Should I Buy Fallout 2?

Re: Are fallouts 1 and 2 worth playing now?

wasterlander said:
from what i can see there are more complicated and boring stats and stuff.
[Intelligence] So you think they are full of complicated stats and stuff?
---
Judging from this, they won't be worth playing for you.

Ali Legend said:
You can't believe how fucking glad I am that someone else admitted that. I blame the bugs where my NPCs disappear at random (no, but seriously, where the fuck did Sulik go?) but really I fail hard. I could probably run around the map killing raiders for exp but I just want to fnish the main quest.. those goddamn people at Navarro are so tough :D

You know you don't have to kill anyone at Navarro?

There is never a time in Fallout 1 or 2 where you need to run around on the worldmap and grind exp.

Puokki, i don't know why that's facepalm. I know their older games, and so they can't be expected to be as good, but i'm still interested in whether it's worth playing them.

EKSelenc - i prefer it when it simulates the game world properly without having to do it through stats - like aiming being your skill, rather than a number. more realistic that way.

everyone else - thanks. think i might get them!

wasterlander said:
Puokki, i don't know why that's facepalm. I know their older games, and so they can't be expected to be as good,

because these "older" games happen to be leaps and bounds better then Fallout 3 in just about every way.

EKSelenc - i prefer it when it simulates the game world properly without having to do it through stats - like aiming being your skill, rather than a number. more realistic that way.

Thing is, this is not an FPS, this is an RPG. Where your actions should depend on your character's skills, not yours.

I think this is an essential thing to remember, I for one am ALL about the stats when I play an RPG... otherwise, well it's just not interesting as a 'role-playing' game. Sure I enjoy FPS games, I enjoy 3rd person shooters as well, but they are a different part of my gamer. My role-playing gamer enjoys and actively encourages games of that ilk to be as stat driven as possible. Some RPG systems are WAY too much (much like the original MERP system) but the SPECIAL system is a godsend when it comes to modern / post-modern role playing, heck just the other day I was considering how I could work out the maths for Screaming/yelling and its audibility (based on STR + CHA + distance, offset by a PER check for the 'target' to hear it...but I digress)

The special system is PERFECT for gun combat and ideal for character interactivity on MANY levels, I would like to point out that using the PnP fallout that was released some years ago... I ran a VERY successful 'Vietnam' based RPG and even though none of the players knew of the SPECIAL system beforehand they picked it up quickly and it became second nature understanding the stat's and their effects by about the 3rd session of the role play (so about 5 or so hours of play)

I see NO valid reason to step away from SPECIAL driven game mechanics, and would like to see it MORE prevalent than 'twitch' gaming RPG. One of my biggest grumbles at FO3 was the fact that it was me the player that controlled combat action rather than my character.

Backing up Ausir's post, this isn't an FPS game, and I hope with all my gaming soul that we can get away from FPS style game-play and back to role playing. There simply hasn't been a Proper decent RPG in recent memory (I'll Iterate here that I'm talking of modern & post modern. There has been a slew of swords & sorcery RPG's)

So without any personal level of attack I ask that all those that are a part of the crowd that is encouraging FPS-RPG crossover's kindly shut the fuck up about ANY inclusion of FPS style mechanics and find an appropriate game franchise to go and fanboy drool over... leave the RPG's to those that enjoy them.

Back