Retro City Rampage

I_eat_supermutants

Vault Senior Citizen
It's been talked about quite a bit and has had some struggle getting released but is anyone excited about this one?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dte8PRl1tI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUN6932Z1Y[/youtube]

Personally I'm pretty stoked. I've watched gameplay videos and laughed pretty hard at some of the references. This was the thing I dreamed about as a kid when I was playing my NES. Didn't get anything like it till games like GTA and Carmageddon.

So is anyone else on this site excited for it?
Also indie developers rock.

heh that looks amazing. Oddly, I only just found out about retro demakes yesterday with Soundless Mountain II, a NES port of Silent Hill 2.
silent_boxart.png

soundless-mountain-2.jpg

Maybe if these type of games get really popular big name publishers will make tons of these instead of generic modern warfare FPS # 350823487.

Haha that does look great. I wasn't even aware of that. I'm gonna look that up now. Demakes are great for the "what if" factor.

The best part about these is just the fact that they cram so much content into these thing.

Retro City Rampage has a ton to offer.
50 story missions, open world mode, oodles of pop culture references. Hell in a one minute long video you can spot 30 or so easter eggs and jokes throughout. Even more so if you watched the live stream of the game.

Even graphically he's stuffed several interfaces and skin modes (game boy, virtual boy, commodore 64, arcade cabinet) for your own nostalgic preference. I'm a personal fan of the UHF skin wich I'll be using.

Plus there are even bonus games featuring other indie titles like 8-bit 'Slosion Man, Super Meat Boy and bit.trip runner. The Super Meat Boy one in particular is funny because of the virtual boy reference and even has a blue and red 3-d mode as an added joke.

This is a love letter to all the retro fans out there. The best part being that you can get it on 360, PS3, Wii, PSVita, Steam or a non-DRM version from their site. So no one's left out. Simultaneous launch on all platforms.

Skyrocketing cost of making games be damned. We 'ave been sitting on gold this entire time.

You can also get the non-DRM version from GoG.

Does look very good, shame it's had such a hard time actually getting released.

Well it came out today for PC PS3/Vita.
I'll post more later as it is sucking me in and it is alot of fun.

To report it is great, makes me laugh and controls well. Gotta love it. Again. Post more thoughts later but damn it was worth the $15.

I have been looking forward to this for awhile now. I'm going to try it out ASAP. Retro games are the way to go.

TMNT, Bionic Commando, Mario, Contra, Smash TV and others all crammed into one 8 bit slew of awesome? Where have you been all my life? (Except the TMNT sewer level with the bombs and seaweed... fuck that stage).

I hadn't heard of this until now.

I've been on an indie kick for quite some time now (really getting burned out on AAA games as of late) and this is going to eat up a lot of my free time I fear.

Wow that looks fucking GREAT!
I cant wait to check that one out...

Also... Soundless Mountain from Silent Hill...
That took a second to set in... but when it did... I lol'd and now need to get new pants...

rcorporon said:
I've been on an indie kick for quite some time now (really getting burned out on AAA games as of late) and this is going to eat up a lot of my free time I fear.

If you want another good indie game, there's Hotline Miami coming out real soon on Steam. It's like $10 but 10% off ( :lol: ) right now if you pre-order it or whatever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95pObp931Vk[/youtube]

I accidently ran over Jesus and Abraham Lincoln. Best game ever! That didn't sound right...

The game itself, taken at a level of nostalgia. is fucking great. An old school junkie such as myself looks at it as fucking amazing. I get a boner playing it. A childhood boner if you will.

The controls are a tad iffy on pc but can be totally replaced by your preference. I use a ps3 controller myself. The game continues to make me laugh at nostalgic goodness. While there are a few bug issues it does have something for everyone. The dam level is a good throwback to people whom have played the original Turtles nes game for example, while poking fun at it's difficulty.

Levels of nostalgic awesome are everywhere. I can say though, that you infact will have to be an old school junkie to get most if not all of that is which going on. If you didn't like 80's/90's T.V., Movies, games and don't like GTA sandbox games, do pass. For me though all of it comes through as solid gold and is a memorable for all time.

Most control types seem precise and good. The music is absolutely AWESOME in the 80's/90'a bit music is a great feature (homaging many great games), and perfect for a nostalgic feel.

I still stand by the fact that it is worth the $15. If you're younger folk, do try it to see what us old fogies are talking about, and maybe look up the references yourself to see what the hubbub is all about and if you are ages 21 to 35 do get. It's worth the laugh.

7.9/10. Do approve.

I got all of that just by playing the DEMO. But it has more than just full nostalgia, it also has plenty of rather recent references, as well. For example, the leader of the heist, The Jester, introducing himself to his hostages with "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! ..." or the police chief's name, O'Farva. The game goes out of its way to highlight every time it makes a reference, too. So, while some words or names in bold may SEEM like being totally comic-book-style reference (and it is, again: SO MUCH NOSTALGIA!!!!) it's also the game winking at you and saying "THIS is the joke!"

The game is nothing short of a masterpiece!

Back