So how come people at NMA don't want to make their own kinda Fallout spiritual successor?

There's a big line between 'want' and 'can'. Sure, I can probably slave over the current engines and GECK and churn out something...good practice, really...but I want to do something else.

The desire to make some Fallout-successor was the reason behind the PnP Project, but real life kinda got in between and I never managed to keep the pressure up.

The desire to make some Fallout-successor was the reason behind the PnP Project, but real life kinda got in between and I never managed to keep the pressure up.

Which is really the gist of it. REAL LIFE! I can't count how many times that thing has killed a modders plans. Boils down to real life being more important than video games.

If your project has politics in it I don't think it should be framed in the same way New Vegas did it.

Than my idea would probably not appeal to you because there is a clear political competition/cold war between the Lone Star Confederacy and the System over control of the Texas Wasteland with the Angels of the Apocalypse troubling both sides because they use advanced technology.

The real question is will @TheHouseAlwaysWins invest all of his daddies money into a bunch of random weirdos on the internet maybe making a barely working piece of shit?

The real question is will @TheHouseAlwaysWins invest all of his daddies money into a bunch of random weirdos on the internet maybe making a barely working piece of shit?

The reason people feel this way is they are so in love with Fallout that they think they are doing a service to humanity by slaving away for no money. At least I once did. In actuality one more derivative clone of a twenty plus year old vidgy game is ultimately not worth much. Free or otherwise.

Work for free in a soup kitchen.
Work for free by helping some old fuck mow his lawn.
Work for free by helping your Mama repaint her house.

Working for free on something that is supposed to be fun, will turn it into something not fun, so do some real good instead. Or get a job in the gaming industry.

These are just extensions of what I said before, but I urge any of you seeking to mod a twenty year old game....to not do that. Learn to script. Learn to work in a group on something small. Write a few NPC's for some shitty mod on Nexus or something better.

Whatever you do - don't try a full fledged mod or game your first time out. You will fail. Unless you are a masochist that loves pain and torment for nothing - just don't do it. Go write some fan fiction or something. Join a team already established like Mutants Rising. They need help badly.

This is why people mod Bethesda games. You can pump out a world location in a month.

BTW, this guy TorontRayne has some of the best mods for DOOM and other shit besides fallout so he knows what he's talking about.

The short of it is there is many many issues when it comes to non professional fan projects.

Actual studios indie and AAA have many issues getting most games made, a lot of games are cancelled and you either don't hear about them or you do.

Generally there's a reason most fan games or fan projects are never finished.

1. Over scoping, in layman terms it means shooting for more than you can accomplish with your resources, time, patience and etc.

2. Skill sets, im currently doing school to learn how to make games but doesn't mean everyone else here has any skills or is willing to learn any other skills besides writing (which everyone seems to think they are good at)

3. For free or for cash? Free passion projects are likely to take eons to make or just are never finished due to real life or boredom. If for cash, how are people payed? where does the money go? can we all trust each other? What do you gain if you finish the project? Because let me tell you, most people end up hating the games theyre working on after awhile (not literally but you do begin to feel that when you've play tested for the millionth time)

4. Making games are not easy, even some of the most simple projects can take weeks or months. Let alone a big fallout style project especially for a group of varying skill sets and skill levels. Theres a lot that goes into a games.

5. Why bother? Seriously though. The old fallouts and new vegas have tons of replayibility and content. This isnt even including many fan projects. Theres also plenty of good interesting games being made to be like old fallout. Wasteland 2 (and 3 pretty soon), ATOM, and Underrail.

No seriously, pay creators if you actually want something worth a damn.

NMA lacks artist skilled enough to create pink Lenin statue and Afro-European shemale critter animation, which is necessary for any NMA driven politically correct modification, LOL.

Back