Reverse engineering Fallout 2

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I've released Community Edition v1.0.0 which is available for all major platforms - Windows, Linux, and macOS. In case we didn't break up things while porting to x64, vanilla game works from top to bottom. Up next is integrating Sfall and making sure it's compatible with RP, Nevada, and Sonora.

https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout2-ce
Wow this is big!

https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout2-ce/releases/tag/v1.2.0

January 2023 (version 1.2)

Welcome to the January 2023 release of Fallout 2 Community Edition. There are many updates in this version, here are some key highlights:

• Improved rendering - Significant boost to performance on large resolutions (and battery life on mobile devices). See #165 for tech notes.
  • iOS support - Yes, Fallout 2 can be finally run on iOS (albeit not hassle free, see readme for installation instructions). The controls are far from being perfect, but at least it runs smoothly both on iPhone and iPad (#167).
  • Worldmap Improvements - A couple of enhancements that makes worldmap more visually appealing.
  • Combat and AI - Some fixes to expected combat stuff and improvements to AI.
Sfall
Despite the integration of Sfall being a top priority, there is not much progress here.

@sonilyan implemented support for wide interface bar (#188). Together with side panels (fa058f2) you can enjoy familiar Sfall look in CE. One thing to note is that appropriate art should be unpacked and stored in your data directory. I'm sure many of you don't understand what that means, just hold your breath for next release.

Notable improvements:

• Stretchable splash screen (8a4ce6c)
  • Game mode tracking (dc90beb)
  • Custom message lists support (fe9ba91)
  • Dialog options numbering (897ff2b)
  • Some scripting functions (tracked in #200)
Worldmap Improvements
One of the coolest update and my personal favorite for this release - fade in/out animation when using worldmap (cc1562b).

Notable improvements:

• Added shadow to city labels (248d6df)
  • Fixed car disappearing after using town map (e02dcdf)
  • Fixed special encounter blinking icon (95cc863)
  • Fixed worldmap position calculation (3ec827d)
  • Fixed some visual artifacts (9976728, b5701fb)
Combat and AI
@drjfaust fixed several combat bugs with #204 which were unnoticed since Reference Edition. With ad38607 wandering NPCs will no longer ignore player and will join the fight on sight.

There is an improvement to "Whomever is attacking me" party member behaviour (3425926). The party members will no longer switch targets randomly (especially in big fights). Instead they will try to keep fire on their initial target as long as this target keeps attacking dude.

In addition to this, there are changes to how AI is using drugs (0e11569). It includes Sfall fixes and improvements and adds some randomization to the picking process. Instead of using first available drug (according to internal order of items in inventory), we group drugs into buckets (primary desires and everything else) and randomly pick from one of the buckets.

Mods
Some improvements and fixes have been made to run Nevada and Sonora. These mods (at least their original versions) do not require Sfall, but have unexpected scripting style, which resulted in several crashes. Please open up an issue if you've completed either Nevada or Sonora.

There is a separate list for tracking progress towards Olympus support (#200). Most of unimplemented functions are used in unnecessary global scripts like party controls, so it's likely playable.

Some examples of errors discovered and fixed:

• Fixed testing pointers for nulls (ad9b858)
  • Fixed ini section parsing (a70912d)
  • Fixed color setters (01f264e)
  • Fixed selecting scripted windows (9c6daa4)
  • Fixed setting scripted button handlers (8ee0f47)
  • Fixed storing pointers in global variables (6c03e4e)
Android
@sonilyan identified one of the memory alignment issues (#187). This kind of bugs usually lead to crashes, but totally compiler/environment/processor dependent. This explains why the game crashed on some Android devices.

Eventually more undefined behaviours were found, the last one was fixed with 2714dc1. Thanks to @APAmk2 for promptly confirming this issue is finally resolved.

#206 added support for on-screen keyboard.

Other
There are over a hundred of other fixes and improvements which can be found here. Thanks everyone for your contributions to Fallout 2 Community Edition.

