Ten Reasons Why Fallout 4 is worse than Fallout 3

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
I've mentioned this many times but I generally rank things very well. Warmed over Fallout is better than 90% of all games and I am an easy to please kind of guy. Usually, I can find a lot to like about a game and I am happy to discuss how much I enjoyed X, Y, and Z. That's the case with Fallout 4 but...God, do I feel it is a downgrade from Fallout 3.

So, in the spirit of the negativity that NMA speaks of, here is a list of the shit that bothers me about this game. Also, why I compare it negatively with Fallout 3.

1. The Family element is a joke: Fallout 3 is about you chasing your father and the changes you undergo before you meet him again. He heroically sacrifices himself to save you and you end up fulfilling his dream even if by circumstance. A decent amount of time is spent getting to know James in the Vault 101. Here, I spent an hour making Nora and wondering how the game would include her in the story but it turned out it was just to stuff her in a fridge. Shaun is also the villain of the game with his nonsensical plans and vague allusions.

2. The Power Progression Fantasy is Busted: The steady progression of the player's sense of badassery is a major part of why the narrative in Fallout 3 doesn't suffer from dissonance. You slowly go from being a naive wet behind the ears Vault Dweller to a Brotherhood of Steel one man army. Here, you get a fucking set of Power Armor and kill a Deathclaw in the second adventure and the entire game is a downgrade from there.

3. There's no sense of accomplishment: The Commonwealth is mostly doing fine without you. The Institute is a bunch of fucking idiots making robot slaves and kidnapping people to turn into Super Mutants, which you'd think would make them terrifying but they're a joke when you meet them and their evil leader is trying to make you his replacement. In short, all the problems will resolve themselves if you do nothing. The Capital Wasteland NEEDS the Lone Wanderer to save everyone.

4. You are stuck being a goodie-two shoes: Fallout 3 had its issues but up until the BOS vs. Enclave plot (which you can mess with in Broken Steel), you could be an absolute monster who enslaves, blows up Megaton, and is a scourge of the Wasteland. Fallout 4 is almost completely lacking in any option of being evil and doesn't get any opportunity to do so until the Nuka World expansion.

5. The Sense of Exploration is terrible: There's a lot of weirdness and unique stories that are going on throughout the Capital Wasteland if you just go over one hill or another. Giant Ants, Cannibals, Republics of Dave, Nuka Girls, and so on. Virtually all of the story is located around Diamond City and the story is much more linear in taking you around the Commonwealth.

6. The Games Villains Lack Personality: John Henry Eden has a lot of the heavy lifting done by the fact Malcolm McDowel is a fantastic actor but you can listen to his bizarre rants throughout and the conflict between him and Autumn has a point. Plus, it's about poisoning the water purifier. Father just wants you to steal a fusion reactor. Oddly, I feel like Arthur Maxson is a lot more terryfing with his genocide of the ghouls plan but apparetly we're meant to think of him as a good guy. But it's secondary villains too: Paradise Falls, Ashur, the Brotherhood Outcasts, and the Ant-Agonizer/Mechanist versus the one note Nuka Worlders and more.

7. The game relies too heavily on Radiant Content: So much of the game depends on opening up the game creation files with Settlements and radiant quests like Preston Garvey that there's obviously very little attempt by the creators to actually create genuine content that is plotted out. "A settlement needs your help" requires you to go there, kill some ghouls.

8. The Game World is Less Reactive: In Fallout 3, you are a silent protagonist but this gives you a lot more options in how to respond to events. The pre-recorded lines mean that virtually everyone reacts to your comments the same way. Take an early quest from both:

Sheriff: Can you disable this nuke?

Fallout 3:

1. Sure
2. Maybe, I don't know how to disable a nuke
3. I don't want to care about Megaton's problems.

Reaction: Each unique

Fallout 4

Piper: Do you care about Newspapers?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Why would you ask such a stupid question?

Reaction: All the same

9. The News Content Sucks: Three Dog was annoying as fuck at times and had no real news to listen on the radio to but for you. However, there's at least the sense you're doing stuff in the game and making accomplishments while the radio annoucer is utterly lacking any sense of importance with you. Piper is supposed to take up the role but hand written articles photocopied don't have the same sense. Also, she doesn't editorialize nearly as much as she ironically should.

10. No unique atmosphere: The Capital Wasteland is a blasted Hellscape where people are struggling to survive and Raiders have run over everything. The Commonwealth just seems to be a bunch of settlements made of trash with Raiders existing in just as high a numbers but seemingly no major effect on everyone's attitude.

