Should I Buy Fallout 2?

JayGrey said:
If you liked the first Fallout, you'll probibly like it. If you liked Fallout 3? You might not like either Fallout 1 or 2 . . . Fallout 2 does have quite a bit more to do, though.
i liked all of 'em, but i lost the discs and can't play it anymore! but atleast i have fallout 3! honestly, buy all of them, you won't be making the wrong Pick, buy them, in order, first 1 then 2 then tatics if you want, it's not super good, then 3, so you get a taste of all of them

Yes

However, I liked the original better. The story was better and had a lot less gags and topics catering to the teenage mind.

What F2 does succeed ind oing however is giving us a much bigger world, more of everything in general and certain improved mechanics.

If it's all about the story, and if you eventually want to gm your own fallout pnp game, it's good to be familiar with the timeline and locations. In my game, I intend to send the unfortunate victims from Seattle to a war-torn California. They're gonna hate me. But it's up to you and your preferences.

Good God yes, buy it as soon as possible. You can get the trilogy which I think is in stores. It has Fallout 1, 2 and tactics all on 1 DVD. Or you can look on ebay for the dual jewel case with Fallout 1 and 2 that was released in 2000 I believe. I would buy the trilogy or the dual case. It seems alot of people have problems with the trillogy. I keep my dual jewel case Fallouts on a setup like the Vault 13 suit complete with Indiana Jones like booby traps.

Yes, you should buy the whole trilogy. I personally like Fallout 2 more that the first one (even though I LOVE it, go figure) 'cause it just has more shit to do, has no time limit (at least not too big one) and the atmosphere is just...I have no words (New Reno, I have words)

Hamenaglar said:
NO! You should buy Fallout Trilogy!

Meh, can't say FOT is worth it.

However, FO2 is so cheap these days that it'd be silly to not buy it. Naturally, no reason to get it without playing 1 first.

I always felt that Fallout 1 was 50% too small. What I mean about too small – not enough locations, it needs bigger more detailed current locations, more obscure quests, etc. I’m tempted to reify it, but it will require some sweet scripting, interesting extra storylines and some delicious map improvements to do justice to this gem…the map and art side is covered, but the rest! As well it will require new proto types – for new items, tiles, walls, scenery, etc, and nobody seems to be able to fix the official mapper to accomplish this… :confused: (S.O.S - Timeslip - Nirran)

Honestly, I used to prefer Fallout 2 over the original Fallout (because of the sheer size of the game and how much stuff there is to do). But lately I've played through Fallout 1 more times than I've played through Fallout 2 and it's just a much better game in my opinion. The bad points do come down to how empty some of it is, it would be great if it had more stuff to do. The mechanics (when compared to Fallout 2) really suffer as well.

I can't wait for Wasteland Ghost's Fallout 1 Restoration Project, even if it will take forever.

It's a great game. It's got more to do than the original and was a great continuation of the Fallout series. No matter what I would buy it but watch a few youtube videos first to see if it's your type of thing.

verevoof said:
Get it. I too was first introduced to Fallout through Fallout 3, and I love the first games so much more than Fallout 3. And there was a time when I used to hate turn-based, but thanks to Fallout, I love it.

Fallout 1 and 2 are amazing, purchase them now! :D

Haha, almost same thing happened to me. I first played Fallout 3 because of it's badass looking, then I got interested in the first games, I hated turn-based. And yet, I liked more 1 and 2 than the third one. :D

And yes, Fallout 2 is awesome but TOO hard (I can't finish even in weakest difficult.) Anyway, you should buy it if you like turn-based games.

Enclave Trooper 647 said:
verevoof said:
Get it. I too was first introduced to Fallout through Fallout 3, and I love the first games so much more than Fallout 3. And there was a time when I used to hate turn-based, but thanks to Fallout, I love it.

Fallout 1 and 2 are amazing, purchase them now! :D

Haha, almost same thing happened to me. I first played Fallout 3 because of it's badass looking, then I got interested in the first games, I hated turn-based. And yet, I liked more 1 and 2 than the third one. :D

And yes, Fallout 2 is awesome but TOO hard (I can't finish even in weakest difficult.) Anyway, you should buy it if you like turn-based games.

You can't believe how fucking glad I am that someone else admitted that. I blame the bugs where my NPCs disappear at random (no, but seriously, where the fuck did Sulik go?) but really I fail hard. I could probably run around the map killing raiders for exp but I just want to fnish the main quest.. those goddamn people at Navarro are so tough :D

Anyway, on topic: Yes, fucking buy FO2! Fuck it, buy all the fallout games. I've heard BOS is a bit 'meh' and most people here hate on FO3 (personally I enjoyed it though), but you should at least get FO1 and FO2, maybe tactics although it is different. I enjoyed Fallout Tactics almost as much as FO2 though, so I'd definitely recommend it.

I honestly just got FO2, and to be honest it's great, I prefer FO3 because I absolotely hate isometric, but I love it anyway. And don't get annoyed at the first area, there's no where else like that in-game.

Off-Topic: I'm about half-way through FOT, is it open ended or does the game end when you finish the main mission?

Tactics finishes with the last mission.

Geting fallout 2 is a good idea indeed since you will meet me.But seriously imo F1 is way better then F2 but its still a great one.

Well you can pick up a disc with FO1, FO2 and FO: Tactics for £5, which is what i did, so there's no reason not to really, you could sell it one straight away and get your money back if you don;t like it.

Personally i love the game and would advise you to play it, but be aware, it's very very different from F3.

FO2 is gaming gold, FO3 pales in comparison I've not found a modern game that has gleaned as much playtime or respect and intrigue as FO2 has, I still go back and play it again and again, (especially with the restoration projects) there is just SO much more to FO2, and thankfully unlike modern games which 'ultra hard' means 'turn off bubble hints' in FO2, ultra hard means "holy fuck! i'm dead again!" :clap:

So if you enjoy challenge, more 'open choice' gaming and some level of real role-play experience then get Fallout 2. If you liked Fallout 3's gun happy combat fest, find any other FPS on the shelves.

Are fallouts 1 and 2 worth playing now?

I really enjoyed playing that game that I'm apparently not to mention here (sry if this is too much mentioning! i don't know where else to ask this question),

is it worth playing fallouts 1 & 2? I was really excited when i found out there were prequels, but the graphics seem pretty dated (their not even FPS??). also from what i can see there are more complicated and boring stats and stuff. OTOH I could do withsome more fallout action! are they as well written and atmospheric and so on?

Yes, (In-fact I've Just this very moment saved my FO1 game to come and poke around on the intertubes!!! I needed to look up a FO1 manual to check something...)

so..

yes.

yes, yes.

yes

<center>
edit/also; I feel the need to give this post/thread a liberal dose of:
Troll_spray.jpg
</center>

Back