Second demo of Ashes 2063 TC – A post-apocalyptic themed Doom total conversion has been released.

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Over at the Zdoom forums Vostyok has been working for a couple of years now on a story/mission driven Doom TC conversion called Ashes 2063, a mod that will take the player to a near future Earth that has been devastated by a nuclear holocaust.
Here the player has to eke out a living by going through the ruins of the old world, looking for useful things and sell-able scrap while avoiding or fighting various gangmembers, human mutants and mutant creatures who have staked claims in this devastated land.
4xIrPor.png

The story line:

Some time in the next century, governments and world leaders embarked on the greatest and most terrible war in our history. Although brief, what started as a local war of attrition soon raged out of control. The weapons the armies of that time wielded were incredibly powerful, reducing much of the planet to cinders. People, cities, even whole continents ceased to exist in a mere few hours.
Not content with a life of toil working the desiccated soil, or a short one fighting in the militia, you are a scavenger, junker, Stalker. The names are many, but the profession remains the same - searching the lost remnants of the old world for whatever valuables you can find. The people around you fear you for what you are and what you may someday bring back. You are a thief, a scoundrel. Without you, humanity would starve. But remember that the old world will not give up it's treasures easily. Bringing back something worth the risk is a miracle. Coming back alive is a success. Everything else is fate.”

As one can grasp from the storyline and the earlier description Ashes 2063 shares story elements and setting elements with post-apocalyptic computer games such as the Fallout games, the Wasteland games as well as the Stalker games.
Vostyok's project was also inspired by 80s PA media such as movies, books and comics from which Fallout and Wasteland also drew ideas and concepts for their settings.

naOPOxz.png

Gameplay wise it draws up on Doom and other 90s FPS games such as Strife and Duke Nukem 3D, but this is not just a “dumb” shooter and the player has to manage their resources such as ammunition, medical kits, and other equipment well while exploring the ruins of old factories, stores, motels, military bases, and what other locations the developer has in mind for the future for supplies and sell-able scrap.

TRxwBEG.png

Weapons range from various pistols, shotguns, pipe bombs, sub-machine guns, and weapons wasteland survivors have put together from various parts such as flame throwers.
Should ammunition run out the player can always rely on their trusty crowbar or boot knife in close quarter combat.

Assets such as NPCs and textures have been replaced to turn Doom into a PA wasteland, replacing zombie marines and demons with members from the Vultures gang, pit fiends, and mutated humans that are now called Cannibals. (the complete game will feature even more enemy types)

ItmgUsJ.png

Music and sound has also been replaced and Ashes features a couple of atmospheric tracks of its own to help set the mood, new sound effects, and voices for both the player character and NPCs that can talk.

0ezuFFX.png

Recently the second demo of this project-in-progress came out which includes both a tutorial level to make players familiar with the gameplay and setting and the first two levels of the first campaign which will help the player get started in the storyline that will run through this TC and is expanded upon between levels.

If you are interested in giving this demo a try, get yourself a copy of gzdoom and head over to the Ashes 2063 project page on zdoom forums: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47573

Vostyok is also looking for people to assist him with his project such as mappers, so if you are interested in helping him out you can contact him on the forum as well.

Just tried the demo and it's actually pretty good. Sadly only 2 maps, though. Also the voice acting is... sketchy, at best. Should hire some professional to make it really good.

I went through the whole 46 pages thread yesterday and what I've noticed is, that there's mostly talk about the weapons. In fact, there's such a huge focus on the weapons, that it gives me the feeling it'll take years till the final will be out. Especially if the demo represents the current state with its two maps, and the final is to have 8 or 9 or something... simple truth is, a huge collection of weapons is not as important right now as a finalized story and map layout would be.

That is sad to hear, that the issue of in game weapons takes such a precedence in the development of the project at this time.
Sadly there is not much we can do about it. I can only hope that the developer may consider putting that subject on hold for a moment and focus instead in the matters you suggested Lexx.

Well Vostyok was interested in any criticism I or anyone else has right now, I could send him a message about this subject.

Well, that's only what I am taking from the forum thread. The demo itself is pretty fun and the visuals look pretty solid. I've played it three times now, trying to find some of the secrets, etc. If it would be bad, I wouldn't bother much with it anymore.

Just a shame that it's probably still going to take years to get more of it.

At that rate I will finish my Fallout-esque mod before then.

Back