Stellaris thread, reviews, and opinions!

So I put almost 30 hours into this game and I think I had enough. The game right now... It is empty.

There is set number of events that start repeating itself sooner or later.

The combat tactics for all kind of ships are basically nonexistent. Let's say someone has got a long range ship. Instead of keeping opponent away both sides rush towards each other and the winner is the one with the highest number.

The diplomacy is okay at best. You can not change war goals during the conflict and the warscore is capped at 100, so you can not obliterate bigger empires in one war.

The midgame is one of the dullest parts in the game. Everyone enters federation and such.

Overall, I won't bother with this game, unless I get some of the dlcs or mods.

Put 120 hours and I had enough. The game at this point even with mods is still barebones. You'd better wait like 2 more years.

Two, terrible perfomance in the lategame. The engine has to run so many scripts, it turns into a slideshow and there is little you can do, outside of tweaking the game files or such.

I can't play more more than year 2350 (which is not a lot in a game like this), because the framerate gets that bad. It needs some good polish.

Put 120 hours and I had enough. The game at this point even with mods is still barebones. You'd better wait like 2 more years.

Two, terrible perfomance in the lategame. The engine has to run so many scripts, it turns into a slideshow and there is little you can do, outside of tweaking the game files or such.

I can't play more more than year 2350 (which is not a lot in a game like this), because the framerate gets that bad. It needs some good polish.

Dear god the slideshow. I have 5 save-games stuck around 2300-2400 because I just couldn't put up with the sub 20 FPS I was getting; It got to the point where if it starts lagging hard, I just start up another save.

Dear god the slideshow. I have 5 save-games stuck around 2300-2400 because I just couldn't put up with the sub 20 FPS I was getting; It got to the point where if it starts lagging hard, I just start up another save.

That's the problem. I had only experienced one crisis so far, simply because of how awful the framerate is later on.

To make it worse, max speed time needed for 1 year to pass:

2200 - 1 minute
2300 - 6 minutes...

And playing on a small map is dull. You find almost everything in a matter of months and little variety in terms of empires.

Unless they do something about the performance, I am done with this game

The only crisis I got to experience was the AI Revolution, and that was so underwhelming it ended up having very little impact anyways. I'll just come back to it after a year or two, hoping they fixed my complaints with it.

Here is my review:

Don't get me wrong. I deeply enjoyed the time I put into Stellaris, that said, I cannot recommend the game at it's current state.

First of all, it gets dull and repetetive at 3rd playthrough. The events are always exactly the same and reading about the same dumb solar powered starship made me want to gauge my eyes out.

Two, perfromance. If you like huge scale wars on 1000 big galaxies, the framerate will drop like crazy. The game runs very smoothly for the first 50 years let's say, but then it gets unbearable.

Three, terrible, terrible anti-consumer dlc policy and pricing. The dlcs cost 10 and 20 dollars each and ARE NOT WORTH THAT. If they combined the two and gave them a price of 15, I would say it's adds enough to justify. However, right now, don't bother. They simply add too little for too much money. Plus they will release more of these.

Four, the variety of tech, ships, challenges and such:

a)Dreadnought, pretty nice, but once you get it, it doesn't do much and you can not upgrade it's ftl. Not to mention, you can only get one per game and it is always the same.
b)EtherDrake, basically a huge spacedragon for you to kill. Once you get it, you get 9/10 a 9 square Gaia World, which is completely worthless and 30 minerals and energy from mining stations in this system.
c)Dimensional Horror, similar to Ether Drake, but adds Jump Drive.
d)Stellar Devourer, just another miniboss that eats suns. You kill it and then you can either restore the system or take the energy.
e)Some Kind of Swarm, similar to Ether Drake. Kill them and get some minerals.

War in heaven is nice, but the trouble is, that there is 40% chance only ONE Fallen Empire will awaken. 95% of the time it will roflstomp you and everyone else, since AI is cheating and you can never get to the same level of tech. You have to exploit the AI, since the chances of winning at this point are really damn low.

