Project Van Buren

I'd support such a project if it had say a crowdfunding campaign. This deserves to be created and played by all classic Fallout lovers. Keep it up.
Thank you. I don't really need money for the project so there is no point in donating. Furthermore, there are two more reasons why I ruled out this options in the past:

1. Someone could very well consider any type of income produced from this project, in whatever form or for whatever purpose, as a copyright/trademark violation. Even though it's unlikely, I don't like taking unnecessary chances.
  2. Trust bestowed upon me and my team in form of money means some sort of promise from me to you that I will deliver what you donated your money to. While I'm doing my best to do so, I wouldn't hold my breath for it myself, because no one knows what might happen in the future and the last thing I want is to be accused of a fraud or being a money-seeking scammer.
I always say that more than money, I need skilled and experienced developers, mainly artists. My team only consists of writers and one character artist, so the actual development (2D and 3D Art, gameplay programming, engine and tools programming) still falls to my lone self. Which is fine if you ask me, because I like doing things in my own pace, but it costs much more time this way indeed.

I always say that more than money, I need skilled and experienced developers, mainly artists. My team only consists of writers and one character artist, so the actual development (2D and 3D Art, gameplay programming, engine and tools programming) still falls to my lone self. Which is fine if you ask me, because I like doing things in my own pace, but it costs much more time this way indeed.

I guess there aren't that many devs who'd love to work on a game for free just out of sheer love for it...
Sadly I can't contribute necessary skills, but if you think of some way that not-a-dev can help – let me know. I can translate anything into Russian, if needed, although I understand that is not very helpful at this point.

Thank you. I don't really need money for the project so there is no point in donating. Furthermore, there are two more reasons why I ruled out this options in the past:
  1. Someone could very well consider any type of income produced from this project, in whatever form or for whatever purpose, as a copyright/trademark violation. Even though it's unlikely, I don't like taking unnecessary chances.
  2. Trust bestowed upon me and my team in form of money means some sort of promise from me to you that I will deliver what you donated your money to. While I'm doing my best to do so, I wouldn't hold my breath for it myself, because no one knows what might happen in the future and the last thing I want is to be accused of a fraud or being a money-seeking scammer.

As for finanial support: is changing just enough to make it a product of it's own not an option?
Also, my main point about donating is just that it would maybe help you and those who work on it have more time to dedicate to it, free up some time.
And as for promises..don't take this the wrong way, but do you actually have a desire to see it finished?.. Or is the journey more important to you than the destination, so to speak?.. I would love to see such a project completed, it's inspirational..but I am on this side, I don't know what goes into making a game, I'm just a player.

Many projects tried to kinda revive Fallout..in their own way. What I've seen of the art you shared on Twitter – definitely captures that feel of the originals.)
Thank you for your attention and reply.)

And as for promises..don't take this the wrong way, but do you actually have a desire to see it finished?
The only thing I can say is that I'd indeed like to, the way this project is developed aims to achieve production-ready framework. I can't promise it, I can't predict it, I can only work towards it.
Considering the project was started in 2018, doesn't that give an estimated release date of...

2060 or so?
Current development iteration began circa 6 months ago. Everything before that point was a trial and failure kind of work that helped me to figure out better solutions, setup proper production pipeline and workflows. The more work is done now, the better subsequent productivity will be. For example, thanks to almost two months of work on MAPS tool, I can build medium sized map (Blackfoot Village) in 4 hours - map that works out-of-the-box with all game systems.

Anyways, if you don't like the speed of my work, well, I've got bad news for you - I have master degree to attend to, work to go to, people to meet, beers to drink, and unfortunately - only two hands to work with :razz:

Last edited:
Current development iteration began circa 6 months ago. Everything before that point was a trial and failure kind of work that helped me to figure out better solutions, setup proper production pipeline and workflows. The more work is done now, the faster subsequent productivity will be. For example, thanks to almost two months of work on MAPS tool, I can build medium sized map (Blackfoot Village) in 4 hours - map that works out-of-the-box with all game systems.

Anyways, if you don't like the speed of my work, well, I've got bad news for you - I have master degree to attend to, work to go to, people to meet, beers to drink, and unfortunately - only two hands to work with :razz:

Ahh, good to know. I wish you the best of luck.

I know you're disappointed with the direction you have taken with graphics Wanderer, but I honestly love how the game looks. More so then when it originally had realistic graphics. The new style is stylelized and stays true to the asthetics of the tech demo while looking more modern and updated without being unfaithful. It makes the game look unique and interesting.

I know you're disappointed with the direction you have taken with graphics Wanderer, but I honestly love how the game looks. More so then when it originally had realistic graphics. The new style is stylelized and stays true to the asthetics of the tech demo while looking more modern and updated without being unfaithful. It makes the game look unique and interesting.
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed. Maybe I was for a while, but more than disappointment I felt fear of what the fans would make of this change. Turns out a vast majority preferred stylish graphics over the realistic take I forced into it before. And I'm glad for that, because I myself love the way the game looks and feels now. You can see that I still smuggle a few technical enhancements here and there (normal maps, realtime shadows, etc.) to please my "innovator" self, and I think that's the right balance.

Would I had come to the same conclusion earlier, so much time could've been saved. That's the only thing I regret a bit. On the other hand, the value of learning on a mistake is always priceless.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, this looks pretty good.
Still I don't believe that anything real will ever come out of it, though. Van Buren has been attempted for like a million years now and it always ends the same.

Not gonna lie, this looks pretty good.
Still I don't believe that anything real will ever come out of it, though. Van Buren has been attempted for like a million years now and it always ends the same.
I don't suppose there's much I can say to that. I totally get the skepticism, so I'll leave you to it.

Who knows? There are many fan projects that have taken countless years to be completed, that many people thought would never be finished. Games like Fallout 1.5 and AM2R come to mind. Even mutants rising is getting real close to completion despite almost being cancelled one time. I'm not saying to have faith in the project. But I don't see the point of comments like this either.

I'd love a new [real] Fallout-style game, but I was not too keen on VB's story, and treatment of ghouls. If the gameplay is the real deal, then the story will be fine...

Back