The good aspects to Fallout 3?

Even the landscape was too "Post Apo TM", it's a beaten horse, I know, but New Vegas did it well: Look, plants. Shrubs. Green leafs. I sighed a little extra when the allready annoying "three dawwwg" talked about "real green trees, not those burned black things", because it just reminded me that there is no reason everything should be so burned and ruined and glowing and radioactive and rule-of-cool

Also, the roads made no fucking sense. Nothing made any sense, really, it was a jumbled landscape, with sight-seeing points paced around, with no other logic to it than "reasonable ammount of space between each explorable location"

New Vegas, agaaain, had a lot of "dead area", and I've even heard complaints about this, like the dried out lakes "wasted space, nothing to EXPLOOORE there", but the empty areas lend to the pesky realism, same as the green, vivid non-apocallyptic trees

I would have liked even more residential space, with people just hanging around being poor

One of my greatest dissapointments in FO3 (although I quickly got used to it) was the lack of any sort of urban feel (ruins don't count, because ruins and rubble are ruins and rubble, not urban space), what was it, Cantebury Commons, that was my last big hope, the name made it seem like a real place, especially when I learned that it was some sort of trader hub

Imagine
the dissapointment...

I went through the whole building, barely noticing it. I found my way to the bottom, and spent ten minutes trying to trigger, or otherwise activate the obelisk—or at least find SOMETHING of a point to the place. I got nothing. Having (later) read about the Dunwich building on the forums, I went looking for this place... Only to realize it was that pointless place with the ghouls that I'd already cleared out.

I didn't mind the Dunwich building for what it was--a little Easter egg tucked away in a dark corner of the map.

Then Point Lookout dedicated an entire side quest to this shit, along with, from what I hear, Fallout 4 and by now the concept is just ridiculous.

I didn't mind the Dunwich building for what it was--a little Easter egg tucked away in a dark corner of the map.

Then Point Lookout dedicated an entire side quest to this shit, along with, from what I hear, Fallout 4 and by now the concept is just ridiculous.
Yeah, that's true. Also one of the vaults was like that too, Vault 106 I believe.

I like Liberty Prime; I thought he was funny and kind of cool. It's also a great bit of irony that he calls the Enclave communists when the Enclave are derived from the U.S. government, or a part of it.

Moira was nice. Her quest was nice.

The Pitt DLC was probably the best DLC in fallout 3 imo

**Aside; but @topic~ish
I resent Bethesda's handling of Harold in FO3, but I did find this article today:
https://joeparlock.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/why-i-cried-at-fallout-3s-quest-about-disability/

Interesting read. I agree with you that Harold was handled pretty badly in FO3. IMO, Harold is the kind of character that could have helped shore up some of the holes Bethesda have dug themselves into.

For instance, he can be the explanation for how stories from the West Coast reach the East Coast and viceversa. He is immune to radiation so that hazard doesnt impede him like it would other travelers, and is bizarre enough that raiders and other people might leave him alone.

It can also be an explanation of how the Institute got their hands on FEV. I hate giving Bethesda more excuses to continue reusing the FEV narrative device, but I still think its better to say that they got a sample from studying Harold than to leave it as the Prewar US government just handing a top secret military substance to any random jackass that does SCIENCE!. Hell, at this point Fantastic might as well have a spare vial of the damned thing lodged up his ass.

Anyways, now that I think of it, maybe its better that Bethesda kills Harold in FO3. While far from perfect and it definetly feels like a waste of an interesting character, I dont think I can trust Bethesda to not fuck up Harolds character at some point had he survived. The Kid in the Fridge quest might have been a Harold in the Fridge quest instead...

I think I need a shower now. I feel dirty after saying that...

The Pitt and everything about it. I wish there was a whole Fallout game based in The Pitt. Well written, tough quest decisions, great action and exploration. I always get chills crossing that bridge at the beginning of the DLC.

I enjoyed going through the Dunwich Building.
TBH I think i would have enjoyed it more if there was more to it than having occasional pre-war flashbacks in between the shooting up ghouls.

Like, if the lovecraftian elements had created a unique puzzle, or twist to the dungeon.

Back