I have not played Utopia, but frankly 20 dollars for what it offers is simply not worth.

TL;DR: I played one vanilla playthrough and the rest modded. I had my share of fun, but I cannot recommend it as it is. Wait like another year or two, for the game to get better. As it is, 7/10 tops.

I lack most of those issues, because I'm treating it a bit like I do with Early Access. One game per content update, and if it's small wait for the next one. That way, I'm up to date with what is added and not, and then make the most out of each game. It's a pretty great chill game for me; plug in some tracks or a podcast and off I go.

I'm not gonna defend the DLC policy, but if you were paying attention to game changes, MOST of the content was free as with updates. Utopia only locked the "Ascension" perks off the Unity and Traditions mechanic, and megastructures are pretty gimmicky; and you can find broken Ringworlds and repair if you need any. Leviathans was quite enclosed, though, but that one was cheaper to get.

I lack most of those issues, because I'm treating it a bit like I do with Early Access. One game per content update, and if it's small wait for the next one. That way, I'm up to date with what is added and not, and then make the most out of each game. It's a pretty great chill game for me; plug in some tracks or a podcast and off I go.

I'm not gonna defend the DLC policy, but if you were paying attention to game changes, MOST of the content was free as with updates. Utopia only locked the "Ascension" perks off the Unity and Traditions mechanic, and megastructures are pretty gimmicky; and you can find broken Ringworlds and repair if you need any. Leviathans was quite enclosed, though, but that one was cheaper to get.

I personally find the game to be fairly enjoyable, I just want it to be playable past a certain point. A strategy game that starts running like crap when you finally get things going is a very flawed strategy game.

Last edited:
I personally find the game to be fairly enjoyable, i just want it to be playable past a certain point. A strategy game that starts running like crap when you finally get things going is a very flawed strategy game.
Ehhh, I don't play over 800 stars and so I don't get much of that until the END of the game, when I steamroll with a gazillion fleets the rest of the galaxy. What's the point? Bigger, fatter numbers?

Ehhh, I don't play over 800 stars and so I don't get much of that until the END of the game, when I steamroll with a gazillion fleets the rest of the galaxy. What's the point? Bigger, fatter numbers?
I have yet to encounter the Unbidden or the Prethoryn because I usually stop playing as a result of performance issues before they show up.

Last edited:
like bethesda, i consider stellaris to be the most large in scope of all paradox games while also got the deep of puddle >_>

though iam not saying stellaris is a bad game on its own..iam enjoying it actually... with mods

like bethesda, i consider stellaris to be the most large in scope of all paradox games while also got the deep of puddle >_>

though iam not saying stellaris is a bad game on its own..iam enjoying it actually... with mods

Same, Stellaris is not a bad game unlike shitout 4. However, it just doesn't have much.

Sure they have been working on it and it got better, but it is still pretty dull.

Not to mention the endgame crisises are a)Cliche and b)Typical.

AI rebelion, Zerg (Aka the swarm) and destroyers of the universe from different dimension.

I personally think LEX mod is a must. It adds some really good crisis mechanics and unique units.

I'm a relative newcomer to Paradox games, but the impression I've gotten is that it's a typical Paradox platform. That meaning, in about two years it's gonna be really good if you have all the DLC they released over the course of the game's existence.

What's there including the DLCs is pretty fun, grabbed it all during the Steam Sale, and my major complaint is how horribly optimized it is. It's bad. It's bad while still scratching the itch that I found Gal Civ to almost, but not quite manage.

So, after playing Stellaris for more than 200 hours, I have decided to gather all my thoughts about it here and explain, why I both love and hate this title at the same title.

First of all, I love the premise and the idea of it. Creating your own empire with different species, developing, finding about mysteries of the universe, waging great wars, etc.

That said the game falls flat on many of it aspects, making it both boring and tedious for the most part.

