Perks Reviewed, mostly all useless.

UncannyGarlic said:
.... If you have the formulas used to calculate starting skill points and skill points gained per level then please, post them ....

That and where you can find the bobbleheads is practically the only information needed for the leveling guide on this subforum to be finishable. In my whole calculations I had to assume that the shown 17 skill points are the amount you get every levelup. So knowing that for sure would remove any doubts.

Kashrlyyk said:
That and where you can find the bobbleheads is practically the only information needed for the leveling guide on this subforum to be finishable. In my whole calculations I had to assume that the shown 17 skill points are the amount you get every levelup. So knowing that for sure would remove any doubts.
It looks like the formula is 10+IN skill points/level. I could be wrong, though, since this is just an assumption from my playthrough.

I'm getting 20 (23 with educated) skill points per level so its either 10 base, and then +1 per int, or int x 2.

Humpsalot said:
I'm getting 20 (23 with educated) skill points per level so its either 10 base, and then +1 per int, or int x 2.
19 skill points with 9 INT so 10+INT.

Do you know the formulas for the starting skill points in each skill? I ask because you've been working off the assumption that starting with 10 IN is the best route but I could easily see starting with 9 IN (putting that extra point elsewhere) and getting the IN bobblehead as soon as you get out of the vault being better.

UncannyGarlic said:
Do you know the formulas for the starting skill points in each skill? I ask because you've been working off the assumption that starting with 10 IN is the best route but I could easily see starting with 9 IN (putting that extra point elsewhere) and getting the IN bobblehead as soon as you get out of the vault being better.
In the IGN review video I found the average starting points to be 19 with the three tag skills applied! I changed that in the leveling guide. http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/882/882301/vids_1.html

The starting values and stats it depends on:
Barter 15 Cha
Big Guns 17 En
Energy 13 Per
Explosives 13 Per
Lockpick 13+Tag Per
Medicine 19+Tag In
Melee 16 St
Repair 19+Tag In
Science 19 In
Small Weapons 19 Ag
Sneak 19 Ag
Speech 15 Cha
Unarmed 17 St

The fact that all his Int based skills have a value of 19, suggests he has 9 Int. Unarmed and Melee doesn´t match and he has only 17 skill points left to assign, so two are missing. One in Unarmed and one in Big Guns?

Intense Training pretty much breaks the game. If you want to blow through the game at rapid speeds, use this.

With +1 to stats at every level (and you do level up fairly fast in this game) you can essentially make your character a super hero midway through the game (around level 10 or so).

Most of the other perks are fairly useless, although Bloody Mess is always fun with Brass Knuckles.

UncannyGarlic said:

The problem is that according to the Fallout wiki the Int bobblehead is in [spoiler:563746784f]Rivet City[/spoiler:563746784f] and Int has three skills assigned to it, just like Perception, and the others only two or even one. I think depending on how fast you get the bobblehead the difference between 9 or 10 Int it can be completly ignored. If you get it just before reaching lvl 10, you will only loose 8 skill points.

Since I've been seeing a lot of speculation regarding what opens up new options for speech I just wanted to point out that I've seen Small Guns related speech options twice now.

In Big Town I was able to use my Small Guns skill to train the residents via target practice before an impending super mutant attack, allowing them to fight back and defend themselves in the future.

The other was less dramatic, in a conversation with Reilly, of Reilly's rangers, the Small Guns option was only a comment regarding knowing of her group by reputation for packing serious hardware.

TheLastOutlaw said:
I just wanted to point out that I've seen Small Guns related speech options twice now..
I found a 3rd one in the mission to rescue a Brotherhood Initiate. His gun is jammed. If your Small Guns skill is high enough you get a convo option to ask to see it and clear the jam. That allows him to help out in any combat.

I just realized I really shouldn't have posted this here. It's a perk thread and I'm talking about skill based dialog options, my bad.

I picked mysterious stranger on a whim. he has showed up only twice so far (it plays a western-movie "guns at high noon" kind of tune when he appears) but he seems to always finish off whoever you were targeting.

besides being dumb it's so rare that it's a completely worthless perk.

Anyone find any use out of "Child at Heart" one megaton girl gave me code to step dads safe, but i am playing a good guy so that was worthless. Simm's kid won't talk to me, and no kid in Rivet will talk to me either. Wondering if someone picked this and has gotten any new quest out of it.

I took it.

You can also get a key to a locked dumpster from the kid in the "Those!" quest. It has some good gear but it's nothing amazing. I'm a little dissapointed in it as a perk but I'm hoping it will open up some more stuff when I get to that one town that has nothing but kids in it.

Kashrlyyk said:
UncannyGarlic said:
In the IGN review video I found the average starting points to be 19 with the three tag skills applied! I changed that in the leveling guide. http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/882/882301/vids_1.html

The starting values and stats it depends on:
Barter 15 Cha
Big Guns 17 En
Energy 13 Per
Explosives 13 Per
Lockpick 13+Tag Per
Medicine 19+Tag In
Melee 16 St
Repair 19+Tag In
Science 19 In
Small Weapons 19 Ag
Sneak 19 Ag
Speech 15 Cha
Unarmed 17 St

The fact that all his Int based skills have a value of 19, suggests he has 9 Int. Unarmed and Melee doesn´t match and he has only 17 skill points left to assign, so two are missing. One in Unarmed and one in Big Guns?

Starting stats effect on the skills: 5 + 2 * stat and for melee 10+stat and unarmed 11+stat.

He then would have 5 in Luck and Charisma, 4 in Perception, 6 in Endurance and Strength and 7 in Intelligence and Agility.

The only place I found the "Child at Heart" perk to be any useful was in Little Lamplight. If you dont have that perk there, you do not get the Wazzer Wifle for free, the Soveneir shops wont buy stuff from you, and you will have a harder time getting into the town.

BTW, Little Lamplight is an insult to the old Fallout games. They have a tin gate guarding them from Super Mutants with heavy weaponry. Riiiiiiiiight.

I scouted for Little Lamplight around Bigtown after returning Red and Shorty but got distracted and moved on (I started Agatha's song quest). Approximately how close to Bigtown is Little Lamplight? (And in what direction?)

TheLastOutlaw said:
I scouted for Little Lamplight around Bigtown after returning Red and Shorty but got distracted and moved on (I started Agatha's song quest). Approximately how close to Bigtown is Little Lamplight? (And in what direction?)
I want to know this too. it pisses me off that I don't get any dialog options in big town to ask about it even though almost every character whines about getting kicked out of it

Back