Reverse engineering Fallout 2

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by alexbatalov, May 4, 2022.

1. alexbatalov

alexbatalov First time out of the vault

May 4, 2022

• [Rad] [Rad] x 11
  2. Keyboard Gecko

Keyboard Gecko Fallout: Nevada translation is updated.

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh wow. Great job, Alex!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. Black Angel

Black Angel Grand Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

Mar 21, 2016
    Holy. Fuck.

I have a question now, and everyone who's savvy about the inner workings of the engine are more than welcome to answer: there were leftover functions from Fallout 1 in the engine iteration of Fallout 2 as I read it. I'd assume one of those were the "Ask a Question" features of Fallout 1. What I want to know is, if it's going to be possible to restore those functionality for Fallout 2 engine and not have it crash, through reverse engineering? I'm not asking to have it apply to Fallout 2 in particular, but I'd imagine modders could have another option for if they're going to make another total conversion mods for the game. Imagine being able to "Ask a Question" in Fallout of Nevada, for example...

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    We already restored TMA via script for ettu. It is easy to adapt for vanilla Fo2.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  5. Goat_Boy

Goat_Boy It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 18, 2021
    Sorry for my ignorance but would this mean that you could create a new engine?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. Radegast

Radegast First time out of the vault

Jan 14, 2013
    Yes! From what Alexander wrote he wants to take a similar approach as the Devilution project which is a reverse-engineered engine of Diablo 1. They also recreated the original engine with all its bugs and limitations. When that was done a new spin-off project called DevilutionX was created which added multiplatform support, widescreen, tons of bug fixes, etc. I haven't been this excited since I found out about Falltergeist. Unfortunately, much like the Falltergeist project, this is a one-man show so if Alexander gets bored we are screwed.

@alexbatalov would you consider writing a follow-up article about your process of disassembling the binary in IDA, conversion to C, and figuring out where the functions belong? I thought the only reason reverse engineering of Diablo 1 was even humanly possible was because of the leaked debug symbols and as far as I can tell there is nothing like that for Fallout 1/2.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  7. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The official mapper and the mac version has readable debug stuff.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  8. Oracle

Oracle Vault Senior Citizen

May 19, 2003
    Good luck with this endeavor! Hope it will be able to get to completion!
    Not newspage worthy btw? @Proletären

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  9. QuantumApprentice

QuantumApprentice Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Feb 9, 2018
    I basically just read off the article and tried to give a little insight to the "lost" source code

• [Rad] [Rad] x 6
  10. Proletären

Proletären Vault Fossil
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  11. Lindstroem

Lindstroem First time out of the vault

May 1, 2022
    Wow amazing work and gives me the tinglies for what can be done with this! Will follow closely!!

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1