Reddit's thoughts on Fallout 3

Do not use the users names, retards. Most of your lore arguments are just as retarded as theirs anyway.

Here's their review of FNV titled: Fallout New Vegas is a Bad Game and a Terrible Fallout Game.

"Fallout: New Vegas is seemingly a beloved game in the RPG genre, and is often considered to be the "best Fallout game". I beg to differ.

Fallout: New Vegas, to me, is a bad game mechanically and in its writing and is a terrible Fallout game in its lore, world, and more.

Starting off, the game mechanics. Mechanically, Fallout: New Vegas is just awful, somehow breaking things that worked in Fallout 3 such as music cues. A whole list can be found on the internet. It also lacks consequences which I personally find ironic. When you clear the ants of Ivanpah Lake next to the Mojave Outpost, nothing changes. And in fact, the ants respawn. The point of clearing out the ants was to open up the road again for traders, but nothing happens. This isn't just an exception, as clearing Nelson doesn't change anything, helping Jas get a deathclaw egg also doesn't change anything. She stays in her small shack despite saying she would head to New Vegas. The monorail breaking doesn't change NCR troop count on the Strip and NCR don't go through Freeside instead due to no working monorail. The list goes on and on. And people praise New Vegas for having iron sights when you aim, but the iron sights are just a placebo effect.

Next, the writing. The story itself fails at writing 101 when it comes to reasoning. The first act is fine enough, it could be slightly better, but overall the first act is fine. Find the man who attacked you and robbed you. The issue comes from the second act, which is where you get involved in a political climate that's currently present in the Mojave. The concern is this: you don't care. The Courier has no reason to care. The war doesn't affect the Courier, they don't live in the Mojave, they aren't from the Mojave. They can literally just leave (and do many times in the DLCs). So the main quest forces you to get involved in the political climate just because, no reason at all. And you can't even decline (going the independent route is still involving yourself in the war). The worst thing about this, is that the premise for the actual meat of the story is only said later on (about three hours in) and by that time, if you're anything like me, you've made your character. Well, my character wants to avoid conflicts. But that's not part of the main quest, so I now have to rewrite my character to make up a reason for them to do the main quest (or I can just make them go out of character). People complain about Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 "forcing a background on you", but at least I don't have to rewrite my character or go out of character for the main quest (not to mention Fallout 1 and 2 also gives you a background...and so does New Vegas).

There's a lot more I can go into with the writing, such as the factions being incompetent or dumb (or both) beyond belief or the preposterous amount of inconsistencies, but there is a character limit for posts.

Onto the reasons why Fallout: New Vegas is a terrible Fallout game, I'll explain. The world isn't Fallout. You can take away the robots and (maybe the Brotherhood of Steel) and it is a different game. The world doesn't look like Fallout, it's a bland, empty desert. Nothing was seemingly built in the 132 years from the main date of the divergence (1945) to 2077, the year the bombs fell. It doesn't even have much of a retrofuturism tone that even Fallout 1 had. It's a western aesthetic that just doesn't fit Fallout, or at the very least, doesn't have a Fallout spin on things.

Then the lore, I don't even get this. People seem to have this notion that because the people at Obsidian at the time made Fallout 1 and 2, they know the lore or respect it. Well, no. In my opinion, the people who made Fallout 2 didn't have respect for their own creation, and we can see that in the other games: Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Fallout Extreme, and Van Buren. I don't believe the original creators have respect for their own creation except for three people. I also don't believe that simply being the original creator makes you better than someone else. Let's get into this.

In Fallout: New Vegas, we're told/shown these things: Mr. Handies are Robco owned and made, the Great War occurred in the evening, the PIP-Boy 3000a being easily removed, and more. These are all false, except for one, jet. Mr. Handies were owned and created by General Atomics International, they have never been created or owned by Robco. The Great War fell in the morning, at 9:47 AM to be specific, on the west coast, it would've been 6:47 AM. That's the morning. The PIP-Boy 3000a is stated in Fallout 3 to be biometrically sealed, yet Mick and Ralph can easily replace it with the "PIMP-Boy 3 Billion". There are, again, a lot more inconsistencies. But these are the ones that are fresh in my head at the time of writing. This isn't the sign of the original creators "knowing the lore", in fact I personally see this as them simply not caring.

Overall, I find Fallout: New Vegas to be the worst canonical Fallout game. Somehow surpassing Fallout 2. I think Obsidian didn't have respect for the Fallout franchise, I think the original creators have no respect for their own creation (except three people). I also don't get the praise for it. This post isn't even touching the DLCs, but they're bad as well."
Keep them coming without there username and stuff of course this is gold. To fire back here i am gonna say a few things, How much did Bethesda butcher the lore with the brotherhood being on the east coast and the enclave as well hmm. let's not forget the whole situation with jet. How about the absolute massacre of super mutants that where created by the master originally and how there are just now just big green monsters you get to shoot etc.

