So what do people think of the characters?

Bud also denies that they need the money, and he doesn't ask for any. Vault-Tec's business model is based on the THREAT of a nuclear war. The government contracts are already paid. They don't get a payoff for starting the war. They're only doing this because Vault-Tec has some kind of dumbass ideological project they want to carry out.

I mean the whole point of the meeting is to ask for investment. You're taking Bud at face value while I'm absolutely taking him as lying his ass off. Just like when Cooper asks if the Vault suits protect against radiation and they do a couple of aside glances before saying yes.

If vault-tec didn't need the money, they wouldn't be asking anyone else to join in their enclave.

They do not ask for any investment. They offer the vaults in exchange for conspiring to start the Great War. Those are the facts. Period.

They do not ask for any investment. They offer the vaults in exchange for conspiring to start the Great War. Those are the facts. Period.

They're not talking about starting the Great War.

They only bring that up when they ask what happens if the war doesn't begin.

Man, only if The International Horse Buggy Corporation released the plague again they would have won Capitalism(which is now something you can win at).

I live in Appalachia, tobacco and mining country, the comical evil the companies have done in my backyard makes me happily accept they'd nuke the shit out of their own backyard if it helped them in the slightest way.

Appalachia is not their backyard, that's why the mining companies keep busting out dig sites and leaving locals to clean up the mess for generations to come. They don't give a shit. They've got mansions in northern Virginia and New England where all that mining money flows. You don't even recognize that you're an internal colony.

Appalachia is not their backyard, that's why the mining companies keep busting out dig sites and leaving locals to clean up the mess for generations to come. They don't give a shit. They've got mansions in northern Virginia and New England where all that mining money flows. You don't even recognize that you're an internal colony.

Dude, I lived in Lexington. There is a fucking CASTLE there.

Aerial-of-The-Kentucky-Castle_C54D6C7F-9203-7950-5E216264EAF80231-c54d66d0ac030bf_c54d7977-c9b9-e942-83d647fed8603d05.jpg

The super-rich country club set are the people I grew up among. I have pictures of my dad's George HW Bush meetings. My grandfather was a candidate for Lieutenant Governor.

Believe me, I know the rich asshole set of my state.

The shitty parts of the state are well away from the plantation and mansion parts. Really, they would love to get rid of those and kill the poor like it's Dishonored.

Yeah, like I said it's not their backyard. Their backyards are literally within the walled garden.

Some castle. I could assail that with 10 good men and a ladder. the citadel would fall before anybody cognified the happenings that were transpiring.

IMO the writers not understanding politics, history, or philosophy is what makes it so fascinating in the first place, and why I feel compelled to write a thesis on it. They made a show where liberal eugenicists are the bad guys, but also ghouls are a race of zombies now and 2 months of ghoul sentience translates to an entire human body's worth of organs. It's as if the show thinks the problem with eugenics is when it's carried out without consent, and it performs post-racism but does the most racist thing in the world by turning ghouls into an actual boogeyman - which is an ironic reflection of how super mutants in the Bethesda games are all submental orcs who eat raw organs and live in squalor.
The idea that ghoul organs could be sold to non-ghouls for a profit is so retarded. Getting an irradiated half-rotten transplant from a creature who, due to their scrambled genes, might not even technically count as a member of the human species anymore, is so stupid. Lucy should have died from sceptic shock within hours of having her new finger grafted on (which incidentally did not even have the nerve endings re-connected, it was just welded on to her wound with a laser).

Also - Why did Coop even need to sew on Lucy's finger? Thaddeus had a fucking hole in his neck heal instantly, why didn't Coop's finger grow back after a few days?

The idea that ghoul organs could be sold to non-ghouls for a profit is so retarded. Getting an irradiated half-rotten transplant from a creature who, due to their scrambled genes, might not even technically count as a member of the human species anymore, is so stupid. Lucy should have died from sceptic shock within hours of having her new finger grafted on (which incidentally did not even have the nerve endings re-connected, it was just welded on to her wound with a laser).

I wonder if the ghouls are being made into whatever serum keeps them sane. They clearly wanted Lucy's organs because she's healthy and fresh so the ghouls being tuned over were probably not there for the same reason. Plus, we don't know why Cooper ate the other guy.

Also - Why did Coop even need to sew on Lucy's finger? Thaddeus had a fucking hole in his neck heal instantly, why didn't Coop's finger grow back after a few days?

The finger transfer is obviously to make fun of game mechanics or did you not notice how ridiculous it was?

I wonder if the ghouls are being made into whatever serum keeps them sane. They clearly wanted Lucy's organs because she's healthy and fresh so the ghouls being tuned over were probably not there for the same reason. Plus, we don't know why Cooper ate the other guy.
Cooper at the other guy because he and Lucy were starving. Reasonable speculation on the serum, though.

