TotalBiscuit on Fallout 4 a month after release

There are people that actually believe this?
Absolutely. Well, maybe not 100%, but think of it this way - most developers under EA makes pretty decent games. A lot of people like them, but EA gets greedy and sometimes ruin plenty of IPs by streamlining or monetising them.

As a result, the fans are left to try and justify what EA does because they don't want to throw crap at the developers, when in truth they could be protesting EA directly on their bullshit.

The main plot of Fallout 3 was an amalgamation of the stories of TES:Oblivion, Fallout 1 and Fallout 2; the main plot of Fallout 4 was Fallout 3 in reverse but with the war from New Vegas and the replicants from "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" ; the TES series has been a (arguably) solid rip off of Tolkienian literature since it's inception.
Bethesda's been ripping people off for an eternity shit the entire entertainment industry has been ripping people off for years.

Rip people off as in for their money. They haven't been doing this as aggressively as other infamous publishers has yet, but they're getting close.

Everyone everywhere "rips ideas off" in a way. It's called taking inspirations. When you don't bother to go into further depth and/or put a unique spin on it, and just copy it directly, that's when it becomes a rip-off. But that's not the kind of rip-off I was on about...

Rip people off as in for their money. They haven't been doing this as aggressively as other infamous publishers has yet, but they're getting close.

Everyone everywhere "rips ideas off" in a way. It's called taking inspirations. When you don't bother to go into further depth and/or put a unique spin on it, and just copy it directly, that's when it becomes a rip-off. But that's not the kind of rip-off I was on about...
Oh well in that case there was already that whole debacle with the horse armor and I imagine there will be some shitty DLC for Doom but otherwise Bethesda's always been very good with the public, in most people's eyes they're just as good as From Software or Valve.

Oh well in that case there was already that whole debacle with the horse armor and I imagine there will be some shitty DLC for Doom but otherwise Bethesda's always been very good with the public, in most people's eyes they're just as good as From Software or Valve.

Problem is, whether they really are or not, their treatment of their fanbase and the gaming community is slowly deteriorating. If they can make the recovery, good on them, whether Fallout stays complete and utter junk or not. But if they just go the way of every other publisher out there, well, I can see a lot of flying fire coming.

Problem is, whether they really are or not, their treatment of their fanbase and the gaming community is slowly deteriorating. If they can make the recovery, good on them, whether Fallout stays complete and utter junk or not. But if they just go the way of every other publisher out there, well, I can see a lot of flying fire coming.
The gaming community is so quick to forgive and forget so Bethesda have nothing to worry about.
People may not like Fallout 4 or the way Bethesda's reacted to the lore inconsistencies but the moment they release some DLC that uses the dialogue wheel correctly and allows you to roleplay they're in the clear; Even if they fail to do that Dishonored 2 is on the way and because allot of people don't understand the relationship between Publisher and Developer they'll be praised for Arkanes successes and then BAM they're everybody's best friends again.

The gaming community is so quick to forgive and forget so Bethesda have nothing to worry about.
People may not like Fallout 4 or the way Bethesda's reacted to the lore inconsistencies but the moment they release some DLC that uses the dialogue wheel correctly and allows you to roleplay they're in the clear; Even if they fail to do that Dishonored 2 is on the way and because allot of people don't understand the relationship between Publisher and Developer they'll be praised for Arkanes successes and then BAM they're everybody's best friends again.

There were several more people that came to Fallout 3 for the sub-par action than for the plot, and subsequently went to New Vegas for more of Fallout 3, going so far as to consider dialogue "boring" and usually just skipping most of them. The lore inconsistency matters none when the gameplay has been improved drastically. I keep wondering why these kind of gamers don't just stick with Far Cry games, but then I realise most of the mindless fans wants every game to be the same as their favourite and they complain with shitty reasoning if a game's not exactly like their favourite.

None of Bethesda Softworks' other subsidiaries seems to have ever recieved mixed reception like BGS does, though. It's more visible when BGS does it because when the publisher and the developer simultaneously fucks up, then all the criticism starts to flow very quickly.

