lame and and perks are losing their importance. If you want to get perks every level be my guest and play F3 from dusk to dawn.
thanks for the insight...but you might want to slow down ,because its not edge in stone new vegas could still be a perk a level!

i understand what some of you are saying ,so wouldn't the solution be better perks in new vegas? win win right? :wink:

I still say it's a bit of overkill. If everything is a better perk, then it's still another way of getting a sort of super character, and I much prefer a character with flaws.

How about this, if there is a perk every level, have more perks have something really positive, but also a negative aspect to them. It would make things more interesting.

I'd rather get a perk every 3 levels and grow stronger forever at higher xp costs every level than just reach some level cap and become the "king of the wasteland"...

No level cap for the win.

I might not want to slow down buddy, I was never in a hurry.
Don't mention it about the insight you looked like you needed some.

I could not care less if there are perks every level, or every 2 levels. One thing is for sure it's made by cocksuckers for mangy cocksuckers like you.

The fact that you want perks every level, even better perks every level, that win win shit ... that only shows that you are a power, if you were that much into Fallout that would mean that you have played long enough to manage to survive with a weaker character and thus not being a power player. On the contrary you have proven yourself to be not only a power player but an F3 fan.

They're so stubborn, the old system proves sucessful in short games and long games. Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 respectively, I don't know why they have to screw up in the simplest things.

Jax Sparrow said:
I might not want to slow down buddy, I was never in a hurry.
Don't mention it about the insight you looked like you needed some.

I could not care less if there are perks every level, or every 2 levels. One thing is for sure it's made by cocksuckers for mangy cocksuckers like you.

The fact that you want perks every level, even better perks every level, that win win shit ... that only shows that you are a power, if you were that much into Fallout that would mean that you have played long enough to manage to survive with a weaker character and thus not being a power player. On the contrary you have proven yourself to be not only a power player but an F3 fan.
wow! :o ignoring the insults.. i meant know harm . there is a variety a pills for that buddy. :crazy:

@Quoth

As I see it the system was changed because the developers are lazy as hell and they probably didn't really understand S.P.E.C.I.A.L seeing it more like D20, stat driven etc etc, even base D20 they don't hand out feat's like confetti

I know it counts for nothing in the long run as developers will do whatever they fekkin well please, but I honestly believe that the original fallout / S.P.E.C.I.A.L system was one of the most balanced player character systems I've ever come across.

and as for Jax Sparrow's comments, Yes the FO3 aberration of the SPECIAL system was purely for the 'powah playah' style (my recent exploits in my no-weapons run through have proven this quite well) FO3 has turned the system into mush, the stats mean next to nothing, the skillpoints are almost a redundant set of numbers that seem to relate to little in terms of in game effect, its safe to say that FO3, and any game which may use it as a base is going to be first and foremost an FPS game.

I hate to have to keep repeating myself but we the few that enjoy an RPG and the challenges it may bring are to be left behind and ignored by games developers.

On a good side however, I suppose it means more pen & paper games in person... which means we the RPG fans would become more socially active than the 'gamer-nuts' that enjoy shitty shitty console targeted cRPG's.

So... who's coming round my place for one night each week for a spot of RPG?

sampson70 said:
wow! :o ignoring the insults.. i meant know harm . there is a variety a pills for that buddy. :crazy:

wow! :o ignoring the insults.. i meant know harm . there is a variety of cocks for you buddy. :crazy:

It's amazing how you used sarcasm to offend me and then say you meant no harm, you are a total pusseh!
thanks for the insight...but you might want to slow down ,because its not edge in stone new vegas could still be a perk a level!

And what if FNV has a perk rate of 1 ...what you said is pretty much equal to : yes, you might be right but the game would still have a perk rate of 1. That does not piss me me off even one bit because I have already set a very low expectation for the game.

I reckon I understand the spirit of fallout and what fallout is about, I have strong doubts that you do to. As long as Cratchety ol Joe, a guy that I em 100% sure that he knows what he's talking about and truly understands what fallout is about, I know am not saying anything wrong and I don't have to listen to F3 powah playin' pussehs like you sampson70

I think it more likely the developers actually liked the idea of perks, they just didn't understand that the spacing of their achievement was one of the reasons they were so enjoyed (aside from comic relief, different playthroughs, slight changes to the GUI, the aspect of gambling a point away .etc).

To put it simply, is it a perk if you get it every level, or +2 strenght/+10% steal?

verevoof said:
I still say it's a bit of overkill. If everything is a better perk, then it's still another way of getting a sort of super character, and I much prefer a character with flaws.

How about this, if there is a perk every level, have more perks have something really positive, but also a negative aspect to them. It would make things more interesting.
that would be cool.

But then they would become traits...which is not actually a bad thing, but I'd still prefer the two traits in the beginning and a perk every 3 levels + no level cap...just like in Fallout 2.

Jay Null said:
I think it more likely the developers actually liked the idea of perks, they just didn't understand that the spacing of their achievement was one of the reasons they were so enjoyed (aside from comic relief, different playthroughs, slight changes to the GUI, the aspect of gambling a point away .etc).

IIRC it was exactly that the rationale behind the idea of "one perk per level", that since picking perks was great in FO1-2 they made it this way in FO3.

Anyway, many traits from Fallout return, but as perks. And many perks return, as perks. Another change over the last year is that you now pick a perk every time you level, and the perks have been balanced accordingly[lol]. Like I said before, we found the level-up-pick-a-perk experience to be so enjoyable, it was actually confusing people why they couldn't do it every level. Perks also still have prerequisites for certain stats, including your level. New perks open up at even levels, so while you still get to pick a perk at the odd levels, you won't see any new ones based on your level, but may see a new one based on say, your Science skill.

The good news is that there are a ton of perks, around 100 if you include the multiple ranks. And with a level cap of 20, you still have only 19 times you get to pick one, so you need at least 5 playthroughs of the game to use them all. It was important to us with all of this, that the choices were hard for the player, no matter what the skills/traits/perks were, and that you couldn't see it all the first time through.

Back