Stellaris thread, reviews, and opinions!

A pretty epic theme if you ask me, but apparently it's not implemented yet. If they are saving it for something or somebody I'm legit scared

Well, Stellaris got some updates and new dlcs. Has anyone played it recently?

I have been thinking about it, but the dlcs put me off, especially since Europe Universalis has got big problem with them.

Well, Stellaris got some updates and new dlcs. Has anyone played it recently?

I have been thinking about it, but the dlcs put me off, especially since Europe Universalis has got big problem with them.
All the big changes are actually on the Updates. DLC are easily like a 10% of the game tops. And if anything, you can just pirate a full version and nick the DLCs out of it.

Whaddya you want to know? I did a full run on the 1.5 plus the DLC, totally not acquired by the aforementioned method.

All the big changes are actually on the Updates. DLC are easily like a 10% of the game tops. And if anything, you can just pirate a full version and nick the DLCs out of it.

Whaddya you want to know? I did a full run on the 1.5 plus the DLC, totally not acquired by the aforementioned method.

I see, I was worried that dlcs are pretty much necessary.

I see, I was worried that dlcs are pretty much necessary.
The DLCs add extra spaceborne creatures, trader enclaves, hive minds, and the option to start off with a secondary species and/or robots.

Those things are entirely optional, and really don't add much to the game IMHO.

Weird to see that Paradox game can be played without DLCs. My experience with CK2 says otherwise.

So any tips for Stellaris noob? I got it cheap for about 15 Euro in my country, no thanks to steam. If anyone is interested, search for Allegro site and type Stellaris.

Actually, have a link, just in case:

https://allegro.pl/

So any tips for Stellaris noob?
Build Research Stations whenever possible. I know it's tempting to save the energy credits, but if you aren't constantly advancing your technology fast enough, you'll end up far weaker than every other Empire in the game.

Yes, various different kinds depending on your government type (so you can be a theocratic republic, a theocratic dictatorship, etc.) The new DLC lets you play as a hive mind which is even cooler imo

Stellaris is a good game, I think it needs a couple more DLC to really flesh it out though. One of the most disappointing bits is how weak fortresses, defense platforms, etc. are. There's basically no reason to build them after the early game and in the early game you'll always be too starved for resources for them to really be worthwhile. I just hate that because I'm the type of person who likes to play defensively and "turtle" in strategy games like this.

Conquer is the best defence though. You won't need any defences if there is no one to attack you!

Yes, various different kinds depending on your government type (so you can be a theocratic republic, a theocratic dictatorship, etc.) The new DLC lets you play as a hive mind which is even cooler imo

Stellaris is a good game, I think it needs a couple more DLC to really flesh it out though. One of the most disappointing bits is how weak fortresses, defense platforms, etc. are. There's basically no reason to build them after the early game and in the early game you'll always be too starved for resources for them to really be worthwhile. I just hate that because I'm the type of person who likes to play defensively and "turtle" in strategy games like this.
While that's true, those stations are one of the things that benefit most from the repeatable techs. Min maxed endgame fortresses with doubled stats, four to cover the maximun ground, will protect from anything that isn't a "doomstack". Definitively more useful against Hyperlane empires than others. Also, with one of the militaristic goverments you could make a stronger one pwe leader.

But yeah, we need to be able to build the Death Star, even if it's a Megastructure. Or replicate the Enigmatic Fortress.

Also, with one of the militaristic goverments you could make a stronger one pwe leader.
Actually, not anymore.

As per the Utopia update, government types have been replaced by "Civics", which means you choose how leaders are elected in your Empire(Whether it's a monarchy/dictatorship/democracy/oligarchy), and then choose separate traits which define how your government is run, rather than choosing from a preset lists of governing types.

This means that Military Dictatorships(Which were what used to get those) no longer exist as a government type.

So after putting a few hours into Stellaris in two different games, I was kind of disappointed. The AI did not expand or do anything for 40 years on default.

At one point, I was just staying in place researching stuff and I even stopped expanding. The droids helped a lot with mines, but still.

Did I do something wrong or do the dlcs add some substantial content?

The messages started repeating at one point and I almost fell asleep.

Played some more, had to twiddle with difficulty a bit, but got nice balance.

I had two wars already, learned from my mistakes and had fun.

I still think that the game was very dull for the years 30-50. But it wasn't bad. Dlcs will help, when they get discounted. So, my current stance on it is this:
7+/10

Nice strategy game, but base game suffers a lot during midgame.

Back