Realistic NUCLEAR post-apocalyptic simulator???

TheJanplanet

First time out of the vault
Ok so i would really like to know if there is one.Kind of like Day z but without zombies and with radiation.I mean there is Fallout but after further investigation i know that there would be:

A) No mutants (there is no FEV virus)

B) Not only the water would be irradiated

C) the radiation would have passed by then.

So is there something that really accurately portrays the Nuclear post-apocalypse?

TheJanplanet said:
B) Not only the water would be irradiated

C) the radiation would have passed by then.

I'm a bit confused by this statement. So is the radiation there or not?

By the way, wrong forum.

At first there would be radiation (not only water) but after 200 years it would all pass.Oh and which forums should i have posted it in?

It should have been in the General Gaming and Hardware forum (right below this one). It's OK though, one of the admin's going to move it there so you don't need to worry.

As for your choice of game, I'm not sure there's any realistic nuclear simulator out there. Metro 2033, for example, has monsters, but other than that the setting seems plausible. STALKER also uses lots of science-fiction, but it has present-day weaponry and captures the feel of a dead Soviet city well - it's not really post-apocalyptic in a global sense, though. You also need to eat and drink to survive. Both take place shortly after a nuclear eruption, so radiation there makes sense. Wasteland (which is a predecessor to Fallout and a new one is to be released late 2013) also has various monsters and things are generally pretty wacky, but overall it's got a more grounded, down-to-Earth setting, and you need water to travel big distances.

I think your biggest source for a nuclear simulator would be mods. There are plenty of 'realism' mods for New Vegas, and other games - most likely STALKER too. There are a few for the older Fallouts, and Tactics, which you can view in the Modding forums below.

I have played all of those games and they are all awesome...I guess i'll just have to wait for someone to make a really realistic post-apocalyptic game,that isn't zombie related.

NEO Scavenger sounds close to what you want unless the classic turnbased gameplay puts you off. I haven't played in a while, but in short your goal is to survive as long as possible by exploring and collecting food, water, weapons, clothing, etc.. It's very cool and hard as hell.

I'm not sure why I've never seen it mentioned before. Possibly because it's a browser game without all the 3D bells and whistles people have come to expect.

I think a realistic well done Post apoc game could be awesome. It would be something really different compared to the semi-realistic-zombie-mutant games out there.

It would need good writing though and a really interesting storyline.

The gameplay should focus heavily on survival. Do I engange those people? But I have only 20 bullets for my rifle. Food, water and shelter would play a role too.

Crni Vuk said:
I think a realistic well done Post apoc game could be awesome. It would be something really different compared to the semi-realistic-zombie-mutant games out there.

It would need good writing though and a really interesting storyline.

The gameplay should focus heavily on survival. Do I engange those people? But I have only 20 bullets for my rifle. Food, water and shelter would play a role too.

I think something similar to Oregon Trail might work, preferably a much more complicated version, but you get the gist. I believe I suggested something like that once before, but it would have had mutants. A realistic version would probably be much better.

You have died from radiation poisoning. :nuclear:

I don't mind mutants, though I would like see them in a different light. Taking it even a step further then Fallout. And making it more "realistic" from the characters and look. - Fallout of course isn't bad, just saying it was a bit cartoony sometimes which is shown by some dialogues.

Well, what are mutants? Any sort of mutant in real life is extremely weak compared to its 'pure' source, and they die out very quickly because they don't find themselves a partner to breed with. Natural selection for the win.

Actually, some mutations turn out better for the species, in which case they are not weeded out via natural selection. Other minor mutations are also not weeded out all the time: such as eye color. I think it was green eyes that are a genetic mutation that survived in humans?

While it is true that **most** mutations are harmful and die off, it is certainly not true that all of them do. I've taken biology, Anatomy/physiology as well as microbiology and a diluted form of pharmacology for nursing students, and all of the sciences will back this up with evidence.

I too would like to see more realistic mutations in a true 'sim' of a post apocalyptic environment. If done right, the game could do real well. it HAS to be open ended though, to get the true survival feel, imo. As for 'realistic' mustations? Well, use your imagination and imagine what would become beneficial for a species during a nuclear winter.

