This is legal, right?

Honkus

First time out of the vault
Or not?
Way back then i bought and played Fallout and Fallout 2(german)
Is downloading/installing/playing the english game legal?

Actually my first post...

German law applies btw. :D

Honkus said:
Or not?
Way back then i bought and played Fallout and Fallout 2(german)
Is downloading/installing/playing the english game legal?

Actually my first post...

German law applies btw. :D

Your downloading it in English? Well it's illegal if you didn't pay for it.

In a word, no. But the german versions of fallout are utter crap anyway, esp. the voice acting, buy yourself the originals, they are cheap as bread these days.

Let's assume this thread is about legally downloading the game with blood and running it in a country that fears and despises blood.

Per said:
Let's assume this thread is about legally downloading the game with blood and running it in a country that fears and despises blood.

That always cracked me up about Germany (and other European countries) they have some of the bloodiest history, yet they ban violent games, as if it makes up for it :clap:

but anyway, if you can buy them from GOG or buy the US versions off Amazon. GOG is the easiest way, since they are already updated and you just have to download them.

Hey, it's the same in the U.S. with more ... carnal adult themes in games :P. You also have enough politicians who constantly rip on violent games.

I recall reading something about comparing ratings/censorship in Europe and the US, and the focus was just like this. Any sex in US gets you rated M, and violence or blood in Europe gets the same thing. Good thing Fallout has both so that everyone rates it the same!

Well you already bought the german version right?
If its more of a moral rather then legal issue, nah its not wrong legally yeah...
The real question is if u bought it who would end up with the money?
Interplay or Bethesda?

thegaresexperience said:
Per said:

That always cracked me up about Germany (and other European countries) they have some of the bloodiest history, yet they ban violent games, as if it makes up for it :clap:

but anyway, if you can buy them from GOG or buy the US versions off Amazon. GOG is the easiest way, since they are already updated and you just have to download them.

It's not that easy.

Many of the laws regarding games have changed toward a more "friendly" attitude regarding violant games. Or course stuff like manhunt and such is not allowed here, but here Germany is not alone.

Since we have a office for games and some standarts regarding age rating its a lot better. And one thing cencorship does NOT happen with violant games. You can sell even a uncencored violant game here, its just that you hvae to face restrictions. For example no advertisting in the public, no public display etc. as long the game has no rating like 14+, 16+ or adult only etc.

The only thing our autorities really freak out is when you start to come up with nazi crap. But thats understandable. If you see the history around it here ...

When itcomes to games at the moment we are better then the US because here no heads explode when kidz see some tits in their games.

Crni Vuk said:
And one thing cencorship does NOT happen with violant games. You can sell even a uncencored violant game here, its just that you hvae to face restrictions. For example no advertisting in the public, no public display etc. as long the game has no rating like 14+, 16+ or adult only etc.

So there is no advertising for Fallout New Vegas, for example, allowed at all? That seems a little harsh-- is there advertisement for movies with violence allowed?

The only thing our autorities really freak out is when you start to come up with nazi crap. But thats understandable. If you see the history around it here ...

I don't really see the problem with having Nazis in games. I mean, I understand that it would be bad for a game to portray Nazism in a good light or something, but complete censorship? Completely eradicating mention of it doesn't seem like a good way to teach people to avoid it.

When itcomes to games at the moment we are better then the US because here no heads explode when kidz see some tits in their games.

I bet the kids' heads explode, maybe. :wink:

Little Robot said:
I don't really see the problem with having Nazis in games. I mean, I understand that it would be bad for a game to portray Nazism in a good light or something, but complete censorship? Completely eradicating mention of it doesn't seem like a good way to teach people to avoid it.
Now, letz not open that can of worms. I mean I dont agree completely with it either particularly as its more about rather cosmetics then anything, like WW2 simulations like IL Sturmovik had to remove the swastikas from the German planes, even though they have been there historicaly. That this is a bit of a nonsense really I can agree with.

But letz not discuss anything beside that like games which would for example glorify the nazi regime. That those cant be sold in the land which had the nazi regime goes without saying. And should be a no brainer really ;)

Little Robot said:
So there is no advertising for Fallout New Vegas, for example, allowed at all? That seems a little harsh-- is there advertisement for movies with violence allowed?
I havnt seen any. BUT I dont know if Vegas got any rating or if it had any rating at all. So I cant tell you anything about it.

And yes, movies obviously dont suffer the same stigmatisation like games. But one should not confuse movies with games here. Movies have been around for the past 100 years (or so) and they had to fight with the movies-make-our-kidz-violant just as like games now. Give it time and people will drop that as well.

But my point was only that we dont have that bad laws right now and there are nations with much worse restrictions like Australia (I think) where games get banned if they contain drugs for example. Well from what I know.

Crni Vuk said:
Little Robot said:
Now, letz not open that can of worms. I mean I dont agree completely with it either particularly as its more about rather cosmetics then anything, like WW2 simulations like IL Sturmovik had to remove the swastikas from the German planes, even though they have been there historicaly. That this is a bit of a nonsense really I can agree with.

But letz not discuss anything beside that like games which would for example glorify the nazi regime. That those cant be sold in the land which had the nazi regime goes without saying. And should be a no brainer really ;)

I agree with you, Crni. This is basically my perspective-- I'm not saying that games should portray Nazis in a good way or glorify them, but removing references to Nazi Germany in media even in a negative light encourages people to forget what happened, and those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it. This is just my opinion though.

Is Nazi imagery allowed in TV or movies? For example are swastikas or Adolf Hitler allowed to be portrayed in movies?

Most importantly, would this be banned?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSGQPzS0p5E[/youtube]

Crni Vuk said:
Little Robot said:

Little Robot said:
I havnt seen any. BUT I dont know if Vegas got any rating or if it had any rating at all. So I cant tell you anything about it.

And yes, movies obviously dont suffer the same stigmatisation like games. But one should not confuse movies with games here. Movies have been around for the past 100 years (or so) and they had to fight with the movies-make-our-kidz-violant just as like games now. Give it time and people will drop that as well.

But my point was only that we dont have that bad laws right now and there are nations with much worse restrictions like Australia (I think) where games get banned if they contain drugs for example. Well from what I know.

Games like the Hearts of Iron series treat Germany as any other nation, completely morally neutral when it comes to it.

Thomas de Aynesworth said:
Now would it be legal if I loaned Honkus Fallout 1 or 2 by giving him access to my GOG.com account?
Too late for that.
I already bought them. :)

thegaresexperience said:
Requete said:
The Austrian wersions are always uncesored. IRC. It's ironic when you think of it. :roll:

Not really. Different country different laws/morals regarding violence.

He propably means that it's ironic because Hitler was austrian. I find Germanys policy regarding youth protection much more ironic. Tätervolk-mentality right there.

Back