Shadowrun Returns vs Dragon Fall?

DehOtherGuy

First time out of the vault
So I started playing Shadowrun Returns and I'm enjoying it so far, but I've heard that Dragon Fall is an improvement in every way. In your opinions, how much better is it than Returns (if it is better), specifically in terms of stuff like gameplay, story, etc.?

Dragonfall is a massive improvement over Returns. In every way. They are both worth playing though. Very good games.

- Gameplay was improved from Dead Man Switch to Dragonfall, and a bit more with the Director's Cut.
- Maps are bigger and the missions features more choices. Some of them have more consequences than in DMS.
- The game is longer, with a longer main story and much more side missions that are totally unrelated with the main story.
- The stories of both games are enjoyable, but IMO, DMS story has a much much better beginning than DF, while DF story has a much much much better second part than DMS. In the end, i think DF story is better, but DMS introduction is still worth of praises. On the other hand, the side missions, while good, feel like you are losing sign of your main objective.
- The art & music are on par, but i prefer those in DMS. First impression i guess...
- Some combat missions are just EPIC in DF. Epic combats were rare in DMS.
- Even if DF feature more choices it is the same blueprint than DMS. They are improving the same formula with each new SR, instead of introducing gamechanging features. But if you liked DMS, you have low chances of being disapointed by DF.

Concur with everything said, I still feel like each game lacks a large amount of side content though, but I do appreciate the short stories so far. I'd probably buy a new episode every 6 months for a decade.

If you're unfamiliar with the universe, DMS is still worth it.

If you know what you're doing, it's probably okay to skip straight to DF. It basically has more of everything, except rails.

Got high hopes for Hong Kong.

I got both of these on GOG.com a little while ago. I recommend playing SRR first, but you should view it as a long tutorial for DF, which is in no way worse and in many ways better.

FWIW, DF gets a little too much praise, IMO. Despite the improvements over SRR it still gets very linear at the end and bogs down with combat. The final battle is fun though - more fun than the final battle in SRR.

It is one of the better games released recently in the genre though.

It is one of the better games released recently in the genre though.

Yes, I don't doubt that's true. I defintely liked it, even though I criticize it. I also plan on getting Hong Kong at some point.

I had never had any experience with Shadowrun before either, beyond seeing ads for it in Dragon Magazine back in the 80s and 90s.

The only Shadowrun game I ever played was the Shadowrun for the Super Nintendo. How well does the new Shadowrun game compare to it actually? IF someone here knows them both. I liked the SNES Shadowrun quite a lot.

If you like Shadowrun in any way you should play the new games. Simple as that.

Didn't play much of the original Shadowrun (although it seem good enough to make me want to some day), but it seems like Satellite Reign is much closer to the experience.

Shadowrun: Hongkong is out now! I'm gonna play and find out how it stands against the previous games

So far the introduction isn't warming me up to it. It's good, and I like the different approach to story, but not the writing in and of itself. Dragonfall started with a bang, that first mission was great. This one. . it starts off slow and doesn't grab my attention. Still going to keep playing, of course. But I'm actually itching to replay Dragonfall more now that I'm talking about it. .

So far the introduction isn't warming me up to it. It's good, and I like the different approach to story, but not the writing in and of itself. Dragonfall started with a bang, that first mission was great. This one. . it starts off slow and doesn't grab my attention. Still going to keep playing, of course. But I'm actually itching to replay Dragonfall more now that I'm talking about it. .
I just finished it. Starts slowish, but it works in the end.

It's also clear that the end has seen less testing I'm afraid. There's still some annoying (and obvious) bugs in there, but nothing major luckily.

Back