The finger transfer is obviously to make fun of game mechanics or did you not notice how ridiculous it was?
But that's not a game mechanic. There was plenty of stuff in the show that was transparently referencing game mechanics (which I really did not care for by the by), but that does not read as one of them as all.

The idea that ghoul organs could be sold to non-ghouls for a profit is so retarded. Getting an irradiated half-rotten transplant from a creature who, due to their scrambled genes, might not even technically count as a member of the human species anymore, is so stupid.

There isn't any ghoul organ harvesting going on. Cooper tries selling Lucy's organs for two months' supply of vials. Which is ridiculous if you think about it because it means the market demands 6 human lives for a ghoul to stay sentient for one year, and if the vials are that precious then how are any of them able to live with Moldaver's crew or do whatever else it is they do in the wasteland? How is every ghoul not already a bandit or a loan shark, or any other kind of predatory occupation to get those vials?

e: I'm guessing you're talking about the ghouls in the cells? They never actually explained what's up with that, or why they're keeping ferals.

There isn't any ghoul organ harvesting going on. Cooper tries selling Lucy's organs for two months' supply of vials. Which is ridiculous if you think about it because it means the market demands 6 human lives for a ghoul to stay sentient for one year, and if the vials are that precious then how are any of them able to live with Moldaver's crew or do whatever else it is they do in the wasteland? How is every ghoul not already a bandit or a loan shark, or any other kind of predatory occupation to get those vials?

e: I'm guessing you're talking about the ghouls in the cells? They never actually explained what's up with that, or why they're keeping ferals.
Yes, I was referring to the ghouls in the cells. I assume, since the grafted finger was gray and shriveled, was that it was supposed to be a ghoul finger. My thinking was that since ghouls now have an almost-instantaneous healing factor that allows them to regrow a foot or a hole in their neck within a blink of an eye, that these ghouls were being "farmed" for cheap organs/transplants. Fresh organs from non-ghoulish wastelanders are valued more highly than cheap ghoul transplants, but rarer (and therefore mor expensive). I assumed that the vials were just something the organ harvesters had scavenged or purchased for re-sale.

It is possible that instead they only harvest organs off of normal people, and they're somehow producing serum from the captured ghouls for sale.

Yes, I was referring to the ghouls in the cells. I assume, since the grafted finger was gray and shriveled, was that it was supposed to be a ghoul finger. My thinking was that since ghouls now have an almost-instantaneous healing factor that allows them to regrow a foot or a hole in their neck within a blink of an eye, that these ghouls were being "farmed" for cheap organs/transplants. Fresh organs from non-ghoulish wastelanders are valued more highly than cheap ghoul transplants, but rarer (and therefore mor expensive). I assumed that the vials were just something the organ harvesters had scavenged or purchased for re-sale.

It is possible that instead they only harvest organs off of normal people, and they're somehow producing serum from the captured ghouls for sale.
I thought the finger was just dead and rotting. Nothing the soothing voice of Matt Berry and some laser welding can't fix, tho.
That whole scene was just for the laughs.
The captive ghouls and those vials, I don't know. Just random shit made up to give Cooper some random motivation. Pointless to the plot, could have been left out.

I thought the finger was just dead and rotting. Nothing the soothing voice of Matt Berry and some laser welding can't fix, tho.
Yeah could be that simple - though if it were dead and rotting (and not ghoulish), I guess that means the draw they were storing fingers in was un-refrigerated? I'm no expert, but it seems like an organ harvesting business that isn't refrigerating its transplants and is just leaving them out at room temperature isn't going to last very long as a business.

The whole thing would have made more sense if, rather than being a business ran by two guys, the Mr. Berry robot was just doing all of this by itself, its programming gone haywire (which is what I assumed before those two were introduced). Though you still have the problem of how it's acquiring serum.

This show is so devoid of logic, consistency, and quality that I get burned out trying to make sense of any of it. Discussing it for what it is feels like putting my brain in a lathe. I can justify Fallout 76’s atom shop more than I can justify this show, even if this was a separate “canon” from the games, which it isn’t. :wall:

I thought Cooper asked for something like 40 vials.

This show is so devoid of logic, consistency, and quality that I get burned out trying to make sense of any of it. Discussing it for what it is feels like putting my brain in a lathe. I can justify Fallout 76’s atom shop more than I can justify this show, even if this was a separate “canon” from the games, which it isn’t. :wall:

The show takes the attitude that science should work in a silly retrofuture way. It does it much more than Bethesda and more like the original two games.

Back