So in the end, what was even the point of the Synths?

When you beat the game with BOS they present you with the synth version of your son. So I guess the sappy ending is a reason for synths to be there

Nevermind that you just consigned your real son to death and this one is considered an abomination by the BOS

Yeah it's funny how generic protagonist starts out all like "WHERES MY SON!!!" to "Meh the only point to this shitty narrative is now dead and I have as much emotion as a block of wood when that someone important to me dies". There just seems to be no point to the narrative in this main questline besides slaughtering all factions besides the one you hate the least and "Muh son!".

I don't get the point of synths myself though, the most sophisticated machines in the original games were like ZAX which was a huge ass supercomputer but now synths can just run around in human shaped bodies without any trouble. They should've just removed this silly out of place element.

Last edited:
They don't even play the parent-son dynamic all the way through, they give up right at the end of the first act and leave the player to think up on their own which of four interchangeable factions you want to side with in a small-scale raid that does not determine the fate of anything.

Fallout 4's entire main quest had the depth of one New Vegas side quest. Or one path of a Fallout 2 side quest. Consequences of focusing on settlements.

They don't even play the parent-son dynamic all the way through, they give up right at the end of the first act and leave the player to think up on their own which of four interchangeable factions you want to side with in a small-scale raid that does not determine the fate of anything.

Fallout 4's entire main quest had the depth of one New Vegas side quest. Or one path of a Fallout 2 side quest. Consequences of focusing on settlements.

To be honest, I keep hearing this reverence to Fallout 2 quests, such as the above example. Fallout 2 quests are not in any way deeper or better then the ones in Fallout New Vegas, in cases they are not even as good (though there are a few that are great). Fallout 2 quests are on the same level of New Vegas quests, with some being better and some worse.

The biggest downfall was the lack of a political structure and communities. Synths could have been applied in numerous ways with an actual society in the commonwealth. As soon as I heard the institute and synths were gonna be a thing, I assumed the Institute wouldn't be hidden and that they would be in the tallest skyscraper, consisting of the extremely rich 1 percenters. Middle class and mercs running around with cybernetic enhancements, with the regular common-folk alienating that kind of technology. That's just what I thought as a basis. That really kinda falls in the way of NV, but it wouldn't have been a rip-off by any means. Basically the institute needed to be involved with the society above with a intricate plan, like how House had. That would have meant there being a separate living world caught up in their own affairs, not mindless unorganized raiders and mutants neither. Conflict between 2 factions, like the legion vs ncr war with civilians caught in between, is a typical but great formula. All that with the institute and BOS thrown on top , writing in synths with purpose would have had a world of possibilities.

The institute has no real business with the empty-ass commonwealth, and that's why synths HAD to be escaping and leaving the institute.

To be honest, I keep hearing this reverence to Fallout 2 quests, such as the above example. Fallout 2 quests are not in any way deeper or better then the ones in Fallout New Vegas, in cases they are not even as good (though there are a few that are great). Fallout 2 quests are on the same level of New Vegas quests, with some being better and some worse.

But, for you, New Vegas quests were obviously better, because Caesar's Legion was in the game. :smug:

I kid, I kid. There were some Fallout 2 quests a little more complex than New Vegas quests, but I guess they are pretty much on similar levels. It's hard for me to compare because they're two completely seperate styles of game. Same genre, sure, but still.

But, for you, New Vegas quests were obviously better, because Caesar's Legion was in the game. :smug:

I kid, I kid. There were some Fallout 2 quests a little more complex than New Vegas quests, but I guess they are pretty much on similar levels. It's hard for me to compare because they're two completely seperate styles of game. Same genre, sure, but still.

Umm... >_>... maybe...

Yep, they're really on the same level. There were some complex New Vegas quests, as well as stupid ones. That goes for Fallout 2 as well.

Back