Spanish Train Crash

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Sub-Human, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oH_IjAxDwLo" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Almost 80 dead. Horrible stuff...

2. Makta

Makta The DICKtator

Jul 29, 2010
    There is more on the news in Sweden about this than anything els right now. Heck it is on the frontpage so i guess this must have been one of the worst train incidents in a long time.

3. Wumbology

Wumbology Actually a sentient CRT

Mar 5, 2013
    Something like this happened with a bus back in Mexico some time ago.

Real shame, just scary to think about.

4. Syphon

Syphon A Smooth-Skin

Jul 12, 2003
    preliminary talk is that the train was going too fast? bummer. Hell, that canadian train carrying oil was terrible too... damn near blew the whole town apart :/

5. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    The driver played too much Train Simulator 2013.

6. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Yeah, there isn't much to be said about this, other than how fucking tragic it is. Modern country, modern train, people with their own humble little plans for the day... And the age-old reminder than none of those people asked for this, it just hit them and now they're dead. Depressing.

7. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Usually modern high speed routes have devices that automatically trigger the brakes when a train is speeding. I wonder why that didn't work.

8. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Take it with a grain of salt, but apparently they went digging into the driver's Facebook history and he had several pictures where he intentionally made the train go to maximum speed for kicks. It may be what caused the accident; in a video I saw, the train was obviously going way too fast, allegedly twice as fast as normal. If it really is the case, I hope this scumbag rots in prison for the rest of his life. Do this kind of shit in your car and kill yourself. Don't endanger the life of hundreds with your stupidity.

it was probably an old model, what with the lack of speed governors.

9. ludisonmandela

ludisonmandela First time out of the vault

Jun 13, 2013
    someone said that he bragged about driving the train in 250 km/h
    and the limit for that part of the rail was 80

10. Syphon

Syphon A Smooth-Skin

Jul 12, 2003
    ^I know right. Straight aways is one thing but hitting a curve going that fast? They oughta kill the s.o.b. since he got his jolly knockers endangering innocent folks!

11. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Snug Rubber

Sep 11, 2010
    He can still hurt people with his car going that fast though, unless you're talking about a closed stretch, like a derelict airfield.

12. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Let the idiot drive off a cliff for all I care. He'll get his speed thrills for a few seconds and then no longer be a danger to anybody else. But yeah I guess getting into a car doesn't help much.

Then again, it may be a mechanical failure and I'm blaming the wrong guy. But hints so far do point at a human failure. At least the Lac-Mégantic (Canadian) tragedy was that, a tragedy; a mechanical failure of sorts that sent the train barreling into town and explode. The Spanish counterpart would simply be a complete idiot getting cheap kicks at the expense of the safety of hundreds. I hope they review their hiring policy.

13. ludisonmandela

ludisonmandela First time out of the vault

Jun 13, 2013
    take this with a grain of salt but i think someone told me he survived and just ran away from the accident

it took up all the news attention in sweden and i rarely watch the news