Project Van Buren

Spent a few days refining the automated collision setup system. The whole system, along with building-story fade and context-menu features is heavily dependent on mesh/material setup of the geometry, so I was pretty scared it'd turn out error-prone and time consuming to fix on spot. I've made a few changes, came up with some solutions (pretty genius ones if you ask me :lol:) and today I performed some test. I reset all the prefabs, removed all collision and set it all up again with the automatic tools I've made. Voila! Two clicks, couple of seconds wait, everything is set up and all system dependent on this work out of the box - navmeshes and navigation, building-story fading, and even context menu (since the reset, strings are not set on the prefabs, hence the Look option returns empty floating messages).

I mean, the video doesn't really show anything mindblowing, but the cool thing is that you can get all this set up and running in a few clicks.

I'm with Lexx on this one. While I love the way it looks the road to be finished is real long. Hope you will prove us wrong however. Any plans for the future to get maybe like a small team together? or is still already the case?

Experimenting with Vault tiles and interior lighting.

Er9ZG12XAAIbW9K

I would like to see areas of the vaults not shown before like hydroponics, storage and such. I mean they must have tons of stuff stored as well as grow their own food.

Do you think you could ever release something similar to a demo sometime in the future? If so, then when do you think that would be possible? Like a year from now, 2 years, etc.

Btw. last time I checked, the 3d models and animations of FOnline were open source. So you could consider porting this stuff, as it is pretty far advanced nowadays.

Btw. last time I checked, the 3d models and animations of FOnline were open source. So you could consider porting this stuff, as it is pretty far advanced nowadays.
It's not that easy. These animations were made for this skeleton, they are properly timed and they blend together without software blending, which means they are frame-safe. Development is now far beyond the point where I could employ different animations.

Just saying, because FOnline has pretty much all the armor and weapon models, as well as more true-to-original animations instead of the weird looking ones from the Van Buren demo.

for some reason I think initially it was necessary to capitalize the project as much as possible
almost any name can be used - this is secondary
world of supermutants fallout wasteland tactics chronicles and so on
the main thing is the special system itself

Did you get design documents from the devs or are you just making stuff up as you go along?
Yes, I managed to gather some of the design documents that are not publicly available from the original designers. Fort Abandon, for instance, was designed after one such document.

Back