Let's start with something simple, shall we? Empire Creation, Species Creation and how similar everything feels. When you first boot up Stellaris and see all those portraits and how you can set your empire to be xenophobic warlike with huge adaptivness makes it feel good for the first time. Then once you play through once or twice, you notice how shallow and pointless the whole thing is.

First of all, every species feels almost exactly the same. They might have different traits, they may look different but they act in exact same way – put the pop on the tile and let it do it's job. Some are strong, some are enduring, some are intelligent, but they all act exactly the same way. They are just pops. The basic problem with it, the very limited pool of traits, both positive and negative. It makes all the species act basically the same, for all intents and purposes. You can not recreate Yuht empire and even if you have got like 20 different species in your empire, there is no depth in there. No racism, no phobia, no scuffles, everyone is just okay with each other, except when their faction is not respected, then they rebel. The unrest itself is just dull and hardly ever matters for the most parts. The unrest is high, build some armies, then even if they rebel, they won't be able to reclaim the planet. Only some ethics divergence.

Just in case, have a look at this mod, that gives each race some unique features. https://www.nexusmods.com/stellaris/mods/7/?

Moving on, the empires and different civics. The differences between them are a bit better, since every edicts has got some different agendas or policies you have to have in mind. Not much to say about it, except it is just there and dictates your early game the most.

Now we get to the early game. Honestly, the best part of the game is when you first start up, hope for some good resources, planets and neighbours, struggle to gather your fleet, etc. This is where Stellaris shines, you get planets, do anomalies, gather your forces, 40 years pass and you are in the dreadfull midgame.

The midgame is one of the worst aspects of Stellaris. The diplomacy is non existent and you really want to avoid doing defensive parts, fedarations and such with the AI, since it is pretty much brain dead. Lack of options, no spies, limited options, enforced truces by the game rules, even when you are fanatic purifiers are a few things that stick out like crazy. The biggest part of this period is basically when you go the war for the most part, since in early game you want to claim as much 'space' as you can. Also, when Unbidden arrived I had to declare 2 wars, just to get my fleet to their portal, just great...

The wars are... awful. They are a complette and utter chore and I hate going to them. It's basically declare war -> Blow up enemy fleet -> Get 50 Clone Armies -> Land them on enemy planet -> WarScore up by 5% -> Rinse and Repeat. Then at the end of it, you get like 5 planets and you have to hand everything back and wait till the truce runs out to do the same thing again.

That's not the biggest fault, worse it complete and utter lack of any and all sorts tactics. It's nothing more but a doomstack vs doomstack, the one, which counters the other wins or just has got more fleetpower. You can't tell give ships specific orders, or even how they should move when going against other doomstack. Corvettes – Rush Forward. Cruises – Tank and rush forward, Destroyers – Stay between those two, Battleships – Stay back and shoot. There is a mod, that let's you do that! The Battleships are one of the least useful things in the game for the most part. They cost a ton, they have got huge shields and armour, which they never use, since they stay back and just use Giga Cannons every now and then.

The armies are just awful and terribly balanced. It's even worse than a doomstack vs doomstack. All you do is if your army is < Enemy Army, you bombard, send them in and retreat them. If you have got a bunch of clone armies and just overwhelm the enemy through sheer numbers. This needs a complete overhaul. I will tell a bit more at the end, where I will tell you, why I find the balance a huge problem in this.

Moving on, the depth of the empire, resource managements, interractions and such. I admit, I am not a seasoned 4X player, but I have played games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1/2, Stronghold, original Kossacks, etc. To put it simply, mechanics are simply broken and a huge mess. Stellaris is able to craft wonderful stories, but when it comes to being immersive and feeling like you actually make a difference in the universe, it really falls apart. The whole management comes to building a bunch of research/mining stations, putting planets in sectors and moving on. This game has got staggering amount of pointless clicking. Want to upgrade all your buildings on the planet, click the mouse up to 25 times, need more ships? More Clicking! The brain Dead AI put a Planetary Capital on Betherium resources? Click some more to replace it! You built the armies on five different planets? Don't forget to embark all them, send them to a star system and then merge them! Also you can spend more clicking, by giving all troops special attachements! And the worst part it, this whole clicking is there to distract the player from just putting fast forward on the max speed. Since the mechanics are crap, the game discrats us with something like this.