While I know it's not post-apoc and all that, you should really try STALKER: Call of Pripyat with the MISERY mod. It adds a bunch of realism stuff to the game. You and the AI are on equal lethality in gunfights, in the beginning when you and most guys are just wearing windbreakers and heavy coats, a couple of shots will put either of you in the dirt pretty quick, then when it's you or an enemy wearing an exoskeleton, small arms get shrugged off pretty easily and the big guns or concentrated fire will be needed to take someone down. Speaking of gunfights, getting shot without proper protection will actually throw you for a loop now, especially with bigger calibers and things like that, also while it's harsh sometimes, the medkits and bandages aren't just quick-health fight winners anymore. The AI doesn't have Terminator reaction times or vision anymore, so you can actually sneak and ambush people competently if you plan well. There's now the need to eat and sleep, so you can take a jog back and buy some food/drink or take a rest at the Skadovsk and Yanov station, unless you wanna start getting the shakes and risk bad aim for starving yourself, or dozing off and eventually nearly passing out if you sleep-deprive yourself. The night is actually dark now, that first job for either Beard or Sultan at the small Stalker camp will be pretty scary with guys trying to smoke each other in the pitch black, so you'll either need to be brave enough to venture out with a flashlight or buy yourself some night-vision eventually. There's new weather effects that will make going out on jobs, scavenging for artifacts and loot or whatever else more atmospheric and even sometimes more dangerous. There's some new jobs added to flesh out some of the areas and overall give you more to do. There's quite a few new weapons added to the game, pretty much all of them well-balanced to keep the game fun and difficult. There's also food/drink to keep you fed and hydrated on bigger trips, as well as a couple of new medical items (If I'm remembering right) to give you a chemical edge in the right situations. You'll start off the game with new and varied gear, having picked one of the new military specializations when you installed the mod, which I've included as an image. Plus they're still going on with it and refining more thing to add to the game.

I know it comes off like I'm kissing up to the game pretty hard, but it's one of the most enjoyable mods I've tried in a while. It makes for a really refreshing and entertaining/difficult spin on your next CoP playthrough.
j0sCq.jpg

You could check out the 2005 isometric RTS called "Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath, it's an ambitious game from Russian developer G5 Software set in an alternate 1962 (see intro).

Unfortunately it's rather buggy, has a steep learning curve (and a useless tutorial) and the translation is certainly not without flaws but if you enjoy the PA setting, alternate history and "hardcore" strategy games à la Blitzkrieg (same engine) you will probably enjoy this game.

It's a richly detailed that has a vast number of units, most of which exist in real life, there is an excellent in-game encyclopedia that contains all information on units one could possibly hope for.

There are four playable factions: USSR, China, USA - Great Britain alliance and the France - German alliance.

The game is divided into chapters in which the player is given freedom to handle challenges how he chooses.

The player can move his troops on this screen:

6zrm38.jpg

If an attack occurs the game switches to the traditional RTS isometric view.

There are some nice touches like contaminated areas which can be cleaned by certain units.

As far as I know all buildings can be destroyed, bridges are also destructible.

Music and sound effects are good and so is most of the voice acting.

Graphics and art are extremely pretty in my opinion, but I am a sucker for 2D isometric visuals. Sadly the maximum supported resolution is 1600x1200 which results in black bars or a stretched image on current day 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellakgfYT0k[/youtube]

Some random screenshots I still had on my hard drive and gameplay video:

[spoiler:b63f6a66f2]

34hunb8.jpg

2a8ncqf.jpg

i6gk5e.jpg

9tg6jo.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcBk_nX3sEI[/youtube]

[/spoiler:b63f6a66f2]

That would be great fun to play a game that was a "Realistic" Apoc simulator... especially one focusing on character development.
However I dont think what you are looking for exists due to the fact there is such a niche market for games of that nature anyway, and to make one that realistic limits the market place even further.

If anyone finds something like that though. Id love to give it a go!

Back