GitHub blocked without reason @alexbatalov account and archived all the repositories including fallout2-ce and fallout1-ce. And this does not looks like DMCA termination, usually in the DMCA case claimed repositories became unavailable at all, not just archived. And I see no same issues with other fallout projects on GitHub. I've asked Alex and he does not archived repositories and didn't terminated project himself.

Apparently the reason are sanctions against some russian companies, and he works for one of them.

I dunno, but mass censorship because your country is secretly at war with another country sure isn't a good look.
Feels a bit like living in China I guess...so I can understand why people would consider it a bit like fascism.

It sucks that he was affected by the sanctions, but I wouldn't take that as a sign the sanctions are inherently bad. Hopefully the files have been backed up by him and other people, and can be uploaded elsewhere.

I dunno, but mass censorship because your country is secretly at war with another country sure isn't a good look.
Feels a bit like living in China I guess...so I can understand why people would consider it a bit like fascism.
This is not censorship either....

It sucks that he was affected by the sanctions, but I wouldn't take that as a sign the sanctions are inherently bad. Hopefully the files have been backed up by him and other people, and can be uploaded elsewhere.
The repositories are archived. Everyone can still look at them and download them. Nothing is hidden or censored.

This is not censorship either....

The repositories are archived. Everyone can still look at them and download them. Nothing is hidden or censored.
not being allowed to say anything new...is still censorship, even if all the old stuff is still up (see Trump).
and it seems like he's not allowed to make anything new on github...am I wrong in this assumption?

not being allowed to say anything new...is still censorship, even if all the old stuff is still up (see Trump).
and it seems like he's not allowed to make anything new on github...am I wrong in this assumption?
wtf are you talking about. Trump is not censored in any kind of way. He keeps spewing his bullshit ever since and nobody is silencing him and his tiresome goons.

@QuantumApprentice @Lexx

depending on the way You look at it Ban is a form of restriction to free speech ones say it's a deserved punishment for inapropriate actions others say it's a unjustified restriction..

The problem is ( or rather was) the fact that twatter's (and not only they) cultural norms went left so hard that they've reachced under the sidewalk level of acceptance and morality. so Trump's PoV was actually unaccepted by the majority of mass media inhabitants ( them beeing far left and having natural spasmatic allergy to whatever a medium level rightwinger/centrist does). However If i remember correctly, Musk after buying out twatter did unban trump right? So Trump is no longer beeing opressed in that matter.. or was it fake news?
the fact that he now faces criminal financial charges is another side of this story. ( Although to what it seems Trump did made a *mistake* and broke the American Law, at least that's what liberal left media claim. though the evidence might be fabricated or the whole story could just be gigantic fake news). after what happened with the 4Chan AI missuse I won't trust anything that was said in any news until I'll find out for myself from other sources, or if i actually was there when something happened.

Trump doesn't want to go back to Twitter. Besides, it doesn't matter - freedom of speech doesn't mean you are forced to listen to the bullshit of every single person. Trump and Co. can still use any other social network service if they want to (which they are doing with Truth social or whatever the fuck that is). Trump was never oppressed, saying that is laughable.

Since certain russian companies are sanctioned, Github has to bend the knee and follow the law. That's all there is to it.

Trump doesn't want to go back to Twitter. Besides, it doesn't matter - freedom of speech doesn't mean you are forced to listen to the bullshit of every single person. Trump and Co. can still use any other social network service if they want to (which they are doing with Truth social or whatever the fuck that is). Trump was never oppressed, saying that is laughable.

Since certain russian companies are sanctioned, Github has to bend the knee and follow the law. That's all there is to it.

And if the admins here at NMA suddenly banned you right as you released your Et Tu mod, cuz "reasons," would you:

A) Say to yourself thankggod that wasn't real censorship. No real fascism exist on an online forums, itwould be laughable! Golly gee they be archiving my work shit anyway! Life is good.
B) Flip your shit realizing you are being censored over non-sense, and the whole thing about other sites existing is clearly a cope. You cannot be made whole, life is bad.

Back