But yes, it is hilarious that people have no idea what difference there is between a publisher and a developer. The best part is telling them face to face. Some people get confused when I say Battlefield is developed by DICE, not EA. This is a real thing. Is this because thanks to smart marketing, these large publishers are able to use developers as "hate shields"? It gets worse every time, especially when a publisher shuts down a developer because they were doing badly, even though it was primarily the publisher's fault.

I'm not sure where I was going with this.

People obviously expected some RPing and C&C in in FO4 if the user reviews are anything to go by and even if they found dialogue boring I'm sure everybody enjoyed building characters that could handle situations uniquely to other players PC's, that shit was my bread and butter at least.
Man don't bring up Publishers fucking up and causing Developers to close down, it always brings tears to my eyes...I miss you pandemic

People obviously expected some RPing and C&C in in FO4 if the user reviews are anything to go by and even if they found dialogue boring I'm sure everybody enjoyed building characters that could handle situations uniquely to other players PC's, that shit was my bread and butter at least.
Man don't bring up Publishers fucking up and causing Developers to close down, it always brings tears to my eyes...I miss you pandemic

Holy crap, Pandemic was the exact studio I had in mind when I mentioned that point. I guess it stands as the prime example of why so many gamers hate publishers. Not to mention developers themselves.

Most of the employees are now working with small dev teams on mostly generic multiplayer shooters. 343 Industries on Halo games, Respawn Entertainment on Titanfall, and Infinity Ward and Treyarch on Call of Duty. A waste of their potential if you ask me, but then I guess the best developers on the team probably faded away out of the industry.

Electronic Arts begun their descent into being a greedy megacorporation with Pandemic's closure, if I recall correctly.

Electronic Arts begun their descent into being a greedy megacorporation with Pandemic's closure, if I recall correctly.
Not hardly. EA has been feared and hated by developers in its employ since the 90s. Remember Ultima 7? One of the last games made by Origin before EA acquired them? Remember how the cube, sphere and tetrahedron generators were fucking up the world in that game? It was a cute bit of satire. EA's old logo:

44933-caveman-ugh-lympics-commodore-64-screenshot-electronic-arts.gif

Not hardly. EA has been feared and hated by developers in its employ since the 90s. Remember Ultima 7? One of the last games made by Origin before EA acquired them? Remember how the cube, sphere and tetrahedron generators were fucking up the world in that game? It was a cute bit of satire. EA's old logo:

44933-caveman-ugh-lympics-commodore-64-screenshot-electronic-arts.gif

Well, then recalled incorrectly it is, then. That makes the Pandemic closure the first time the majority of the gaming community saw EA's real intentions then? Or am I wrong on that count too?

Depends on what you consider to be the majority. EA have had a horrible reputation for a very long time. There was also the EA spouse debacle in 2004, which blew the whistle on the company's godawful working conditions and refusal to pay overworked employees overtime. There was a class action suit in 2006 over this as well. They're really just an asshole of a company, always have been, and have only gotten worse as they've gotten larger.

Jesus I just read the Ea-spouse journal, who wants to come with me to the EA offices to crucify the executives?

Bear in mind that that's 12 years old - I have heard that EA treat people in their employ better now than they did back then. (So it was probably silly of me to say they've only gotten worse.) Though I doubt this has anything to do with good will; if they could get away with it they'd probably use slave labour.

the main plot of Fallout 4 was Fallout 3 in reverse but with the war from New Vegas and the replicants from "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" ; the TES series has been a (arguably) solid rip off of Tolkienian literature since it's inception.
Bethesda's been ripping people off for an eternity shit the entire entertainment industry has been ripping people off for years.
I'd say synths were more the idea of asking a moron what Blade Runner was about after he read the synopsis on wikipedia; someone on the dev team said "oh like the Phillip K. Dick book?" At which point Pete Hines said " you said dick;" laughs all around.

I'd say synths were more the idea of asking a moron what Blade Runner was about after he read the synopsis on wikipedia; someone on the dev team said "oh like the Phillip K. Dick book?" At which point Pete Hines said " you said dick;" laughs all around.
If the person who read the Wikipedia entry was dyslexic then I guess I could see this happening.

Back