Counterpoint:
iu

On a serious note though both are pretty horrid in most ways. As RPG's they're abysmal. As exploration games they overstay their welcome and their gameworld doesn't make any sense. As a piece of writing they are nonsensical to the point of brain disconnection. As stories they are predictable, badly paced, badly plotlined and contrived. As Fallout games they are both abominations to the series. From art design to the handling of lore to the jangling of keys relying on recycled iconography to failing to understand the core principles of what made Fallout Fallout.

HOWEVER...
Fallout 4 'plays' well enough to be a dumb shooty shooter with some survival elements and builing mechanics. it is actually salvagable as a mindless fun game with a handful of mods. Fallout 3 requires so many mods to fix the core issues to the general gameplay that it makes it an unstable mess that is more time spent modding the game than playing it.

So Fallout 4 is more fun to me than 3.

Last edited:
Starting to appreciate Fallout 4 more now. Both games are dumb, make no sense, their worldbuilding is borderline clown school, but at least Fallout 4 doesn't play like shit.

Yeah, Fallout 4 is better than Fallout 3.

Last edited:
As RPG's they're abysmal.
Bethesda cannot abide having their games ever be an RPG, because an RPG imposes character limits, and (rightly) locks off content based upon player choice (, and ideally occasional random events).

Starting to appreciate Fallout 4 more now. Both games are dumb, make no sense, their worldbuilding is borderline clown school, but at least Fallout 4 doesn't play like shit.

Yeah, Fallout 4 is better than Fallout 3.

Pffft.

Fallout 4 also dumbed down the mechanics to the point the only the Speech check exists in any element and even that is ridiculously bad.

So, yes, it plays like shit.

Pffft.

Fallout 4 also dumbed down the mechanics to the point the only the Speech check exists in any element and even that is ridiculously bad.

I think that if you play with this: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/76739 You can just cheese a few levels, powerlevel Persuasion and never have to worry about it again.
It's not an RPG, it's a rooty tooty mcshooty game where you gun down ghouls with realistic damage mod.
Who cares about speech checks in that?

Bethesda cannot abide having their games ever be an RPG, because an RPG imposes character limits, and (rightly) locks off content based upon player choice (, and ideally occasional random events).
Hm, I mean, ironically enough Starfield is the most limiting out of any of their games when it comes to your characters limits, TOO limiting. The way skills work in that game is to the point of being nonsensical. For example, you literally do not get access to the stealth mechanic if you do not put a point into the sneaking skill. Like, I mean the process of bending your knees and walking slowly and carefully is something your character is literally incapable of doing according to the "character skill" and you do not get the little eye icon over your hear.

There's tons of limitaitons in Starfield where you have to outrageously grind levels for your character to be able to get access to just basic mechanics in the game. Not talking about being good at them, I'm talking about basic point of access.

It has infinite leveling but it gets to a point where you can't realistically level anymore without cheesing to an extreme degree or outright cheating.

The dialogue and speech mechanic is already horrendous in Fallout 3 anyway.

Yes, the speech mechanic is what people are talking about when they claim Fallout 4 doesn't play like shit. It's not the fact that the shooting mechanics in Fallout 4 aren't horrendous as the ones in Fallout 3, a game with worse shooting mechanics than build engine fps from the 90s.

Yep, it's the same in both though. It's % based. Doesn't Fallout 3 at least show you the % chance? Fallout 4 doesn't. Kinda poopy.

:eye roll:

Yes, the speech mechanic is what people are talking about when they claim Fallout 4 doesn't play like shit. It's not the fact that the shooting mechanics in Fallout 4 aren't horrendous as the ones in Fallout 3, a game with worse shooting mechanics than build engine fps from the 90s.

Yes, and I'm saying it's lost most of what was good about the previous builds and gameplay in F3. I VATS everything anyway.

Yep, it's the same in both though. It's % based. Doesn't Fallout 3 at least show you the % chance? Fallout 4 doesn't. Kinda poopy.
Ironically by not showing the percentage it actually behaves the same way as the first two Fallout games. So in a way the speech in Fallout 4 is closer to Fallout 1 and 2 compared to Fallout 3. It's still shit anyway.

Fallout 3:
[Intelligence] You’re a ghoul because you were irradiated.

Fallout 4:
[Sarcasm] I’m going to kill your children and eat them.

You can roll your eyes until you are blind, what i said is true.

Ye, it lost the bad gameplay, that's a positive.

Sure man.

You can fucking defend FALLOUT 4 and try and have that fucking pass muster on these forums.