Next is lack of stuff to do in the galaxy and victory conditions. Once you research all anomalies, build all mining stations, you are pretty much stuck with doing nothing but building your fleet to go to war. This is the biggest problem Stellaris has got, for a game that is supposed to let you create your own empire, it has nothing to do but War! You can not buy out or undermine others, cut off their trade routes, sabotage them, etc. Once you get rid of guardians from Leviathans that's about it. Adding a bunch of events won't fix it, because sooner or later you will just skip it, since it is exactly the same solar powered starship! That's the problem, the mechanics are so poor, so underdeveloped, the war is the only thing you can do for the most part. It has to be overhauled and expaned or the Stellaris will stay as boring doomstack simulator.

After that, we get to the Crisis mechanics. Honestly, I like them, but I am disappointed with how they work. All the crises are just massive fleets trying to kill you and everyone else, with some different interactions. The idea is nice, but I think we need more mini-crises and something besides giant wars, which Stellaris focuses on.

Now, the main problem with combat is that Stellaris tries too much to stay balanced. I get it, you want the game to played on multiplayer and everyone just using the same stuff is boring. But if there is perfect balance, the game is just dull. Wha't the point of getting all those OP technologies and megastructures when everyone ends up basically the same? I mean, Enigmatic Fortress was so good, you nerfed it to the ground. I mean, if the player works hard and gets, he should be rewarded. The megastructures were not worth it in 1.6, but in 1.8 the idea is just as dumb. You can only build one of each (except Ringworlds and Habitats) even if you own the entire galaxy.

NOW, WE GET TO THINGS I ACTUALLY ENJOYED:

1.I like early game a lot.

2.The visuals are good and especially music are good.

3.The game has got potential to become truly great.

4.The lore and anomalies are great the first few times.

5.Huge Modabillity.

6.The stories for the species you come up with can be great, it is like a novel in a good way.

Overall, the Stellaris has got solid foundation, but is just so bad in so many ways. I want this game to be good, but unless they overhaul some of the mechanics the game will forever suffer from the issues above.

Overall, it is at best 7/10 game, good, but could be so much better.

Last edited:
I think that a pretty unfair point to leave out is how it's one of if not the most clear and accesible 4X out there. The tutorial is comprehensive, the tips are elaborate and read out loud, UI is is streamlined and explicit. You can very safely have a hold on what's going on, and while the "pointless clicking" is a fair point, players, at least the newer ones, feel like they're accomplishing something.
I was just playing CK2 and it feels like a huge spreadsheet that sometimes throws quirky events and situations at you while you just go along with it the best you can.
I feel like Stellaris is sometimes more of a sim than a 4X, as not all that many of the things that you can do are laid out. Like, say, making AI fight each other by manipulating colonies, minmaxing, using Biomodding or even Engineering to create "trap" pops" and cause disruption in enemy empires. Using the starting corvettes to scout the galaxy way before any Science Vessels.
Added to that, quality of life is also great for the most part. Most annoying hitches and bumps are gone or replaced by others as for now.
To wrap it up, I think it's one of the best games of the genre you can reccomend to someone just getting into them, as much as Civilization or as a step to take after that.

Honestly I find CK2 easier than Stellaris, even when I think I'm doing well in Stellaris I always somehow end up falling behind and getting destroyed by giant doomstacks.

I think the biggest problems for me are that combat isn't fun and that it severely penalizes you for expanding, which also kills the fun. Why did they think it was a good idea to make colonizing other planets severely cripple your research? How does that even make sense?

Back