Simcity(2012) crysis

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by woo1108, Mar 19, 2013.

1. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    I heard EA makes lots of problem with simcity.
    I wonder why this happening discussed in this forum :D .
    For me, not that a big problem. In fact it was great chance to get Dead space 3 for free. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, another noticeable thing is dismissal of EA's CEO.
    I don't know this would be bad thing or good thing though.

2. CthuluIsSpy

CthuluIsSpy A Smooth-Skin

Dec 20, 2011
    Crysis is set in Simcity?

Makes sense.

Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.

I say good riddance. They are a major company; a fuck-up this big should not go unpunished. Maybe now they will treat their customers decently and stop killing off IPs.

3. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I (kind of) appreciated what John tried to do for the company, that is, pull it away from crappy licensed games and putting more emphasis on original properties. Only thing is, EA are such a massive company and require such huge sales for things to even make a dent in their stocks that most of their "successful" titles recently actually did more harm than good. On top of that, I don't think he really knew what gamers wanted - this last few years EA have basically just been doing catch-up with whatever else is popular at the moment, making their own off-brand Call of Duty, God of War, Resident Evil, Gears of War etc.

While in some respects he was an incompetent buffoon, I think he was trying to push more creative games rather than endless sports titles and rushed movie tie-ins, and that's more than you can say about many other games industry executives.

The debacle that is SimCity 5 is more Maxis' fault and less the upper EA management's.

4. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    It's 2013, not 2012.

5. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    Oops.. my mistake
    :shock:
    Since I know very little things about EA, I was thought it was all EA's fault like other guys. But your opinion makes sense. some of guy said CEO of EA did his best for making good game. now I understand why they said it.

But it is surprise to maxis to make such stupid mistake.

6. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    Maxis troubles with SimCity has brought a lot of interesting information out about them.

I read that they made an active decision with Spore to dumb it down and bail on their goals with it for better sales. They figured they could aspire for less and make more money.

It's sad to see a company that once had such a strong reputation falter more and more.

7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    SimCity 4 happened 10 years ago. Spore was what, 6?

Maxis is not the same company it used to be. Most of the people who worked on SimCity 4 no longer work there. Most of the people who worked on Spore no longer work there, or even the original The Sims 3, for that matter.

Most of the lead designers and project directors have long since been replaced by people coming over from EA, so is it any surprise they are more concerned with sales and widening audiences than anything else?

In other words, you can't expect a company to put out the same games with the same vision and same quality over a long period, without knowing the same people are involved in all of them.

8. Akratus

Akratus Bleep bloop.

May 14, 2011
  9. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    You think so? While SimCity 2013 isn't a good game by any means from what I've heard, I doubt that the "DRM in disguise" was Maxis' idea. In fact one year ago they had stated that you would have needed online only to start playing.

A guy on NeoGaf proposed an interesting theory:

Who would call the shots in a case like that?

10. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Seriously, you can say a lot of things about development studios, but not that they replaced ~*rEaL ARtiSts*~ with corporate whores. Does the publisher dictate some elements? Yes, they do. Does that mean developers are more concerned with sales than developing the game?

Fuck no.

11. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Producers decide the direction of the project and oversee development. They are ultimately responsible for the shape a game takes. Doesn't matter if individual designers, artists, coders, etc. are of a different mind - they do their job as they're told or they lose it.

12. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Uh, no, that's the job of Project Directors and Lead Designers. I've yet to see tangible proof that EA is some sort of feudal kingdom, as you imply, sea.

13. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
    After what EA / Maxis did to one of my favourite franchises I'm rather happy that the end result of Sim City was an unmitigated shit storm.

I'll stick with Sim City 4 thanks.