Ironically by not showing the percentage it actually behaves the same way as the first two Fallout games. So in a way the speech in Fallout 4 is closer to Fallout 1 and 2 compared to Fallout 3. It's still shit anyway.
Speech checks were dicerolled in Fallout 1 and 2?

Yes, and I'm saying it's lost most of what was good about the previous builds and gameplay in F3. I VATS everything anyway.
Me too, because I had to, because otherwise I couldn't hit anything, because the shooting mechanics in Fallout 3 and New Vegas are complete ass.

You can fucking defend FALLOUT 4 and try and have that fucking pass muster on these forums.
"Defend" Fallout 4?
It's a shit game. REQUIRES mods to make it playable. That's a shit game.

Yes, they were. Also increasing speech skill would unlock new dialogue options, allowing to do different things in quests.
I never noticed. I either went ballz through the wallz with Speech or I didn't invest points at all so I probably never noticed it.

"Defend" Fallout 4?
It's a shit game. REQUIRES mods to make it playable. That's a shit game.

Well I wasn't talking to you so I'm confused by you're responding.

Also, I'll take your word for it because I only play Bethesda games on console.

Playing Bethesda games on consoles, absolutely disgusting. Even New Vegas is bad on consoles.

Speech checks were dicerolled in Fallout 1 and 2?
I think that skill checks in those games work by taking your skill and adding/subtracting to it based on difficulty. So it’s possible to have 100% chance to pass most checks.

There are some checks that are either pass/fail too I think.

2. The Power Progression Fantasy is Busted: The steady progression of the player's sense of badassery is a major part of why the narrative in Fallout 3 doesn't suffer from dissonance. You slowly go from being a naive wet behind the ears Vault Dweller to a Brotherhood of Steel one man army. Here, you get a fucking set of Power Armor and kill a Deathclaw in the second adventure and the entire game is a downgrade from there.
You can beeline to the Operation Anchorage DLC and get t51 and a bunch of guns right off the rip in FO3.

3. There's no sense of accomplishment: The Commonwealth is mostly doing fine without you. The Institute is a bunch of fucking idiots making robot slaves and kidnapping people to turn into Super Mutants, which you'd think would make them terrifying but they're a joke when you meet them and their evil leader is trying to make you his replacement. In short, all the problems will resolve themselves if you do nothing. The Capital Wasteland NEEDS the Lone Wanderer to save everyone.
The only real plot point that requires you to do anything in FO3 is your idiot dad getting stuck in tranquility lane. Everything else is just fetch quests.

4. You are stuck being a goodie-two shoes: Fallout 3 had its issues but up until the BOS vs. Enclave plot (which you can mess with in Broken Steel), you could be an absolute monster who enslaves, blows up Megaton, and is a scourge of the Wasteland. Fallout 4 is almost completely lacking in any option of being evil and doesn't get any opportunity to do so until the Nuka World expansion.
You can do all of that in FO3 and you still give water to everyone, fallouts never really done a bad guy ending outside tactics. There is no inbetween, none of your choices honestly matter. You can nuke the citadel at the end of broken steel and it doesnt matter. the games over at that point anyway.

5. The Sense of Exploration is terrible: There's a lot of weirdness and unique stories that are going on throughout the Capital Wasteland if you just go over one hill or another. Giant Ants, Cannibals, Republics of Dave, Nuka Girls, and so on. Virtually all of the story is located around Diamond City and the story is much more linear in taking you around the Commonwealth.
I'd wager FO4 has as much weird narrative stuff as FO3. Neither game is particularly interesting in that regards.

9. The News Content Sucks: Three Dog was annoying as fuck at times and had no real news to listen on the radio to but for you. However, there's at least the sense you're doing stuff in the game and making accomplishments while the radio annoucer is utterly lacking any sense of importance with you. Piper is supposed to take up the role but hand written articles photocopied don't have the same sense. Also, she doesn't editorialize nearly as much as she ironically should.
the DJ of 4 is more entertaining than either 3 dog or piper. just dont solve his confidence issues.

10. No unique atmosphere: The Capital Wasteland is a blasted Hellscape where people are struggling to survive and Raiders have run over everything. The Commonwealth just seems to be a bunch of settlements made of trash with Raiders existing in just as high a numbers but seemingly no major effect on everyone's attitude.
are we playing the same games? Fallout 3 had settlements made out of garbage surrounding a bomb, on top of a free way, an old rusted out aircraft carrier and tenpenny tower which looked randomly out of place in the middle of nowhere next to a robotics factory.

Back