Steam summer sales

Got Tomb Raider (which kinda sucked) and Dishonored (which kinda ruled).

I guess I'm gonna hold out for the BANK I'm gonna make once The International 2014 is through, and use the absurd amount of free money to bankroll my selection during the Holiday Sales in 6 months. =) I grabbed The Wolf Among Us because I'd heard enough good about it, and I recognized that it was from Telltale Games, the developers who brought us the magnificent The Walking Dead game, so I figured I'd enjoy this too. $8 for the full game? Sure, I'll bite (no pun intended). Haven't played it yet, as I'm feeling like waiting until the 5th Episode's release to play the game, though we'll see if I'm that dedicated. I just decided that since there weren't enough games on my radar that I genuinely WANTED, it wouldn't matter how cheap the games were, so it would be better to wait. Meanwhile I'm investing $50 of my account's roughly-$700 net worth to bump it up another 200, and with that I could by WAY more games than had I spent it on games right now.

Good choice. The Wolf Among Us is amazing. Never tried Walking Dead, though, not really into the zombie theme, myself.

Well The Walking Dead approached zombies right: the game was NOT about zombies, it was about people in a zombie apocalypse. The first Episode spends less than 5 minutes dwelling on the nature of the zombie apocalypse, and spends the rest of the time exploring the characters. The second Episode is where things started to get pretty desperate because it presented the player with the brutal reality that starvation is a very real threat when you're out on your own and civilization has crumbled. Whatever happened, it wasn't a game about "there's zombies, shoot them", it was all about people, and as World War Z author Max Brooks has vocally said, many a time, "It's not the zombies that makes zombies interesting, zombies are boring. They're just animated corpses. But the ethics or survival and the boundaries that people will cross in order to survive a desperate situation- with zombies -are what makes zombies interesting."

The game was endlessly celebrated as amazing, and it was that unending praise that got me to play it. I have to say, however, that it was NOT as big as I think people were making it out to be, but it was great. It was like the hard choices in the older Fallout games, where no matter what I did, something bad would result from it, only instead of having a few of these tough calls strewn around a 20 hour experience, that's ALL this game was: nothing but tough calls, so good luck with your choices! Did it make Clementine an amazing character? No, not really. But I will say I think of all child characters shoved into a story or situation, Clementine was one of the few well-done ones. People said they teared up when she was upset that her walkie talkie broke (the only thing she had left from her parents), but even though I personally didn't, I still kept Clementine's best interests at heart as I was playing the game, and that means something.

If nothing else, try it out, if you can. It's not the second coming of Jesus, but it's sure a good game. I think I got it last year during one of Steam's big sales, no less! XD

I only spent like 60 eurobucks this time. Mostly indie stuff for 1-5 each. And Metro2 and state of decay.

Sure glad I jumped on Divinity: Original Sin only a few hours before the sale ended. Best damn rpg in ages.

Other than that, I haven't had the cash for this summer sale. A couple of friends of mine gifted me a few games, though.

Sure glad I jumped on [Game Title] only a few hours before the sale ended. Best damn [Game Type] in ages.
Comments like these would have been helpful for others on deciding what to look out for and what to potentially pick up. =/

Oh well.

The problem with The Walking Dead game is that every "choice" is constricted by the plot itself. Most of them only offer small, sometimes only aesthetical changes while the story marches on unchanged in any way. Same thing afflicts Wolf among us, but that one comes from better source material (the Fables series).

Sure glad I jumped on [Game Title] only a few hours before the sale ended. Best damn [Game Type] in ages.
Comments like these would have been helpful for others on deciding what to look out for and what to potentially pick up. =/

Oh well.

Heh, the game was released pretty much just as the sale ended and I didn't bother with trying the beta. And I decided to buy the game just hours before the sale ended.

But now you know what to put on your wishlist. Or just buy standard price. The game is easily worth its price.

Oh well.

Well, I did comment on it while the sale was still on, so your fault for not noticing :P
I said comments LIKE THESE, meaning general recommendations, which this topic was severely lacking. I'm not sad at all that I "missed" plenty of games, because I chose NOT to buy them, I'm just saying that if this topic had received more attention with comments LIKE yours- before the sale ended -it would have been nifty for those who were wondering what to buy, those who were penny-pinching and wanted the best bang for their buck, etc.

Oh well.

Well, I did comment on it while the sale was still on, so your fault for not noticing :P
I said comments LIKE THESE, meaning general recommendations, which this topic was severely lacking. I'm not sad at all that I "missed" plenty of games, because I chose NOT to buy them, I'm just saying that if this topic had received more attention with comments LIKE yours- before the sale ended -it would have been nifty for those who were wondering what to buy, those who were penny-pinching and wanted the best bang for their buck, etc.

Well, being penny-pinching is your prerogative, but maybe you should worry more about keeping an eye on games that might interest you rather than looking for the cheapest steals. If you want to pay next to nothing for games you might as well obtain them by other means, no?

Well, being penny-pinching is your prerogative
Again, wrong person. XD Is it really so hard to distinguish between when I'm talking about myself and when I'm talking about generic examples of personalities?

I joke when I call myself a penny-pincher, but then I'm going to be paying someone else to assemble my next computer, rather than build it myself (less stress, I've assessed that's worth the few hundred dollars extra). I also call myself a carnivore sometimes, when clearly that's just not the case. But this time around, I was talking about OTHER people. I opted not to get lots of games for many, many reasons this Summer Sale time around, and penny-pinching wasn't one of them. For me, a chief lack of awareness of the games I know I want to get, or (as was the case with Doom 3 BFG Edition) coming to the conclusion that I don't want to pay for a product when I already possess a similar product (or several) and require no additional cost to use it/them. My reasons are far more complex than being Indian with my cash.

Yeah well, your reasons are your own. The point of my initial post was to share my experience of the sale and to raise awareness of the game, as I have seen very little interest for it around these forums. I got the impression that you had a problem with me doing so. And my comment on being penny-pinching is also a broad generalizing statement. I myself mostly buy games when they are on sale on Steam, but I also pay full price or near full price for products I know I will like or that really interest me. While I do really like the Steam sales and the inevitable marketing they do for lots of games (while allowing me to pick up games I don't consider worth paying full price for), it kind of irks me that a lot of people forget the reason games cost money come sale season. And I'm not talking about AAA titles here.

Well, this Summer Sale was kind of lame, not that many interesting deals or anything, kind of felt like it was going through the motions.

Well I never expect to buy all that many things in a sale in any case, since I do not enjoy the overwhelming majority of games.

Too many 20% offs on games I was interested in. I am running on kind of a limited budget at the moment.

The point of my initial post was to share my experience of the sale and to raise awareness of the game, as I have seen very little interest for it around these forums.
And I was saying MORE comments along these lines, people wanting to express explained interest in a game and stating its value, would have been a good thing.

I got the impression that you had a problem with me doing so.
And now we revisit the nasty old bastard that is total misunderstanding. I'm curious as HOW you could take away from what I said that I had a problem with your comment, because for the life of me I can't fathom how "more would be good" comes off as "having a problem with that".

One of the sales that caught my eye was the "Complete Metro Pack", which was pretty cheap for any game, though if I understood correctly, it was a bundle of multiple games? I've heard plenty of good about Metro, so I contemplated grabbing it, but chose not to.

Back