To what extent FO3 could be modded?

I think it will only be skins, at first at least.. and for a long time. Don't think they will let you up the dmg of weapons or lower hp of kids.

Well I suppose it depends on how it's done. With most games changing little variables like that is actually a lot easier than reskinning models. You can change the damage just by editing some text in a file somewhere, perhaps...

I don't know if they will have the sort of development kit that the elder scrolls games had, but if so then the FIRST thing you'll be seeing is changing of weapon damage etc. And if this is the case you will start seeing these small "realism" mods popping up on the day after release. (release of the SDK, that is)

As far as someone said for the Isometric view. That will be hard.

Cause you are not just changing the camera, you will have to allow the mouse to scroll the view (like the other games), also allow the mouse click to tell the Player character to move to that location.

Not to mention as a 3D game, when the Player enters or near the entrance of a building, you'd have to adjust the camera if it's multiple stories AND change the opacity of the ceiling so the camera can look into the building.

If people really want to do that, there is A LOT of work to make that happen. Not just what I posted above. And even then, that depends on what the modkit (if any) will allow.

Also with an iso perspective, you would have to work out combat. This IMO would be the hardest thing to do. An actual pause button would be necessary, sorta like Baldurs Gate. Also, dealing with enemies far away would be difficult. Hmm. You might have a spyglass thingy showing enemies out of eyesight that are attacking you. (I'm thinking something like crimson skies, when you are targeting an enemy). I don't know, whoever tries this is gonna be frustrated to make the system balanced.

Wooz said:
It's bad rep when modders make a better job than your own team...
Or a usefull recruiting tool. Ater all they did hire some of the people who made the highest rated mods for Morrowind and Oblivion.

Granted that may be why some of the things in F3 look the way they do.
The Dutch Ghost said:
Perhaps it was mentioned before but could those retarded self made weapons be replaced with something better?

eh. Part of the idea behind them existing originaly was that you have to scavenge everything for ammo/weapons because Everything is so freaking scarce from having been used for years. but from the looks of things that Idea was kind of droped.

Im trying to find back the explination of how the "tageting" worked (or not for the most part) in Obivion when it was not in first person. but from what I recall of what I have read in the current game the targeting pip is whats used (that > < thing on the screen) if thats correct then in theory all you will have to do is "sticky" the camera overhead while making it trackable, Unfortunatly the camera contrles seem to be locked so you would have to unlock the camera control while locking it in place . now the bad news. useing VATS is a "Stand still aim and shoot" option, not a 'Move shot move" deal. so while you go into "Wanted:Bullettime" mode your bascialy staning in Acme brand Coyote glue.

One of fallout's best qualities is that it always had options. To take one view that is already available and lock it into place, essentially locking out the other views gives you less in the way of options. It should be possible to lock the camera into place though if you wanted to. It would be a mod that probably wouldn't come out any time soon after release of the CS though.
Remember the TES-CS's were very dumbed down to allow anyone to to mod easily for it. External programs usually have to be created to do the things necessary to make what you are talking about happen. Programmers are probably the least common type of modder in any modding community.
There would be other problems associated with it also. VATS would probably have to be permanently locked on in order to hit anyone from a distance with a projectile weapon. And the VATS action cam (or whatever its called) is something you probably wont be able to make isometric ever. This means the game would play just like the vanilla fallout 3, just with less options instead for you the player.
I'm not going to say that having more views is more immerisive because I don't think I even know what immerisive means but I will always want more options in any game then less and as I said above, you can zoom out far enough to have an iso like view already.

If they don't release an official toolkit, how hard would it be to make the Oblivion toolkit to work in Fallout 3? Same engine, pretty sure the file types and structure haven't changed either.

You guys will get past the Iso view thing, there are far more important things that will need to be addressed.
[spoiler:92db6fb6a1]

• Quantity of songs played by GNR.
    Exploration Music.
    Making Everyone Killable.
    Filling those thousands of Empty Books lying on the ground everywhere.
    Adding relevant items like Vacuum Tubes to manufacture things.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Style cashes instead of the poor system in place right now.
    Selection of Weapons and adding favorite guns.
    Getting a Motorcycle to work.
[/spoiler:92db6fb6a1]

On the VATS issue:
[spoiler:92db6fb6a1]The Bullet-Time implementation works, even though the number of targets is reduced from the fallout games (no more go for the eyes, boo!). The slo-mo with projectiles is facinating to watch, and I think they got it right for a 3d game.[/spoiler:92db6fb6a1]

I don't think Half-Life needed any mods to sell copies. I admit I was tempted to get 1942 just for Desert Combat. But anyway, why is Bethesda such a poor developer?

If anything NPCs should be able to be made killable even without a CS. In Oblivion you could do that by modifying a command line in an .ini file.

Yeah, it could. On second thoughts it's not a particularly good idea considering the total lack of intelligence shown by the AI.

ok bad news, while its posible to "Stick" the camera in iso Pov and make the aimpoint freefloating, its not even remotly a good idea with the way their alleged graphic engine handles objects that would block your line of sight in that view(unless they re-wrote that from oblivion what aparently happend with the mod attempt was it uses the pov as the "fire from" point) because you cant shoot through them. So unless someone comes up with a better solution your stuck with the Existing first-over the sholder third person view

101_north said:
If they don't release an official toolkit, how hard would it be to make the Oblivion toolkit to work in Fallout 3? Same engine, pretty sure the file types and structure haven't changed either.

I suppose its possible but it be incredibly difficult not to mention illegal. I highly doubt anyone would take all that time to hack the TESCS knowing that a FCS will probably be out eventually and knowing that the program couldn't be openly distributed anyway.

101_north said:

It wouldn't be that difficult considering they both run on the same engine. The way scripts, objects, everything else program related would be virtually the same.

However, yes, reverse engineering is illegal, and I am pretty sure that's against the rules if I read correctly :P

What about adding item descriptions or so? I mean real descriptions for the weapons, drugs, etc.? Possible or more likely not?

And: Could it be possible to change the level up sound to a not that epic music like the beep in Fallout 1/2?

Back