Planned downtime

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Odin, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Odin

Odin Carbon Dated and Proud
    Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    NMA will have some planned downtime later today at 19:30 CET for an upgrade of the forum system.

Some functions of the website will not be fully functioning after the upgrade, but we hope to have them in place as soon as possible.

2. Is this because of the hack, or is there a different reason?

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It's because we're updating, as we were planning to do (and it would have resolved these security issues) when the hack happened.

Update will hopefully happen sooner rather than later. If the site goes down, you'll know why.

4. Odin

Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Time for the doom song?

5. TwinkieGorilla

TwinkieGorilla This ghoul has seen it all

Oct 19, 2007
    It is because bntest has willed it so.

6. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    whats the password hashing method of the upgrade and what account login attempts security methods are being added?

7. Odin

Admin

Apr 2, 2003
    Its a total upgrade of the forum system, which has been updated latetly. It didnt happen last night due to some technical issues at our host, but we hope to have it ready soon.

8. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    The new software is substantially more robust than what we're currently using. As long as we keep it up to date as patches come out, we should be fine. This was likely a random Google attack. We aren't a particularly 'juicy' target.

9. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    I dunno about that, we were a popular target back when Bethesda took over Fallout. People would attempt to DDOS admins' computers and attack the site. I think the worst of that is behind us though.

People get very angry about us not having the same opinion as them.

This one was indeed random tho.

10. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Can't do much against getting DDoS'd unfortunately... the trick is keeping the platform up-to-date, which gets harder the more add-ons get installed since they often break. Then the add-ons themselves aren't subject the same security QA usually.

Batten down the hatches for Fallout 4!