Keep them coming without there username and stuff of course this is gold. To fire back here i am gonna say a few things, How much did Bethesda butcher the lore with the brotherhood being on the east coast and the enclave as well hmm. let's not forget the whole situation with jet. How about the absolute massacre of super mutants that where created by the master originally and how there are just now just big green monsters you get to shoot etc.
My favourite lore butcher is how Bethesda has a ghoul kid stuck in a fridge for 210 years with no food or water with the implication that ghouls don’t need either. This is in direct conflict with a major plot point in Fallout 1 where if you steal the water chip without fixing their other source of water, they all die of dehydration. Meanwhile, also in Fallout 4, your ghoul settlers need food and water.

My favourite lore butcher is how Bethesda has a ghoul kid stuck in a fridge for 210 years with no food or water with the implication that ghouls don’t need either. This is in direct conflict with a major plot point in Fallout 1 where if you steal the water chip without fixing their other source of water, they all die of dehydration. Meanwhile, also in Fallout 4, your ghoul settlers need food and water.
Oh dear lord i had forgot about that. :???: Bethesda's thinking is so ass backwards in terms of the lore for fallout it hurts.

Last edited:
Alas... Fallout 2 did this also, and (while I doubt it) it is not impossible that Bethesda just straight up copied Fallout 2 for this.

Alas... Fallout 2 did this also, and (while I doubt it) it is not impossible that Bethesda just straight up copied Fallout 2 for this.

Very likely there where beats that were stolen from other fallout games by Bethesda. Look at the similarity to fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4's factions. Todd Howard looked at that idea and was like "hmm yes that is original we shall use it for are twisted shallow story." Not only that but another lore issue was in 76 with the BOS being in West Virginia. That one hurt a lot for me in that case then again 76 is a massive mess...

I’m fairly certain all the goofy quests in Fallout 3 are due to Fallout 2. As much as I love Fallout 2, it had some pretty out there shit (looking at you talking deathclaws).

I am real tired of people acting like Fallout 3 was bad due to lore when it was just a bad RPG. All that lore shit is just there for you to obsess over and get nutthurt when 20 years from now the new owner says "nah did not happen" or whatever.

IDfrhTi9LsE.jpg

I am real tired of people acting like Fallout 3 was bad due to lore when it was just a bad RPG. All that lore shit is just there for you to obsess over and get nutthurt when 20 years from now the new owner says "nah did not happen" or whatever.
I think people get pretty 'tist rage over lore and it's really I don't know, missing the forest for the trees I guess? If the writing is shit I really don't care that the "lore" is consistent or whatever. Likewise if the game doesnt exactly follow the exact same established lore as a previous entry but still overall tells a good story I don't really care. The tone and themes etc are much more important than like what type of armor existed pre war or whatever.

I have never raged harder playing a Fallout game than going up against the Ghost People with the Realistic Weapon Damage mod installed.
On my modded LP it was the toughest part of the game for sure.

I think people get pretty 'tist rage over lore and it's really I don't know, missing the forest for the trees I guess? If the writing is shit I really don't care that the "lore" is consistent or whatever. Likewise if the game doesnt exactly follow the exact same established lore as a previous entry but still overall tells a good story I don't really care. The tone and themes etc are much more important than like what type of armor existed pre war or whatever.

I mean I get it. I once got like that. Then I found out my blood pressure was getting raised by meaningless bullshit. What really matters in the end to me is if I can enjoy the game not how true to the lore it is. Because Fallout lore is gay and boring mostly. I need C&C that truly matters and Beth games do not do that and you cannot mod that in. I need to see some skill checks more than once or twice the entire game. If someone says dumb shit in the game i can always just kill them.

People whined about BoS in F4 when they were the best Fallout thing in the game. Then again maybe I just like Tactics airships.

On my modded LP it was the toughest part of the game for sure.

I mean I get it. I once got like that. Then I found out my blood pressure was getting raised by meaningless bullshit. What really matters in the end to me is if I can enjoy the game not how true to the lore it is. Because Fallout lore is gay and boring mostly. I need C&C that truly matters and Beth games do not do that and you cannot mod that in. I need to see some skill checks more than once or twice the entire game. If someone says dumb shit in the game i can always just kill them.

People whined about BoS in F4 when they were the best Fallout thing in the game. Then again maybe I just like Tactics airships.
You can tell the BOS were the best part of the game because FO3 fans were whining that they were fascist.

" He who argueth over trivial matters shall never enter the sphincter of hebben " Book of Jezebel : 36 : 26 , 36.

Back