• Its bad

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Its good

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Throatpunch

Banned
Jokes, this one is worthwhile.

Isn't abstract and modern art crap? I do hate it. I miss good old art created by people with actual talent.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Feminist art is great.
slide_305199_2618338_free.jpg

"I need bias confirmation, please give it to me".

Abstract art itself isn't bad, the problem is that a bunch of talentless hacks have been using it as their call to fame and they are dilluting it. Not all of it is just pretentious wankery and just taking impressions of your genitals.

Altho I guess it's easier to just go "This isn't art! pain purtty pictures!".

What do you mean by Modern Art?

To me, Modern Art correspond to a period of time starting around 1860s-70s, and end in 1950. Everything after 1950 isn't Modern Art.

This is Modern Art :

Van_Gogh_-_Country_road_in_Provence_by_night.jpg

Van Gogh
Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec_017.jpg

Toulouse-Lautrec
131007_r24070-1045.jpg

Balthus

But, personally nobody can beat Cranach the Elder as portraitist (16th Century)
Lucas_Cranach_d.%C3%84._-_Bildnis_der_Prinzessin_Sibylle_von_Cleve_(1526,_Klassik_Stiftung_Weimar).jpg

Or Jean Fouquet (end if High-Middle Age, early Renaissance) with his diptych for the weirdest anachronistic painting.
Diptyque_de_Melun_reconstitu%C3%A9.jpg

Last edited:
Is this supposed to be an example of that "good abstract" art you were talking about?

I'll take this over someone smearing colours randomly in vague shapes anyday.
30.jpg

What you did here is you basically compared Command and Conquer to Dark Souls - different genre, different mechanics, different looks, different idea, different result - only common ground is that both are video games.

Just because both of the two are paintings doesn't mean that comparing them is valid. Time frame, idea, style - basically everything is different. Sure, nothing wrong in having the preference over the two, but comparing them is stupid.

What you did here is you basically compared Command and Conquer to Dark Souls - different genre, different mechanics, different looks, different idea, different result - only common ground is that both are video games.

Just because both of the two are paintings doesn't mean that comparing them is valid. Time frame, idea, style - basically everything is different. Sure, nothing wrong in having the preference over the two, but comparing them is stupid.
This
Is objectively better than this

The disparity in the amount of skill and craft required between the two is undeniable.
You are right though, it is stupid to compare them. Comparing them is like comparing Fallout 1 and Fallout 3,

The disparity in the amount of skill and craft required between the two is undeniable.
Requires more skill to make =/= better.
You are right though, it is stupid to compare them. Comparing them is like comparing Fallout 1 and Fallout 3,
Except that Fallout 3 was supposed to be a direct heir of Fallout 1, and was supposed to create the same feelings towards the franchise, therefore it fails in its own themes, as opposed to being bad for not portraying the things of a different genre

The painting of Napoleon was supposed to show a heroic side of him as he rode a steed forwards. It's a portrait, designed to show the artists feelings towards the subject.

The Modern Art piece probably has a very different intention, and isn't supposed to provoke the same feelings as the Napoleon painting.

Requires more skill to make =/= better.
It's kind of necessary to be skilled at something to make it better. You can't be a good football player... without having any skill at football. You have to know a bit more than how to wiggle your paintbrush around on a canvas in vague shapes to be a good artist sorry.
The Modern Art piece probably has a very different intention,
Right, the modern """""art"""" piece is a bunch of colours slathered on a canvas and then given a meaning.
Where is the talent in that?

Jokes, this one is worthwhile.

Isn't abstract and modern art crap? I do hate it. I miss good old art created by people with actual talent.

What do you think?

You're thinking postmodern.

Anyways, the point of art is to invoke feeling, meaning, and/or emotion in the user. Whether it's direct or indirect matters not. It's the same reason we listen to certain types of music, and dismiss other types as pure shit.

I think some postmodern art is nice looking, but most of all a lot of it is open to interpretation. Like what @Walpknut linked. It might seem like a bunch of brush strokes here and there, but there's obvious intent in the composition and color selection which is being used to convey some kind of feeling.

Back