Safety demonstration done Right!

Starseeker

Vault Senior Citizen
You know, if you fly a lot, do you still look at safety demonstrations provided by the cabin crew any more? But isn't it important information that you need in order to save your life? Therefore, to alleviate bordem and get people to pay attention, some airlines have invented new ways to deal with the problem.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh8e2KYIrU&feature=player_embedded#at=24[/youtube]

Ah, the joy of travel.

Starseeker said:
Ah, the joy of travel.

More like hell. I hate that music and would probably miss out on the "imporant" information due to my ears being plugged in by my fingers.

Imagine that this is someone's first flight, they know none of the safety instructions, they're terrified of flying and claustrophobic... Then this bunch of RedBull tweakers runs out, performing a dance of version "What to do when you're plummeting to certain death" :|

Oh the joy of flying.

Aaahhh, the joy of hiring useless good-looking, and now, dancing hostesses, making the price of the ticket rise and people like me angry not being able to fly cheaply....

One day, easyjet will take over the world. Till that day, I'll refrain my urges to fly away...

Man, you know what happens when you plane decides to go from 30000 ft to sealevel? You die. Most floatation devices are just there to make it easier to ID bodies. Safety belts on airplanes are a fucking joke.

Safety belts on airplanes are a fucking joke.

Your understanding is 'a fucking joke'. You know what happens to people that don't fasten their seatbelts when an aircraft encounters heavy turbulence? They smack their heads on the plane's ceiling. Hard. I've seen it happen. And sometimes, people fracture their skulls or crush their necks in that way.

That's what seatbelts in airplanes are for.

Well, that and also to help sort out the bodies when investigating the wreckage. Can't have dead people flying all over the cabin now, can we?

What gets me is that they show you how to fasten your life jacket and blow the fucking whistle, even if you're not flying over any water.

Well, that and also to help sort out the bodies when investigating the wreckage. Can't have dead people flying all over the cabin now, can we?

Don't be silly. If an aircraft crashes, you rarely have 'bodies'. A seatbelt or a flotation device won't magically protect your body from being dismembered, pulverized or burnt. Not to mention "all over the cabin". The 'body recognition' theory is ridiculous.

The Jackal said:

Don't be silly. If an aircraft crashes, you rarely have 'bodies'. A seatbelt or a flotation device won't magically protect your body from being dismembered, pulverized or burnt. Not to mention "all over the cabin". The 'body recognition' theory is ridiculous.

Yes and no. Flotation devices are there in case of a minute chance that the passenger actually survives landing on water and then makes it out of the fuselage in time before it sinks. Even then there's a good chance they'll make a mistake of inflating the device before leaving the plane and get stuck and drown because the buoyancy will prevent them from evacuating.

The "no" bit concerns your claim that aircraft crashes don't leave bodies. They do.

God I hate flying.

There are some situations in which a seatbelt can prove useful

B737-200-Aloha-Hawaii.jpg

Aloha+Flight+243+with+narrative.JPG
[/b]

Those guys made it by the skin of their teeth. It's a bona fide miracle the front of the plane didn't break off at some point.

Done right? I'd have fought my way to an exit, grabbed a parachute and jumped.

Also, the above picture is of a alu fatigue. The funny thing is that the airline was fully aware that the thing was full of hairline fractures. :)

The "no" bit concerns your claim that aircraft crashes don't leave bodies. They do.

Read carefully, my claim was the remains are rarely intact or if you want... whole, solid enough to be brought to the surface by flotation devices.

SuAside said:
Done right? I'd have fought my way to an exit, grabbed a parachute and jumped.

Also, the above picture is of a alu fatigue. The funny thing is that the airline was fully aware that the thing was full of hairline fractures. :)

Well, however, there is a funny alternate theory.

At the time of the decompression, the chief flight attendant, Clarabelle "C.B." Lansing, was standing at seat row 5 collecting drink cups from passengers. According to passengers' accounts, Lansing was blown through a hole in the side of the airplane by the greater air pressure remaining in the cabin.

Pressure vessel engineer Matt Austin has proposed an alternate hypothesis to explain the disintegration of the fuselage of Flight 243.[4][5] This explanation postulates that initially the fuselage failed as intended and opened a 10" square vent. As the cabin air escaped at over 700 mph, flight attendant C.B. Lansing became wedged in the vent instead of being immediately thrown clear of the aircraft. The blockage would have immediately created a pressure spike in the escaping air, a fluid hammer, which tore the jet apart. The NTSB recognizes this hypothesis, but the board does not share the conclusion and maintains its original finding that the fuselage failed at multiple points at once. Former NTSB investigator Brian Richardson, who led the NTSB study of Flight 243, believes the fluid hammer explanation deserves further study.[5]

But I don't mean to undermine the fact the plane was too old. It surely was. I just find the theory that someone got caught in the hole and hence the plane blew up morbidly ... funny...

The Jackal said:

Read carefully, my claim was the remains are rarely intact or if you want... whole, solid enough to be brought to the surface by flotation devices.

I believe you said something along the lines of there are rarely "bodies". Thing is, a human body is pretty damn sturdy and while life may be extinguished fairly easily, complete destruction of the body itself doesn't happen as a rule.

There are other factors to consider of course, such as airspeed and angle of impact of the plane, and pulverization will happen in high speed collisions at near-perpendicular angle to whatever the jet crashes into (i.e. when deceleration is near-instantaneous), but again, this is not the rule for all (or most) crashes AFAIK.

He is most definitely wrong, no arguing that.

Back