Survival, the only way to play....

kharille

First time out of the vault
Just started Survival. Makes it more of a challenge in terms of managing my hardware. Just watched someones twitch stream, 94 power cores. Not realistic, breaks immersion. Reminds me of the times I'm carrying maybe 30 missiles. Now I find myself unable to move with 7 missiles along with everything else. Same with mininukes.

Just think survival is the only way to play. My first playthrough on normal got rather boring because all the subtle bonuses don't mean much when you're carrying so much stuff.

Anyone got any survival experiences they'd like to share?

Just started huh?

Well, have fun with walking across the map every time you want to get somewhere as there is no fast travel option, not even the caravan option in Skyrim. You'll literally have to walk everywhere. Oh and better hope you don't get blindsided by some random strong enemy halfway there as you can only save with sleeping so if you die then you'll have to walk that entire stretch again.

You really ought to get a mod that allows for more save options and some kinda travel mod cause that shit is going to get on your tits later on.

Yeah, before I went into Corvega I must've spent multiple trips exploring all these minor features and discovered a bed here and there. Really longer playtime 2nd time around. But since weight counts for something, I need to spend more time managing.

Its good to really familiarize myself with landmarks, Abernathy and that pylon, hangmans alley and that bridge.... totally detached from that when I had fast travel.

I can't play Survival on 4 unless I have a mod with options on it. I feel like the locking of the console was a mistake considering how godawful bugged the game can get, same with the lack of saves. I understand both reasons for doing so, to limit cheating and to make the game harder, but the reality is that the game can get seriously fucked up.

Save on sleep is stupid, all survival had to do was make the player aware of his environment, needs, and limits. Not to smash his keyboard in after a few hours roaming around not constantly sleeping in every bed they can find. That's just not fun and wastes the players time.

Save on sleep is stupid, all survival had to do was make the player aware of his environment, needs, and limits. Not to smash his keyboard in after a few hours roaming around not constantly sleeping in every bed they can find. That's just not fun and wastes the players time.
It's a total artificial constraint on the gameplay. And lesser so, the whole "limited sleep" in anything that isn't an immaculate mattress on a bedframe. I mean, maybe it's just me, but I've slept perfectly fine in a bedroll.

Hm, glad I didn't get many crashes. I got one when I was under that satellite dish in the north, early minutemen quest. I'm using maybe 30 odd mods in my survival 2nd playthrough. Makes a big difference since in normal I'm running around with over 100 stimpacks, more than 50 power cores, mini nukes and missiles.

To summarize; the game is dumb no matter which way you choose to play it. Survival is a wreck because of the saving constraint. And normal is just too trivial with things like carry weight. You simply can't win.

Survival mode is only one reason WHY YOU NEED TO BUILD SETTLEMENTS. Because you do not need them in other mode, you can just teleport everywhere. But crate and bed in Survival counts much. The complete shit is crash in Survival. It could burn one gaming hour for nothing...

I absolutely love playing survival.

Sleeping is not even a problem since the settlements are in every corner of the map and have a good coverage. It's so simple to get the habit of sleeping before going for a mission. Plus, there are beds everywhere, so I think complaining about sleep-saving is useless

About fast travel, well, another thing I don't understand are people complaining about it. It's SURVIVAL, what's the point in fast traveling where you don't have any danger on the road? Traveling from North to South takes maximum 7/8 minutes...

Survival mode is only one reason WHY YOU NEED TO BUILD SETTLEMENTS. Because you do not need them in other mode, you can just teleport everywhere. But crate and bed in Survival counts much.

And finally this is exactly why I love to build settlements in survival, it gives you a place you can consider home (even if you just use them for sleeping). If in my survival save I'm in danger (followed by a deathclaw or a horde of mirelurks), I know I can run to the closest settlement and have turrets + people helping me.

I absolutely love playing survival.

Sleeping is not even a problem since the settlements are in every corner of the map and have a good coverage. It's so simple to get the habit of sleeping before going for a mission. Plus, there are beds everywhere, so I think complaining about sleep-saving is useless

About fast travel, well, another thing I don't understand are people complaining about it. It's SURVIVAL, what's the point in fast traveling where you don't have any danger on the road? Traveling from North to South takes maximum 7/8 minutes...

And finally this is exactly why I love to build settlements in survival, it gives you a place you can consider home (even if you just use them for sleeping). If in my survival save I'm in danger (followed by a deathclaw or a horde of mirelurks), I know I can run to the closest settlement and have turrets + people helping me.
The same thing - love to play but hate of bugs. The main point of settlements also - I'm damn looter and take everything to bring to settlement to give weapons to people or to dismantle to materials. That is why need containers also, you cannot find them on the road and no need.

Back