Tale of Two Wastelands 3.2 release

After an update that took three and a half years in the making. The TTW team proudly presents TTW 3.2.

With a changelog over 30000 lines long (when all weapon mesh fixes are condensed to one line), and a brand new installer capable of automatically installing all the utilities you'll need to run TTW and re-encoding Fallout 3's audio files, 3.2 is worth the wait.

People back in the day thought most modders would move on from Fallout New Vegas and into Fallout 4. Well, we survived the launch of Fallout 4, we survived Fallout 76 and we are still going strong.

Ever wanted to experience a mechanically superior Fallout 3? Have Survival Skill, Hardcore Mode, Cooking, Crafting, Different Ammo types for the same weapon, Harvestables, Weapons with real Iron-Sights, Weapon Mods, Traits, Interesting Perks, more Chem variety, DT back in your armors, Poisons, Throwing Weapons, Special Recipes, Companion Perks, and all the other goodies from Fallout New Vegas in your Fallout 3?
Well... You can! All you have to do is download and install TTW.
https://taleoftwowastelands.com/download_ttw
Besides all those mechanics and addons from Fallout New Vegas in your Fallout 3. You can also play both games! At the same time and with the same character! All you have to do is buy a ticket with a few caps and then catch the train. You will be able to ride from one wasteland to the other.
Train Stations are based on the real world stations and everything.

So, you have two full games and their entire DLCs available in the same playthrough, Fallout New Vegas features on Fallout 3 too, companions have proper places to wait when they're out of their native wasteland. Most Fallout New Vegas mods work out of the box too. And much, much more.

All for free, due to the sweat, blood and tears of the TTW team.

We hope you enjoy the experience.

Handy links:
  • Our FAQ provide more information:
https://taleoftwowastelands.com/faq
  • You can download TTW here:
https://taleoftwowastelands.com/download_ttw
  • We have our Discord Server for real time chat:
https://discord.gg/zg46A6H

Disclaimer: We make Fallout 3 "better", but don't expect TTW to make the writing similar to Fallout New Vegas, we don't touch the writing on either game. :lmao:

Congratulations! I'll be reinstalling TTW when The Frontier comes out (hopefully soon enough).

Thanks to the whole team!

i don't want to experience fallout 3 ever again

sorry i respect your work, just could't resist
Exactly! Wouldn't play Fallout 3 even if my life depended on it.

e: but still got to respect the commitment of the modders.
qcKZU3l.jpg
"Please people. If you're not gonna buy the product, can you please leave? ... You're scaring the real customers." :roffle:

I'm glad they still update Tale of Two Wastelands. I wish there were some bigger conversion mods for Fallout 4 though, that Fallout 3 mod and New Vegas mod in Fallout 4 seem to be taking a while. It's to be expected though with such a small team. I really need to learn more coding *facepalm*

I'm glad they still update Tale of Two Wastelands. I wish there were some bigger conversion mods for Fallout 4 though, that Fallout 3 mod and New Vegas mod in Fallout 4 seem to be taking a while. It's to be expected though with such a small team. I really need to learn more coding *facepalm*

It was relatively 'easy' to port FO3 to NV. Both engines they are running are very similar. You can almost directly use meshes, animations & texture from FO3 and let them work in NV. That's why a automated conversion of FO3 files to NV is possible.

In FO4 you have to remake a ton of stuff. Meshes, textures, animations and also quests, scripts... There is almost (audio files should be possible) no automation possible.

Very impressive; and I will indeed give it a shot. I never finished FO3, or NV, and I have been meaning to get back into it, and to finish a mod item I was working on.

i want to try this so badly since it seems a lot of work into it. And then i remember it has Fallout 3 attached to it and i get sad.

Ah finally another update. Now all I need is New California Compability and a release of The Frontier ^^

@Norzan You can actually choose where to start from, and ignore the part you don't like...

Disclaimer: We make Fallout 3 "better", but don't expect TTW to make the writing similar to Fallout New Vegas, we don't touch the writing on either game. :lmao:
OP, Thank you for all your hard work in attempts to make Fallout 3 a better game.
I think with written lines say from New Vegas companions commenting on FO3 locations and plot lines it would make for some interesting gameplay like watching movie commentaries.
Who knows, maybe one day you can even get Tabitha to appear in FO3 wasteland (after Crazy, Crazy, Crazy) to comment on the Dumbdums living there in real time.

Did you fix caravans ?
(not the card game)
What's wrong with them... Besides them dying easily? :lmao:
OP, Thank you for all your hard work in attempts to make Fallout 3 a better game.
I think with written lines say from New Vegas companions commenting on FO3 locations and plot lines it would make for some interesting gameplay like watching movie commentaries.
Who knows, maybe one day you can even get Tabitha to appear in FO3 wasteland (after Crazy, Crazy, Crazy) to comment on the Dumbdums living there in real time.
That's better made as a mod for TTW.
Also getting voice sound files for it would be a pain or downright impossible without paying the VAs again.

That's better made as a mod for TTW.
Also getting voice sound files for it would be a pain or downright impossible without paying the VAs again.
Yeah ofc voices is out of the question for now. Just thinking of some ways to get people to play the FO3 part and get some enjoyment out of it.
I'm imagining Veronica wanting to take the tech, Cass commenting on the flawed caravan system and maybe Raul wishing he were back at Tabitha's.

I mean, with this it's a lot easier to bring the games together, so now maybe more people will branch off from it to try and mod the two together. As in - fix the nightmare of F3 plot, now that there's an actual series of perks and RP mechanics in it, and adding a bit of rollover between the two. It was popular before but had some gateways that prevent others from installing it and so not every modder wanted to deal with it. Hopefully, this removes those filters and makes more modders excited to develop for it.

Will this work with Cenega localized colectors edition of F3, and if not can I use files from pirated version?
(I know, pirates are scum and so on, but I wont buy F3 twice)

Will this work with Cenega localized colectors edition of F3, and if not can I use files from pirated version?
(I know, pirates are scum and so on, but I wont buy F3 twice)
Unfortunately the player needs both games in English version. We will be looking at different languages soon, if we can get our hands on those versions.

Pirate copies will not work. We needed to make it like that, as to not enter the mystical realms of Bethesda's legal department and get shut down. We already have to be very careful and keep the entire mod legal. That is why we have to have our installer patching the already existing FO3 installation files, instead of distributing the files already patched.

With companies like Bethesda, we need to be very careful, because one wrong step and they can just send their lawyers to close us down.

That is why we are not on the Nexus, because we also don't want to endanger Nexus in case we one day make a wrong turn (which I doubt it will happen, since we are very very careful in not breaking Bethesda's terms and conditions).

I mean, with this it's a lot easier to bring the games together, so now maybe more people will branch off from it to try and mod the two together. As in - fix the nightmare of F3 plot, now that there's an actual series of perks and RP mechanics in it, and adding a bit of rollover between the two. It was popular before but had some gateways that prevent others from installing it and so not every modder wanted to deal with it. Hopefully, this removes those filters and makes more modders excited to develop for it.
Genuine question, not trying to be facetious: realistically, what can be fixed? Obviously rerecording dialogue is out of the question unless it's entirely redone, but audio and lines can be spliced to remove things spoken by characters. Is Fallout 3's opening hard-coded? Can the whole "child in a Vault" sequence be disregarded, and start with you just trying to escape the Vault? Can every reference to James being your dad be removed? Those two changes alone at least give you the freedom to determine a few things about your character on your own, even if you're still tied to Vault 101. What else could be modded to improve FO3's plot?

D
You could just... ignore what you don't want to acknowledge?

Back